Language of Avatar under study

Started by Payoang, July 28, 2011, 07:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

Mllte :D

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Seze Mune

Quote from: linganthprof on October 08, 2011, 02:22:24 PM
Kaltxì, ma everyone, :)

Apologies for the necro-post, but I wanted to let you know that I have now completed the analysis of the first ten questions in the Na'vi Research Study. The report (compiled with Prrton's help) is now available for download. Analysis of questions 11-20 will be happening over the next few months as well.

You can access the report on my website: http://www.christineschreyer.ca/Research.html
The file is called "Report on Na'vi Research © Christine Schreyer (October 2011)" and it is below a description of the research itself.  I will be presenting some of these results at the American Anthropology Association's annual conference in Montreal, QC, Canada on Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 at 8:45pm.  I can post more details about where if anyone is interested and able to make it to the presentation.

I look forward to hearing your feedback on the results compiled so far and am happy to answer any questions as well.  :)

Irayo to all!

ta, Kìrìstin

Wou, Tewti!  This is such cool and welcome news!  Gives me the goosebumps (uh, who said that?!?)

linganthprof

Quote from: wm.annis on October 08, 2011, 02:37:48 PM
The data are interesting.  I look forward to some future paper analyzing the results. :)  I assume you're give the first airing of that at the conference.

Good point wm.annis; this is really more of a compilation of the data than an analysis although distilling some of the answers, particularly for "why do you study Na'vi?" required some analysis for categorization and quantification. I do plan to write a paper with further analysis at some point.  The conference presentation will be the first step to that.  :)

Sherilyn

Quote from: linganthprof on October 08, 2011, 02:22:24 PM
Kaltxì, ma everyone, :)

Apologies for the necro-post, but I wanted to let you know that I have now completed the analysis of the first ten questions in the Na'vi Research Study. The report (compiled with Prrton's help) is now available for download. Analysis of questions 11-20 will be happening over the next few months as well.

You can access the report on my website: http://www.christineschreyer.ca/Research.html
The file is called "Report on Na'vi Research © Christine Schreyer (October 2011)" and it is below a description of the research itself.  I will be presenting some of these results at the American Anthropology Association's annual conference in Montreal, QC, Canada on Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 at 8:45pm.  I can post more details about where if anyone is interested and able to make it to the presentation.

I look forward to hearing your feedback on the results compiled so far and am happy to answer any questions as well.  :)

Irayo to all!

ta, Kìrìstin

Irayo to you as well!  I am very glad you have made this accessible to us, free of charge.   :)

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

WOU!! Tsaw lameiu txantsan fìtxan! Furia tse'a sì'eyngit a'usì'awn ke tsun pivey! Nìrangal oe tsirvun tivok tsenget a sì'eyngit ngal muaryìntxu :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Yayo

Wow. I'm reading it now. Incredible!

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Human No More

Quite interesting. Mostly as I guessed, but one thing. Some people didn't like Avatar? WHAT D:
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Human No More on October 13, 2011, 02:28:51 PM
Quite interesting. Mostly as I guessed, but one thing. Some people didn't like Avatar? WHAT D:

My thoughts exactly.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Thank you so much for this, ma Christine. :) It was great to read about the results, and to participate as well! :D

Vawm tsamsiyu

they killed the [you] tag

Ftiafpi

Vawm tsamsiyu

Plumps

I had the same problem. Could be it was created with the latest version of iWorks ... a friend down-graded it for me and voilà I could open it – try this one

Human No More

It works in Foxit Reader (better than Adobe in every way).
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Human No More on October 20, 2011, 08:27:45 PM
Foxit Reader (better than Adobe in every way).
Agreed on that. Foxit's what I always use for PDFs. I won't touch the official reader unless I have to (and when I do need it, I have a VM that I keep specifically for bloated software).

My university even uses Foxit on the PCs in the labs...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Vawm tsamsiyu

Quote from: Plumps on October 15, 2011, 08:34:45 PM
I had the same problem. Could be it was created with the latest version of iWorks ... a friend down-graded it for me and voilà I could open it – try this one
it works ty ;D

Seze Mune

Quote from: Vawm tsamsiyu on October 21, 2011, 11:56:40 AM
Quote from: Plumps on October 15, 2011, 08:34:45 PM
it works ty ;D

Besides, Adobe has a privacy invasion flaw that will allow a clickjack site to turn on the webcam without the user being aware of it.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Seze Mune on October 21, 2011, 10:08:02 PM
Besides, Adobe has a privacy invasion flaw that will allow a clickjack site to turn on the webcam without the user being aware of it.
That bug is in Flash, not Reader, but nonetheless, it's another security hole in another Adobe product, and another good reason to avoid Adobe viewers/players where possible.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tsmuktengan

I thank Christine for this first data analysis. I can't wait the next further analysis results that I understood would come behind.  :)

(Yes, I am late).

linganthprof

Hello everyone,

My apologies for posting on an old thread, but I wasn 't sure where to post this and I wanted to share some news with you.  In March, I was awarded the University of British Columbia Okanagan's Public Education through Media Award.  This award "recognizes a faculty member from UBC's Okanagan campus who has demonstrated outstanding service to the University and the community by actively and creatively sharing research expertise via the news media".  My nomination focused on the media attention my Na'vi research study received and so I wanted to let the Na'vi community know about this award and UBC's support of my research.  You can read an media release about the award here (scroll down to see me): https://news.ok.ubc.ca/2012/03/09/philip-ainslie-named-ubcs-okanagan-campus-researcher-of-the-year/

A video was also made by UBCO.tv to accompany my receiving the award and if you would like to see that you can go here:
http://ubco.tv/frontend2.php?cm=movies/259ChristineSchreyerRW.flv

Finally, I am currently in the process of analyzing the last 10 questions of the survey and hope to have a second report available for viewing mid May.

Irayo everyone for your continued support of my research!

Christine