Irayo.

Started by Payoang, December 18, 2011, 02:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payoang

I saw Avatar exactly two years ago. After having been excited about the movie via all the trailers, images, spoilers, and info about it I could find, I convinced one of my friends to see the 3D midnight opening with me.

Much like all of you, my mind was racing after the movie ended. It was three in the morning, I was wide awake, couldn't sleep, and needed to find out everything about the movie. I bought the soundtrack, ordered posters, and looked up things on the wiki. I tried looking up lyrics for the songs, and all were listed as "instrumental" by the various semi-reputable lyrics websites. I eventually found Language Log, with Paul Frommer's guest post about Na'vi, and eventually decided to collect the information on a single website.

The website went viral, transforming my relatively calm Christmas vacation at home into a magical experience. I barely slept, saw Avatar several more times, and found myself becoming part of a blossoming community. I'm sure many of you have similar stories.

So, not only a thank you to Paul Frommer, James Cameron, Lightstorm Entertainment, and all the creative minds who have contributed to the making of one of the most inspiring films I have ever seen, but a thank-you to you. You have changed my life. I don't consider myself much of a founder/administrator, but rather an enabler, or catalyst, for having brought together so many fantastic people. As someone once said, I simply "opened the door."

Thank you to all for being here, for sharing your time and lives, for helping put on events like AvatarMeet, for being one of the most amazing communities I have ever had the honor of being part of.

Sebastian "Payoang" Wolff

akiwiguy

On behalf of everyone here, I would like to say thanks to YOU, ma Payoang.
Because if you didn't "open the door", we wouldn't all be here today.
We wouldn't have the info we do now about this beautiful language.
And we wouldn't have all become the huge, extended family we are.
-hugs-

'Oma Tirea

Oheri tìreyti ngengal sì Uniltìrantokxìl leykolateiem nìtxan frakrr :D ;D :D

Lu ayoheyä meuia fwa fìtsengur ziva'u.

*Goes to celebrate the 2-year anniversary of AVATAR and this forum*

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Skxawng

two years. wild.

Two years ago I was driving 6 hours back to my home and reading a few basic words nìna'vi off a hastily written piece of graph paper to remember simple things, like I, you, me, hunter, and so on. One night on the yahoo email list this website came into creation and I went into an odd frenzy of learning both the language of linguistics and the language of avatar, as well as being a part of the community, and helping to build it. I was home for over two weeks, but during the entire time I was spending over 80% of my day on the website, responding to topics, building forums and writing worksheets that are undoubtedly incorrect at this point. I met people who I clicked with almost immediately, some of the best people I've ever met.  After seeing the film 8 times I wasn't sure why I was so drawn to it. All that I knew was that it resonated with me on a level deeper than most movies have ever.  Thank you, sebastian, for allowing this site to exist, for the connections made, for some of the most memorable experiences of my life that came from this enabling internet forum.

I didn't see the previews for the movie. I wasn't expecting anything when I bought my first ticket. I was just going along with my friends who seemed excited for the movie, excited to see what Cameron had to offer after years of creative silence. I left the theater blown away, touched in an odd way i've never felt, and it suck with me. Those who I went with enjoyed it, but they didn't kame.

To this day I have a hard time explaining just why it was such a deeply entrancing film for me. It just is. 

two years. It seems like a month.

"prrkxentrrkrr is a skill best saved for only the most cunning linguist"

Zefanaya

Word's. Weather they be Na'vi or English, can never accurately describe how much Avatar has changed my life, how much it touched me. Avatar hit at my core being, changed me. When I bought my first ticket, it was just so I could see what all the hype was about. I was originally against the movie, stubborn and short sited. I had no reason to be against it, I just was. I finally got tired of hearing about it, so I walked into my local theatre one night, bound and determined to leave with my hate justified. Instead I left in tears and with my mind racing and open to so many new things.

I found LN like so many others, trying to figure out what the songs sung niNa'vi meant. I quickly found that this was an amazing community and I felt very at home. Avatar and this community have pushed me to be a better person, to explore different paths, look at the world in a different way. To put it simply, Jim, LSE, Payoagn, and the LN/Avatar community, changed my life.

I'd probably still be a stuck up, short sited txim if not for Avatar and you all.

Irayo and happy Avatar Day!
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

Toruk Makto

You folks are reading my mind and have said pretty much what I want to say, so I will just give a big "ditto"!

Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tanri

Irayo.
Fìlì'u a'aw zera'u nìtsìsyì ta meseyri oeyä.
Lì'u a numeyul peng, krr a pol teruvon re'oti eo karyu sneyä.
Lì'u a ke lu letrrtrr, taluna fìlì'ut peng fu stawm a krr tuteo tuteoru alahe srung sì tìprrte' soleiyi.
Tse, pereng oe san Irayo frapor!

Thank to you all, who founded and created this amazing place,
thank to you all, who fills it with spirit of Pandora,
and last but not least, thank you to all who breathe life to it, be it in the past, today or tommorrow.
Let this day be beautiful for you all, whether under the shining sun, whether hiding under the dark clouds.

...ma eylan oeyä.
Tanri
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 18, 2011, 04:48:20 AM
You folks are reading my mind and have said pretty much what I want to say, so I will just give a big "ditto"!

Markì

Ricardo

My Avatar experience began over a year after the movie's official start.
When I heard "there's a fantastic new movie with dramatically nice special effects" I only thought "yes, maybe, but this is no reason to watch it."
After the Christmas holidays some friends talked about Avatar while changing in the locker room. Me: "You watched it? How was it?" They: "Great." Me: "Did you watch it in 3D?" They: "Yes, jealous?" Me: "No, why?"
Later I noticed it became the most successfull movie ever. My thoughts: "Yes, now it's even the most successfull movie, but not really necessary to watch it."

