Learn Na'vi in the App Store

Started by Seze, October 14, 2010, 02:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Taronyu on January 10, 2011, 06:28:28 PM
I believe that the LN app has the IPA. Which is a pronunciation guide.

Can we get a search function?

And the phrases section?

Audio and pictures. Thoughts?

doesn't LN mobile have search? could have swore it did.

pics and audio have been thought of. seze has the link of that peer reviewed list I think steven made. as for pics that would be great but there are piles of words that would be very hard if not impossible to find pictures for.

tho I do think audio and pictures would be good.

Seze

The iOS app does indeed support search.  There is a search box at the very top of the word list.  If you tap on the very top part of the screen, it will snap you back to the top of the list. 

I would love to add pictures and sound bites to the app, however I have been really busy working on stuff for my real life job, and I just haven't had the time to put into the app.  Maybe someone like Taronyu, who I thought was getting an internship making iPhone Apps, could take over the development for a while...

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Taronyu

I will add it to my list of things to do.

My list is longer than my tail.

RangerJim

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 10, 2011, 06:35:12 PM
Quote from: Taronyu on January 10, 2011, 06:28:28 PM
I believe that the LN app has the IPA. Which is a pronunciation guide.

Can we get a search function?

And the phrases section?

Audio and pictures. Thoughts?

doesn't LN mobile have search? could have swore it did.

pics and audio have been thought of. seze has the link of that peer reviewed list I think steven made. as for pics that would be great but there are piles of words that would be very hard if not impossible to find pictures for.

tho I do think audio and pictures would be good.

My bad.

Yes, if you click on a word, LN flips to a page with the IPA pronunciation guide.

So far as pictures and audio are concerned, I suggest that they go here on the LearnNavi.org site, much as does the "Halq'emeylem" app, which links to their tribal home page (where their audio bites are). That way, the audio sound bites would be of benefit to everyone, not just those with an iPhone or Android (or whatever smartphone LN is ported to in the future).

In addition, having the audio bits on LearnNavi.org would not necessitate the continuing revision of the LN app, as would putting the audio  pronunciations in the apps theirselves, as well as here.

And of course, the pronunciations would have to be canonical - or at least close enough to that of the Omaticaya Clan to be understandable. Differences in pronunciation could be written off as different clan dialects.

After all, look at the individual regional dialects in the US (New York vs Georgia vs Texas for example) or Germany (Bavaria vs Lower Saxony or Pomerania). For that matter, look at the "English-speaking world"... What's the joke? England, America (including Canada), Australia and New Zealand - All separated by a common language!

As far as pictures to illustrate the words, as a beginner (who didn't even see the movie until Nov '10), I'm not sure how much that would help. We've all seen the movie several times, Kefya srak? And I dare say that many of us have at least one of the books about Pandora and Avatar, so I have to ask - would the benefits of having pictures in one or more of the existing English/German/what-have-you <> Na'vi dictionaries overcome the time/effort made to put them in?

Or are we talking about "eyecandy," eh? If so, then why not add a link to an art forum here. Ahh, I assume that there is a fan art section, yes? I've just been too busy with my own Na'vi related art....  ;D

I hope that these suggestions will prove of use.

Éywa ngáhu
Ta Tsìm
I am a warrior of the clan of Rangers,
and a Priest-shaman of the Mother.
----
Walk in Beauty and Honor – Strive for Balance.

EywaAtokirina

Quote from: Ftiafpi on October 14, 2010, 04:30:53 PM
Is it weird that I want to buy an iPhone entirely for this app?

If you have an Android phone you can download it from the App Store, I did only a few minutes ago, and it's free!  :D

Just use a barcode scanner on the pic above!

Tirea Aean

why I hate AT&T:
QuoteInstall Blocked

For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market.

and there is NO way to change that setting. where that option SHOULD be, there is not. *RAGE*

RangerJim

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 20, 2011, 03:07:49 PM
why I hate AT&T:
QuoteInstall Blocked

For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market.

and there is NO way to change that setting. where that option SHOULD be, there is not. *RAGE*

Don't blame AT&T, they're just the carriers. Blame Android.

Apple used to do that, but they opened the iPhone to anyone - they just refuse to repair any damage to the iPhone from "unauthorized" apps.
----

Lisa

Quote from: RangerJim on January 21, 2011, 05:47:33 AM

I'm not sure about that....it's been my experience that it is mostly the carriers that cripple certain functionalities, but not all do it to the same things or in the same way.

I have an Android phone, a Galaxy model on Verizon, and I was able to install the Learn Na'vi app on my phone quite easily.

But Verizon used to be notorious for disabling uploading of your own ringtones to their phones, since they wanted you to buy your ringtones from them exclusively.   I ran into that problem with an older phone I had, an LG flip model.  I had to use a back door via some open source software (bitpim) in order to get my own ringtones on the phone.  According to LG fora, uploading your own ringtones to that same LG model on another carrier worked fine.   So the phone was quite capable, but Verizon deliberately blocked that ability. 

