Software in Na'vi

Started by 'eylan na'viyä, April 27, 2010, 05:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'eylan na'viyä

because some of these projects came a bit to a standstill i decided to make a little project-summery for everything that has to do with translating software, operating systems and other kind of data.

if you haven't seen yet, also take a look at The Web in Na'vi

Summary:

Software/ProjectStatus(color)+Projectpage/thread link
Na'vi keyboard layout/ how to type1, 2, 3, 4, 5
"Proper subtitles for Avatar BD/DVD!"discussion
Operating system and otherdiscussion
"Conquer MS Word!!" & elseopen office spell checking, discussion, open office spell checking(old)
"Na'vi Firefox dictionary" & other mozilla applicationsspell checking for firefox & thunderbird , discussion, spell checking for firefox & thunderbird(old)
"Computational linguistics & Na'vi"discussion
"Na'vi - English Babylon dictionary"discussion,updated dictionary
Operain progess(>29%) opera spellchecking
Chromechrome spell checking
OSXspell checking for OSX 10.6+
Gnome/Ubuntuspell checking for gnome based applications under linux
Ideas:(Open source)

Audacity
7zip
notepad++
virtual box
vlc(big)
imgburn
open office(giant)
gimp(giant)
thunderbird(900kb)
Ideas:(Else)

trillianhttp://developer.ceruleanstudios.com/index.php/Talk:Trillian_in_Your_Language#Fun_Language http://developer.ceruleanstudios.com/index.php/Trillian_in_Your_Language not shure if this page is still relevant

Muzer

At some point I'll probably have a go at translating the software I use - this means parts of KDE, Opera, Xchat, Thunderbird and OpenOffice.org. I'll obviously post anything I make, and I'll try to get it included upstream too...
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

'eylan na'viyä

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

people, I just wanna say, the program by 'eylan na'viyä is awesome. X)
irayo. :D
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Muzer

I'm translating Opera at the moment. I'm approximately 2% done.

How would I go about installing the Opera dictionary?

'eylan na'viyä

it's the last item in the list. just follow the green link.

Muzer

I am approximately 7% done at translating Opera, after spending pretty much all afternoon and evening on it.

'eylan na'viyä

Thats quite a good progress for such a big application :) . i'm looking forward to see this project completed.

after making an opera spell checking dictionary i continued and also made one for google chrome:
its not integrated as clean as in opera or firefox but it works. (it shows up as danish dictionary)
to install it you have to select danish as spell checker in chrome. then close it and copy the da-DK-1-2.bdic file to:
-"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\Dictionaries" under windows xp
-"%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\Dictionaries" under vista or win7
-i guess somewhere in the home folder under linux.
when you open chrome again you can select danish as spell checker (which actually is the Na'vi spell checker)

like with Open Office there is no better way than this work-around.

----
only for developers:
when you want to create or update a dictionary you need convert_dict.exe and <dictname>.aff & <dictname>.dic (both converted to utf8 and "SET ISO8859-15" (or similar) changed to "SET UTF-8" in the .aff).
run (in same folder) "convert_dict.exe <dictname>" to create the bdic file

'eylan na'viyä

I read here that hunspell dictionaries also work with osx10.6+
Although i'm not able to test it, i think it should work out of the box:
Copy the Hunspell dictionary .dic & .aff file pair for Na'vi to ~/Library/Spelling or /Library/Spelling.
The latter location will make it available to all system users.

it also works with gnome based applications, eg: many of the applications in ubuntu.
copy both files to /usr/share/hunspell/ and also to /usr/share/myspell/dicts/
how spell checking is switched on depends on the application.

Muzer

I don't know much about spell checkers. Is there an easy way to convert hunspell files to aspell, or to use hunspell files in aspell? KDE uses aspell, and it'd be nice to have it in KDE too...

Muzer

15% done at the moment!

I've slipped in a little "easter egg" of sorts. When I release it, see if you can spot it in the translation!

HINT #1:
HINT #2:

Maybe someone familiar with this sort of thing can guess what I've done before I even release it :P

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: Muzer on May 31, 2010, 12:10:34 PM
I don't know much about spell checkers. Is there an easy way to convert hunspell files to aspell, or to use hunspell files in aspell? KDE uses aspell, and it'd be nice to have it in KDE too...
actually i don't know too much about spell checkers. i only found out that hunspell is quite widespread and then searched how to make packages for each supporting application. all packages are based on the same files. afaik hunspell is the only spellchecker that allows to define complex affixes. (hunspell was originally made for Hungarian because it wasnt possible to make a good spell ckeck with the existing alternatives).
If there was a script for converting(i didn't find any) it would unfortunately only work with loss of quality. i fear the only way to get an acceptable Na'vi spell check in Kde is to wait until they change to hunspell too.

Tompa'Ivong

For the keyboard layout, why not AutoHotkey

www.autohotkey.com

I wrote a simple script that replaces the c and b keys with ä and ì, but with a bit of tweaking you could make use of unused keys (best things that come to mind are -=/[]\, and stuff on the numpad, along with tilde (`), these keys could easily be remapped, you could even set up macros for ng, kx, tx, px, ll, and rr

here is the script i used for the key changes, I will edit this post when I do a few updates

{
c::ì ;
b::ä ;
return ;
}

"peu to fwa tskxefa ayuti ska'a lu sìltsan? Tskxe a kllkxem ulte fpi nga ayuti ska'a.
—Toggo, goblin weaponsmith

Muzer

I wonder if anyone on this forum has an Optimus Maximus... that would be fun to type Na'vi on :P

'eylan na'viyä

Quote from: Muzer on June 01, 2010, 03:25:39 AM
I wonder if anyone on this forum has an Optimus Maximus... that would be fun to type Na'vi on :P

i think this has also been mentioned in one of the keyboard threads and considered as a bit pricy  :P

i wonder how the wireing inside the keyboard looks  :)

Muzer

18% done - I didn't do much at all today or yesterday, I've been repairing computers. I might try in bed tonight if I feel awake enough :P

'eylan na'viyä

nice.
Do you think there is a possibility that the opera publishers would add this translation to the official list?

Muzer

I doubt it. It won't stop me from trying, however - I just think it might look a little unprofessional if you have a constructed language in the list :P

(Opera's quite odd, as it isn't open-source, and up until (relatively) recently was shareware too - now it's free on almost all platforms as they get money from Nintendo for the Wii and DS browsers, phone companies including Nokia for their Opera-based browsers, and search engines including Google for being the default. However, most of the developers still develop it as if it were software that people were paying for rather than downloading it for free - which is mostly a good thing since it ends up being VERY high-quality, but sometimes causes problems - for example, the UI recently changing to something much less useable that just looks better (fortunately it's easy to change back)... because of this attitude, I doubt they would put Na'vi in there)

'eylan na'viyä

Yeah,... that is also my feeling about opera. But there is commercial software that does put in such translations. Eg trillian did it:
http://developer.ceruleanstudios.com/index.php/Trillian_in_Your_Language
http://developer.ceruleanstudios.com/index.php/Talk:Trillian_in_Your_Language#Fun_Language

Muzer

Lol - Cockney rhyming slang - epic!

Well that's got me hopeful now :P