Conlang Study at MIT is Looking for Na'vi Learners

Started by Toruk Makto, September 12, 2022, 03:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

wm.annis

I was not in the study, but I did attend the talks remotely.

The conlanger talks were fine. David and Jessie's talk about how to do collaborative conlangs successfully was interesting. Mark Okrand and Paul's talks about Klingon and Na'vi were familiar territory for anyone who has heard them give general talks before. They were aiming at a general audience who were probably not familiar with either language already.

The talks from the researchers were quite interesting. Based on preliminary data, it seems that people's brains process conlangs in the same parts of the brain that handles natural languages. In some ways this isn't really a surprise, but they wanted to eliminate the possibility they were treated like puzzles. Also, neither math nor programming languages particularly activate language areas of the brain, which I am happy to learn. From time to time people want to claim that programming and natural languages are in some ways similar. Knowing both, I always have argued that they are not really alike, and that the term "programming language" is a kind of conceptual pun. Now I can also say that our brains don't consider them similar, either.

Toliman

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ngawng on November 21, 2022, 08:31:43 AM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on November 18, 2022, 06:30:44 PM
Any report back from this? How did it go?
Fì'u! How was it?  :o

It was pretty cool :o

I had never been in an MRI machine before or even seen one in real life before this. I never realized how loud they are when they scan. Such a weird experience but not bad. Really looking forward to the paper coming out! Participants apparently get a free gif of their brain model/activity on Google Drive ;D

After the talks, (which wm.annis very aptly described), there was a reception sort of thing with some light food and 2 free drinks (I was surprised to see that we could just go to MIT and drink at a research event. This would so not be a thing at my alma mater). Everyone was there, the researchers, the conlang creators, and the participants. everyone kinda just mingled and had chats. It was really cool talking to Esperanto and Klingon speakers. There was also one guy there for Dothraki, he was awesome too :) One of the Klingon speaker participants gathered what must be the majority of the other enthusiasts to hang out at a bar and chat further. And what not and stuff. Fun night.

Toliman

That sounds such great, it's a pity that it was too far from me...

Ngawng

Quote from: wm.annis on November 22, 2022, 12:01:31 PM
I was not in the study, but I did attend the talks remotely.

The conlanger talks were fine. David and Jessie's talk about how to do collaborative conlangs successfully was interesting. Mark Okrand and Paul's talks about Klingon and Na'vi were familiar territory for anyone who has heard them give general talks before. They were aiming at a general audience who were probably not familiar with either language already.

The talks from the researchers were quite interesting. Based on preliminary data, it seems that people's brains process conlangs in the same parts of the brain that handles natural languages. In some ways this isn't really a surprise, but they wanted to eliminate the possibility they were treated like puzzles. Also, neither math nor programming languages particularly activate language areas of the brain, which I am happy to learn. From time to time people want to claim that programming and natural languages are in some ways similar. Knowing both, I always have argued that they are not really alike, and that the term "programming language" is a kind of conceptual pun. Now I can also say that our brains don't consider them similar, either.
Absolutely fascinating! Irayo :D

29.f.australia

Ngawng

Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 22, 2022, 11:27:40 PM

I had never been in an MRI machine before or even seen one in real life before this. I never realized how loud they are when they scan. Such a weird experience but not bad. Really looking forward to the paper coming out! Participants apparently get a free gif of their brain model/activity on Google Drive ;D

After the talks, (which wm.annis very aptly described), there was a reception sort of thing with some light food and 2 free drinks (I was surprised to see that we could just go to MIT and drink at a research event. This would so not be a thing at my alma mater). Everyone was there, the researchers, the conlang creators, and the participants. everyone kinda just mingled and had chats. It was really cool talking to Esperanto and Klingon speakers. There was also one guy there for Dothraki, he was awesome too :) One of the Klingon speaker participants gathered what must be the majority of the other enthusiasts to hang out at a bar and chat further. And what not and stuff. Fun night.
That sounds amazing! I'm jelly ngl :D

29.f.australia

Toliman

Quote from: Ngawng on November 27, 2022, 01:11:57 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on November 22, 2022, 11:27:40 PM

That sounds amazing! I'm jelly ngl :D
Me too :D

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

It grieves me deeply that I had to miss this. I should reach out to the researchers one more time, but it sounds like they got the data they needed.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]