The year 2010 was passing and I never came in contact with Avatar again. Untill Christmas.
At prime time of the 25th of december pay TV channel "Sky Cinema (HD)" showed Avatar (the original cinema version and 2D. 3D was available only for Sky UK. They everytime have the better channel politics, however). I sat at home and decided to watch it. It was free, I had not to go anywhere to, I paid the pay TV channel, so I was going to watch it.

It changed my opinion completely. From one day to the other I noticed all the effects on me that Payoang described. Then I was mad about myself for never watching it while it was comfortabely possible.
For circa two weeks I agonized what to do. On 6th of January, Three Kings Day, I traveled the 250 km to the cinema in Berlin per car, train and feet. Unfortunately it was a very cold day with snow everywhere and, even worse, ice everywhere on the sidewalks. It was a really adventure to get there (and back).

Finally I watched the first time a movie in cinema after I watched it in TV.
It took nearly 17 hours and 150 € but it was worth it.

Meanwhile I registered at this community. It is the most friendly I ever met.
In this one year I bought myself a 3D projector for my home and one of the friends I told about above was so kind to give me the 3D version of Avatar which is, till today, normally given with a Samsung product I never wanted to buy because of the prices.

I'm really excited that Christmas is just some days away now. It will be my first anniversary and to celebrate it I will watch Avatar again at the same time I did it one year before.

CyanRachel

Yay! Happy 2-year Anniversary/Birthday to Avatar! Can't believe it's been 2 yrs already.  :)

A big IRAYO to all involved, from the film people, to the people of all the fansites out there.  :D

Now bring on the sequels!  ;)
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

Taronyu

Nawmtirea

I've been an invisible member of this site for almost 2 years now, (having spent most of my time with the shenanigans on NaviBlue) and I would like to thank Payoang for originally starting up this site in the first place, and for all of the countless hours that he has put into maintaining this site.  Like the rest of you I was captivated by the Na'vi people and their language, and wanted to become fluent in Na'vi.  The task was a little too daunting for me, and grasping the terminology and rules of linguistics went totally over my head.  I realized sadly that I would never be fluent in Na'vi, but everything that I have learned about it I learned on this site.  All of the dictionaries, lessons, translations and guides provided by this site have been an invaluable resource for anyone with a love of Avatar and an interest in the Na'vi language.  I am completely envious of those of you who can speak Na'vi fluently, but even for the novice, this site has been an incredible source of knowledge and inspiration.  Thank you again Payoang, and to all who have contributed to the vast amount of knowledge on this site, for all of your hard work and dedication.

~Ayngahu

Although I haven't been active for a long time, I still love seeing how this community grows and matures :D
A big thankyou to DrBinder for creating my forum avatar :)

xixou

I'm still a big fan and waiting for avatar 2 !
Currently in front of my coffee cup/poster/shirt/key holder of avatar ^^
Just got the full extended 3D version of avatar, gone watch on my beamer ^^

Ftiafpi

Another ditto here, though I was at my parents house for a weekend and missed out on the start of this fine forum. I remember the first time I saw the movie and how it affected me like no other. I had heard almost nothing about the movie but once I got home I, like many others, looked up everything I could find out about the movie online. I am so proud to be a part of this amazing community.

P.S. Welcome to the forum ma Nawmtirea. :)

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Tse, ma Payoang, zene oe ngaru irayo sivi nìteng. Hufwa tìsop leUniltìrantokx oeyä ke sngamä'i vaykrr hawngkrr, txo fìtsenget ke ngop ngal, skxakep kawkrr ke nilvume oel lì'fyati leNa'vi. Fì'u lu tìpängkxotseng a'aw a ramun oel krr a tsenget a tsun oe nivume lì'fyati leNa'vi fwarmew oel. Pxaya tutehu atxantsan ultxa seiyi fìtseng ulte aynga yawne lu oeru ma soaia amuve :)

Well Payoang, I must also thank you. Although my Avatar journey didn't start till late, if you haven't created this place, I probably never would have learned Na'vi. This is the first forum I found when I was searching for a place where I could learn Na'vi. I have met many great people here and I love you all my 2nd family :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Syaron

I cried every time I saw Avatar (all 27 times in the theater) and still do even at home. It has changed my soul. And you, dear Payoang, have done much more than that! You opened the door to Pandora for me, to the Na'vi, to my Na'vi sisters and brothers here on this forum. So much more than a simple theatrical endeavor, Avatar is an epic milestone in human history. I dare say no other "movie" has affected so many and spun off a world we can all touch thanks so much because of you and your own epic endeavor!
Irayo my dear brother, irayo!

Syaron
Shara

Blue Elf

No need to thank us, Payoang, it is you who open door to Pandora for us and our big thanks go to YOU. I'm sure all (at least most) of us found new friends here, and this is valuable.
I'm not big film fan, so I completely missed Avatar launch. First time I hear about it more was in summer 2010, but I wasn't able see it fo some reason. So my first touch with the movie was on Christmas 2010. It was great and I'm happy I was able to see it and finally become one of members here.
This experience was and still is amazing. I hope it will last forever.
Let's keep this forum alive.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Seze Mune

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 18, 2011, 08:20:10 AM
Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 18, 2011, 04:48:20 AM

Markì

I feel like the third dot on the ellipsis. :D

Night Raider

Wow, can't believe it's been two years.

I've been coming around and reading the forums, hence not posting so much, but I remember being among the first people to register on the website right after the film's premiere.

So, I thank everyone who made this great community possible, and those who ARE this community. Keep on rocking it!

Oh yeah, almost forgot... can't wait for the sequels!

- NR
Is this right? I just write whatever in the signature box?