A response from Paul Frommer!

Started by Payoang, January 20, 2010, 02:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na'rìng

Eywa ngahu ma smukan.
Eywa'evengä yawne lu oeru.

It kraon. XD!!! (Speak it the Na'vi way)

Is.

Quote from: Na'rìng on January 23, 2010, 05:07:07 PM
Oe tìyawn Pawl sì learnnavi.org! Irayo!

Hey, Na'rìng! What's up?

Just wanted to point out that tìyawn is not a verb, but a noun. (That is, you can't use it like this: I love Paul and learnnavi.org). We unfortunately don't have a verb for love yet.

You could say: Oer Pawl sì learnnavi.org yawne lu. (Which literally means Paul and learnnavi.org are beloved to me.)

Na'rìng

Quote from: Is. on January 23, 2010, 05:22:36 PM
Quote from: Na'rìng on January 23, 2010, 05:07:07 PM
Oe tìyawn Pawl sì learnnavi.org! Irayo!

Hey, Na'rìng! What's up?

Just wanted to point out that tìyawn is not a verb, but a noun. (That is, you can't use it like this: I love Paul and learnnavi.org). We unfortunately don't have a verb for love yet.

You could say: Oer Pawl sì learnnavi.org yawne lu. (Which literally means Paul and learnnavi.org are beloved to me.)

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware that 'tìyawn' is just defined as a noun... This language is moe intriquing and complex then I has originally thought... Even more appreciation to Paul Frommer! The development of this language is very well thought out! It really makes me wonder the sophistication of the next two Avatar sequels pertaining the use of the language!

Oer Pawl sì learnnavi.org yawne lu! (thanks for the fix, Is.)
Eywa ngahu ma smukan.
Eywa'evengä yawne lu oeru.

It kraon. XD!!! (Speak it the Na'vi way)

markus031098

Is it only me who saw the message at the end "From our friend Markus from Galway, Let Na'vi bloom" Or did he actually put up my message?
I'm getting a pet viperwolf for Christmas!

markus031098

Is it only me who saw the message "From our young friend Markus from Galway Let Na'vi bloom!" Or did he actually post my message?
I'm getting a pet viperwolf for Christmas!

Is.

Hello, 'ewana Markus. You're famous!

;)

Unilmokri

Quote from: Seabass on January 20, 2010, 02:12:08 PM

Listen to the letter, as read by Dr. Frommer himself!

*Goes into a slight seizure*
I was completely not prepared for that amount of awesome.
Is fantastic to have a soundclip of that length to use for reference - and by Eywa I hope the specific people in charge of the Na'vi language release get a move on so we can get to more learning!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.       - John Stuart Mill

Erimeyz

I'd been wondering who he was talking about.  And yes, unless you know some other Markus from Galway, I'm sure he meant you!

Congratulations!  A wonderful sentiment, and no wonder Karyu Pawl picked it up!

- Eri

Ftiafpi

Quote from: markus031098 on January 24, 2010, 01:17:59 PM
Is it only me who saw the message "From our young friend Markus from Galway Let Na'vi bloom!" Or did he actually post my message?

Yes, he meant you "our young friend". I do believe you are one of the youngest learners of Na'vi and I guess Frommer thinks this is something special and I would agree.

Swokéyan

Very interesting!
I hope people will keep signing until we reach OVER NINETHOUSAAAAAND SIGNS :D
Lurkin' the forums
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play)

Payoang

Quote from: markus031098 on January 24, 2010, 01:17:59 PM

Hi Markus - you're famous indeed! You've spawned the site's new slogan. Let Na'vi bloom! :)

Rain

Has anyone thought about a literal translation of this letter? i figure that by doing so, we can learn what new words he may have used and even possibly some new conjugation rules. Of course, this is only a suggestion.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: Rain on January 24, 2010, 11:07:09 PM
Has anyone thought about a literal translation of this letter? i figure that by doing so, we can learn what new words he may have used and even possibly some new conjugation rules. Of course, this is only a suggestion.

Quote from: Seabass on January 20, 2010, 02:12:08 PM
For closer analysis of the Na'vi, please see the post in the intermediate forum

Mattfiji

Yay!!! I love it! Outstanding, this should help us with some of the pronunciation on the Na'vi.  :)
Im sooooo Happy!!!

Kayrìlien

The recording of Paul speaking Na'vi has definitely helped me out with pronunciation. Ideally I would like to be able to speak the language without any traces of a California English accent. W00t!

Kayrìlion

Purzu

This is just AWESOME!!!

to read and hear directly from the Father... it's a gift that we need to take care..
By that way we can study via this letter on how they are pronunced and used with in/suf/a-fixes :)

Oe Pawlru ireiyo seiyi niftxavang!!!

Eywa ayngahu ayeylan oeyä

Purzu
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith
Kifkey lamatængem; oel pot tsun'efu mi pay, oel pot tsun'efu mi kllte sì tsun fahey ta ya

archaic

Ohe ngengti kameie

Irayo Pawl

Ivong Na'vi

Eywa ngahu.

Ta snumìna 'eylan Archaic
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Raltaw

Let's just hope FOX will hand Paul the rights to the language and not hog it themselves, thus destroying hope of Na'vi ever becoming developed.  :'(

archaic

Quote from: Rain on January 24, 2010, 11:07:09 PM
Friends(more than 4) my and friend(singular?)  [can't find it, but at a guess 'lì'fyayä'=language-of] the-Na'vi all:

I you(more than one) see, of my friends, and give-you(more one) [can't find it, but at a guess 'seiyi'=speak-sincerely] thank-you. Sent you(more than one & Ergative-Transitive Agent)...

At this point my poor understanding of english language tech' terms stops me dead.

...- so passionatly that message-from-you[I think]...

That's as far as this skxawng can get, and there'll be many mistakes in there, for sure.

Please show me where I went wrong as I can only learn from my mistakes.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.