I don't think any carrier actually cares about their customers.  It's all about $$$ and control.    :(
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

Tirea Aean

It's all over android forums and other blogs and sites that AT&T does the blocking of installing out-of-market apps.

I found a sideloader but the stupid thing is I am FORCED to be a member of androidcentral forums to be able to download because that's where the link is, and NO ONE at ALL other than them seems to have a download link...>.<

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tuteyä amuiä 'itan on January 23, 2011, 11:48:18 AM
i love my android phone  ;D ;D

I do too except AT&T is LAME for not allowing out-of-market apps to be installed.

RangerJim

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 21, 2011, 09:08:10 AM
It's all over android forums and other blogs and sites that AT&T does the blocking of installing out-of-market apps.

I found a sideloader but the stupid thing is I am FORCED to be a member of androidcentral forums to be able to download because that's where the link is, and NO ONE at ALL other than them seems to have a download link...>.<

::shrug::

Don't know about Android and AT&T. My experience is with the iPhone and AT&T and the Apple iTunes Store. My carrier is AT&T and I bought my iPhone from them, but I get almost all of my apps through iTunes.

But, I also found a third-party (e.g. non-Apple) app site and have a couple of apps from them. And AT&T didn't block me from downloading from that site (sorry, but I'd have to search through my bookmarks to find it again).

In other words, in my personal experience, it's not AT&T - or at least not with my iPhone. And, you know, since I did purchase it from AT&T, you'd think that they might try to block me from getting apps from anyplace except Apple, eh?

Android is Google, yes? Is it "unlocked"? I have a 3GS with iOS 4.0 and that release was unlocked by Apple (with the caveat that if the user bricked their iPhone with an "unapproved app," it was sorry 'bout that, Jack!).

I'm just at a loss as to why AT&T would block the Android and not the iPhone.  ???  Strange....
----

Maria TunVrrtep

Quote from: RangerJim on January 21, 2011, 05:47:33 AM
why I hate AT&T:
QuoteInstall Blocked

Apple used to do that, but they opened the iPhone to anyone - they just refuse to repair any damage to the iPhone from "unauthorized" apps.

Actually RangerJim, I have AT&T and called because I couldn't load the Android app on my phone.  They said it was them that block the "Unauthorized" apps.  It really pissed me off.
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

Tsmuktengan

I have been able to download the latest version of this application on my HTC Desire. By the way, Android has a Market. App Store is for Apple only. Be sure to avoid any confusion.  ;)

There is one issue : when I want to read the phonetics of a word, he places a square for undisplayable letters, probably some having accents on them. I seems to be unable to print some special characters. My Android has French localization, but this may not be the issue though.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

why I hate AT&T:
QuoteInstall Blocked

There's two reasons to choose Android.

#1: It's cheaper

#2: It's the most moddable OS on the market. Root it and go!

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on January 28, 2011, 07:08:59 PM
why I hate AT&T:
QuoteInstall Blocked

There's two reasons to choose Android.

#1: It's cheaper

#2: It's the most moddable OS on the market. Root it and go!

thats y android WINS  ;D ;D ;D lol

Tsmuktengan

Hmm, you should be able to allow the installation from unknown sources.

Menu > Settings > Applications > Tick the "unknown sources" option allowing you to install .apk packages from elsewhere.

This is not activated by default, yet can be ticked on, on all french Android phones and tablets without the need of rooting at all. Don't know if this is the same in the US or other states.

I have no idea how AT&T could block the installation of a package... perhaps they did change the Android code to prevent this. With such an hypothesis, perhaps you would like to reflash your phone with another version of Android available online (if you have an HTC, you can reflash your phone with the original HTC ROM very easily and perhaps workaround the locks imposed by AT&T).

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on January 29, 2011, 06:11:39 AM
Hmm, you should be able to allow the installation from unknown sources.

Menu > Settings > Applications > Tick the "unknown sources" option allowing you to install .apk packages from elsewhere.

This is not activated, yet possible, on all french Android phones and tablets without the need of rooting at all. Don't know if this is the same in the US or other states.

I have no idea how AT&T could block the installation of a package... perhaps they did change the Android code to prevent this. With such an hypothesis, perhaps you would like to reflash your phone with another version of Android available online (if you have an HTC, you can reflash your phone with the original HTC ROM very easily and perhaps workaround the locks imposed by AT&T).

yea all android phones have that but there problem is with the iphone i believe not android

Tsmuktengan

Well, according to TunVrrtep's post and the few one just before his, looks like an Android issue. iPhone apps aren't blocked by AT&T apparently (with a jailbreaked iPhone).

This is why I suggested all this in my previous post.

Tuteyä amuiä 'itan