Weather Part 2 and a bit more

Started by Na'viteri Bot, May 05, 2011, 06:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na'viteri Bot

Paul Frommer's blog: http://naviteri.org/

Ftiafpi

Tewti! The bot's on-time for once. Did tsmukan Markì do something to it?

Toruk Makto

I fiddled with it, but not sure I am actually responsible for fixing anything...

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Plumps

Alright, I don't want to clutter up the blog. Here's some room for discussion:

We have the distinct questions for weather states now... When we mì 'rrta say 'how's the weather?' we don't tend to distinguish between rain falling or sun shining or cloudy skies. We can tell about all these states from the first question.

Does the existence of yari somwewpe? and tawri pefya? mean that we can't speak about clouds, temperature or wind when the other person asked yafkeyk pefya?

???

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Plumps on May 06, 2011, 12:43:11 AM
Does the existence of yari somwewpe? and tawri pefya? mean that we can't speak about clouds, temperature or wind when the other person asked yafkeyk pefya?

Why? I don't think yafkeyk pefya can only be related to precipitation.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Plumps on May 06, 2011, 12:43:11 AM
Alright, I don't want to clutter up the blog. Here's some room for discussion:

We have the distinct questions for weather states now... When we mì 'rrta say 'how's the weather?' we don't tend to distinguish between rain falling or sun shining or cloudy skies. We can tell about all these states from the first question.

???

Plumps, I am not at all sure I understand what you are getting at here. The answer to 'how's the weather' could include all the states you mentioned and many more. Although I haven't exhaustively analyzed all of the weather terms in K. Pawl's two posts, there is enough there to indicate a lot of states (but not all states). (We also do not fully understand Pandoran weather, either. Are there weather process there we don't experience here? With such a chemically  active atmosphere, I would not be surprised if there were some other phenomena.)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Plumps

Well, my point was...

Say, if you have a dialogue situation where A asks yafkeyk za'u pefya, could B actually answer taw lu lepwopx or does B have to 'wait' for the tawri fyape question?

:-\ maybe it's a stupid question... nevermind. Right now, I think that the yafkeyk-question is an overall question to which one can answer from temperature to rain and wind. It's only when the 'special' questions (taw and ya) are asked that one must answer according to the point of reference (either taw or ya)

Kamean

Quote from: Plumps on May 10, 2011, 03:25:01 PM
Well, my point was...

Say, if you have a dialogue situation where A asks yafkeyk za'u pefya, could B actually answer taw lu lepwopx or does B have to 'wait' for the tawri fyape question?

:-\ maybe it's a stupid question... nevermind. Right now, I think that the yafkeyk-question is an overall question to which one can answer from temperature to rain and wind. It's only when the 'special' questions (taw and ya) are asked that one must answer according to the point of reference (either taw or ya)

I think answer would be yes. We're also talking:
- What's the weather?
- Cloudy.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.