Mipa Zìsìt, Aylì’u Amip — New Words for the New Year

Started by Lance R. Casey, January 09, 2012, 05:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance R. Casey

// Lance R. Casey

Plumps

Did anybody else notice txopu sleyku ??? I would have expected txopu seyki

Tanri

During "first round" of reading, in the hunt for new words, I was happy with a fact that I got the meaning ;). I let grammar questions out of my mind.

Now as I am looking at that, it's strange. It's written like if "txopu" was an adjective, with meaning "having fear".

edit: I am afraid that the new proverb fits just perfectly on me.
"Särawn" is interesting too. Example provided tells me that there will not be any *särawntu - as possible difference between replacement (thing) and substitute (person).
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Kamean

Fralì'u yeio' nìwotx. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Plumps on January 09, 2012, 12:16:43 PM
this. I noticed it too, but wasn't sure if I'm missing something or not.

QuoteNow as I am looking at that, it's strange. It's written like if "txopu" was an adjective, with meaning "having fear".
edit: I am afraid that the new proverb fits just perfectly on me.
"Särawn" is interesting too. Example provided tells me that there will not be any *särawntu - as possible difference between replacement (thing) and substitute (person).
but slu is used with nouns, not with adjective, srak?

As I'm reading the post again, seems that I missed some sentences, hmmm
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Plumps

Quote from: Kamean on January 09, 2012, 02:13:11 PM
Fralì'u lu yeio' nìwotx. :)

;) yo' = vin.

Quote from: Blue Elf on January 09, 2012, 02:34:57 PM
but slu is used with nouns, not with adjective, srak?

Hm, no, not necessarily ... we have both instances with muntxa slu and phrases like Txewì slu (ne) tsamsiyu etc.

But there's a problem for me to grasp "something made the banshee to become 'fear'" that is difficult for me ... Well, I asked about it ... maybe K. Pawl will answer :)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

What K. Pawl wrote here wasn't txopu sleyku but txopu sleykolatsu- a virtuoso example of verb infixing. Taken together, the phrase is 'apparently caused to become fear(ful)', which seems to be a pretty good approximation of 'fearful'. Still, I think Plumps may very well be on to a new piece of grammar that K. Pawl has not completely explained.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

wm.annis

The question is, is this supposed to be the causative of txopu si or txopu lu.  The translation rather hints at txopu si, which is confusing here.  But I expect oddities with lu.  Some languages would not allow that verb to take a causative, and there have been a few other instances where he seems to prefer sleyku with adjectives, and specifically adjectives of emotion. That may override ADJ si constructions' normal causative.

Regardless, hopefully K. Pawl will address this in the comments.

Toruk Makto

Thought I would cross-post to here that the new words are now in the dictionary. New version is 12.37.

Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tirea Aean

caught that. but didn't think it significant until I saw your comment concerning it.

Also, just saw wm.annis's post and I thank him for that brief explanation. I suspected that to be the case.

Carborundum

Quote from: wm.annis on January 10, 2012, 04:02:21 PM

The question is, is this supposed to be the causative of txopu si or txopu lu.  The translation rather hints at txopu si, which is confusing here.  But I expect oddities with lu.  Some languages would not allow that verb to take a causative, and there have been a few other instances where he seems to prefer sleyku with adjectives, and specifically adjectives of emotion. That may override ADJ si constructions' normal causative.

Regardless, hopefully K. Pawl will address this in the comments.
But txopu is a noun.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.