Thanks for sharing :)
I didn't know there was a reporter at AvatarMeet :D

Tìtstewan

WOW!
Txantsana fmawn! :D :D

Quote from: Plumps on October 17, 2013, 02:55:52 PM
Thanks for sharing :)
I didn't know there was a reporter at AvatarMeet :D

:o It was mentioned in some threads in the Avatarmeet board!

Edit: Fìtsenge
http://forum.learnnavi.org/avatarmeet-2013/ride-for-two-ny-gt-dc-for-avatar-meet-2013/msg589520/#msg589520

It is Clair Cameron!

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txantsan! It was a wonderful pleasure having Clair at AvatarMeet, and I'm glad to see an interesting article became of it!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

N'wah

The part of the article that cited the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis was very interesting to me, especially since we talked about it in one of my elective classes a while ago!  I hope to be able to see the context that surrounds the language much more as I learn it again!  Things like lack of grammatical gender didn't even really register to me, but since it's been put into perspective, it makes much more sense with the Na'vi culture that was seen in the film.  Hmm, these seemingly small things (grammatical gender, specificity of inclusion) really have added more depth into this language for me  :D!

archaic

Awesome article!

QuoteMere days after Avatar premiered in the U.K., Paul Frommer received the first email ever written in Na'vi. Initially reluctant to get too involved due to copyright issues, Frommer was too intrigued to not offer some help.
I remember speculating that Karyu Pawl might be a lurker on this site. Never did find out.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Tìtstewan

Well, why not? If I see this, I think, it's absolutely possible. :) ;)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 17, 2013, 05:32:58 PM
Well, why not? If I see this, I think, it's absolutely possible.
(I think archaic may have been referring to the nautil.us website...?)

Wou !

A fantastic article!  Thanks for sharing!!!

Ftiafpi

A very good article on the Na'vi language. Dr. Frommer got a link to it from Claire I guess because he actually emailed me asking if we had seen it. :o He seemed really enthusiastic about it so I would say this article is a wonderful success on many fronts. :) I know Claire really enjoyed meeting everyone who was at AvatarMeet and I hope we can find more people like her who are also interested in our language community.

Sìkat

archaic

Quote from: Tìtstewan on October 17, 2013, 05:32:58 PM
Well, why not? If I see this, I think, it's absolutely possible.
Irayo, not seen that before, wasn't around so much 2012.

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on October 17, 2013, 06:01:16 PM
(I think archaic may have been referring to the nautil.us website...?
No, learnnavi.org, I was here January 2010, I lurked for two weeks and then I joined. Back then, before we received 'A response from Paul Frommer!' it looked unlikely, after that it was more possible.

Think I wound up deleting that post later on. I was keen to maintain my post count at 666, kept it there for a couple of weeks.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Ma Archaic, so you are the one that brought much bad luck to the forum by maintaining your post count at 666 ;)

I know the day my post count reached 666, the forum hiccuped in an uncharacteristic way. It was kawng nìwotx nang!!.

Paul Frommer is indeed a member of the board, and has posted here exactly once. You can look at his profile here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/profile/?u=11318 How much he lurks here, I do not know. But I bet he enjoyed the article.

Its interesting that a member of the Klingon community was contacted for input for this article, but was never mentioned in the article. So this has spurred a discussion on the Klingon forum (and in fact, I heard about this article there first). Although the Klingon community works quite differently from Na'vi or the GoT languages, there are some folks who have reverse-engineered Klingon...before they found out there is an official, published dictionary and reference grammar.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Clarke

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on October 18, 2013, 05:11:32 PM
Paul Frommer is indeed a member of the board, and has posted here exactly once. You can look at his profile here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/profile/?u=11318 How much he lurks here, I do not know. But I bet he enjoyed the article.
His profile says he was here on the 3rd.

(Also, perhaps his Na'vi proficincy should be listed as "Infalliable?" :P )

QuoteIts interesting that a member of the Klingon community was contacted for input for this article, but was never mentioned in the article. So this has spurred a discussion on the Klingon forum (and in fact, I heard about this article there first). Although the Klingon community works quite differently from Na'vi or the GoT languages, there are some folks who have reverse-engineered Klingon...before they found out there is an official, published dictionary and reference grammar.
Obviously, they've had good practice for the case of real aliens.  :P