Conlangs, TED, and a brief mention of LearnNa'vi.org

Started by Ftiafpi, October 01, 2013, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftiafpi

A great video discussing the brief history of conlangs and they're evolution. Tolkien's Elvish gets a front row seat but Na'vi, Dothraki, and Klingon also feature prominently. LearnNa'vi.org is also briefly alluded to. A really great short video in my mind.

Are Elvish, Klingon, Dothraki and Na'vi real languages? - John McWhorter

Tìtstewan

^Nice video! :D Irayo!

The example with the elvish word "kwendi" and "pendi" is like the real languages. A consonant shift from "kw" -> "p".
Same here with Hand:
manus, main, mano, mână

Interesting!

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

txantsan! Athdavrazar! (Dothraki)

Very nicely done!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

archaic

Tolkien was the first, put a lot of work into his world, and yes the languages, he was the pioneer, he broke new that ground. However, Elvish is in reality based on a reconstruction of European languages, it has shortcomings in it's strictest Tolkienian form, with dedicated fans working to fill in the blanks - mostly at various gatherings.

Tolkien was the pioneer, those who have followed - such as David J. Peterson, Marc Okrand, James Doohan, karyu Pawl and others - have had a trail laid down already, what works and what doesn't are laid bear for all to see.

Those who have come after have gone further by starting on the shoulders of that literary giant, Tolkien.
Imho.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Tìtstewan

There was constructed languages before Tolkien, Esparanto for example...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: archaic on October 04, 2013, 01:20:28 PM
Tolkien was the first, put a lot of work into his world, and yes the languages, he was the pioneer, he broke new that ground. However, Elvish is in reality based on a reconstruction of European languages, it has shortcomings in it's strictest Tolkienian form, with dedicated fans working to fill in the blanks - mostly at various gatherings.

Tolkien was the pioneer, those who have followed - such as David J. Peterson, Marc Okrand, James Doohan, karyu Pawl and others - have had a trail laid down already, what works and what doesn't are laid bear for all to see.

Those who have come after have gone further by starting on the shoulders of that literary giant, Tolkien.
Imho.

Ma Archaic, I see you mentioned James Doohan. Did he do more than just come up with a few words that became the basis for Klingon?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

archaic

Not really - afaik - but he was the driving force behind the original sound concept for Klingon.
Or he may have just had something stuck in his throat.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

CyanRachel

Irayo, Ftiafpi, for posting that video. Very interesting -- I enjoyed it!  :D
Two other conlangs that come to mind are the Atlantean language from Disney's "Atlantis" film, and the Kryptonian language as developed for the "Man of Steel" film.
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.