Kamean

Txantsan! Tivìng nari pxiswaway. :D
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Seze Mune

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Seze Mune on March 28, 2012, 06:05:53 PM
Wou!  Tsat yawne lu oer!
Nìngay tsaw yawne lu oer nìteng! :D

That (thing) is indeed beloved to me, too!
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

Well, very useful post, with words we need. But what is unclear to me is term "ambitransitive" verb.
It's clear to me that transitive verb can be used without object, so it works like intransitive, but this construction was often called "antipassive". So are these two terms equivalent or is there any difference?
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Plumps

Interesting question. I'm afraid, someone more versed in linguistics needs to answer that.

I was actually surprised to see the rule about 'll and 'rr not changing by lenition before ay+
me+ and pxe+ I get because ll and rr can't start a syllable. But wouldn't *ayllngo just syllabify as {a.yll.ngo}?

wm.annis

Quote from: Plumps on March 31, 2012, 07:14:54 PMI was actually surprised to see the rule about 'll and 'rr not changing by lenition before ay+
me+ and pxe+ I get because ll and rr can't start a syllable. But wouldn't *ayllngo just syllabify as {a.yll.ngo}?

It may be best to simply think of this as a rule.

Ftiafpi

Just want to make sure that nobody missed this in the comments as well:

QuoteMikko Wilson says:
March 31, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Ma Pawl,

I've been trying to find the word(s) to express something common on Pandora we also have where I live; and I think, hope, you may have just provided the necessary parts to say it as correctly as possible – unless there is a specific word (/created) for it.

What might I be (trying to be) referring to if I said: Tawsyuratan ?

Irayo,

– Mikko
QuotePawl says:
April 1, 2012 at 8:38 am

Ìì . . . I would guess that tawsyuratan (lì'u alor!) refers to the aurora. Oeru tìyawr srak? :-)
QuoteMikko Wilson says:
April 1, 2012 at 11:49 am

Srane! Txantsan! :)

I'll use that until/unless a more specific word is created.

Irayo ma Karyu Pawl!

– Mikko
QuotePawl says:
April 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm

We don't need a more specific word. The one you created is now officially the word for aurora! :-)

Swoka Swizaw

Quote from: Ftiafpi on April 03, 2012, 11:59:19 AM

Pawl says:
April 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm

We don't need a more specific word. The one you created is now officially the word for aurora! :-)

Well done. Huzzah for impromptu innovation.

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Plumps on March 31, 2012, 07:14:54 PM
Interesting question. I'm afraid, someone more versed in linguistics needs to answer that.

I was actually surprised to see the rule about 'll and 'rr not changing by lenition before ay+

Prefixed ay always stays together in a syllable, because it is a diphthong, or basically . Ex: ay-ik-ran but not *a-yi-kran. The latter would sound like there's some adjective *yikran that modifies a noun before it.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng on June 18, 2012, 10:16:32 PM
Quote from: Plumps on March 31, 2012, 07:14:54 PM

Prefixed ay always stays together in a syllable, because it is a diphthong, or basically . Ex: ay-ik-ran but not *a-yi-kran. The latter would sound like there's some adjective *yikran that modifies a noun before it.
Not sure about it. There's rule that if ay/ey is followed by vowel, it is not diphthong (ya.yo, not yay.o; also: syllable can't end by -y).
"kran" syllable is prohibited; in CCVC syllables first C can be just s, ts or f. So it can be a.yik.ran. IMHO rules for syllabification aren't clearly given, on the other hand - are they necessary? Is syllabification important in some way?
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Plumps

That's what I ask myself a lot lately, ma BE ;)
Because there seems to be a rising amount of questions these past few months concerning syllabification

Irtaviš Ačankif

QuoteThere's rule that if ay/ey is followed by vowel, it is not diphthong (ya.yo, not yay.o; also: syllable can't end by -y).
I think that only applies in base words, and even there, there are exceptions (tsway.on) being an example.

I have never heard anybody pronounce ayikran as a.yik.ran before, only as ay.ik.ran.
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

love the syuratan and syura concept  ;D
yuey is a li'u alor too!
kosman!
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)