Na'vi Language Writing Contest

Started by wm.annis, December 04, 2010, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Markì on December 06, 2010, 05:19:50 PM
We can have a mod roast after the dust settles!   8)
Mods, the other white meat. mmmmm tasty
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Toruk Makto

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Taronyu

Quote from: wm.annis on December 06, 2010, 04:20:03 PM
Quote from: Taronyu on December 04, 2010, 06:53:52 PMHere's hoping I find the time to write something!

Erm.  Mods entering makes me a bit queasy.

Fair enough.

I doubt I'd win though. :P

Ftiafpi

Works for me, I'd feel a little bad if it was just mods winning things. I vote mods get to be "honorable mentions" or something.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Or else, constrain mods to the advanced classes.

It would be very interesting to see what the mods would come up with. There hasn't, as far as I know up to this point, been a lot of long-form stuff written so far. This contest, if nothing more, is a great exercise in REALLY using the language for its intended purpose.

Don't worry everyone about finishing last because I probably will. (Neytiri will probably get to use the loser for target practice  :o) But that isn't stopping me from trying. I have what I want to say written out, and I plan to translate it this evening.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kì'eyawn

Hmm...  Might i suggest that, once the contest is over, there be the option to see all the submissions—only if the authors want to share, of course.  Or, if you prefer, maybe just list the names of everybody who contributed.  I think all our creative smuktu should be lauded  :D

...(fperìl)...

And i'm totally not just saying that because i wanted to write something, honest!  XD
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Seze

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on December 07, 2010, 04:41:27 PM
Hmm...  Might i suggest that, once the contest is over, there be the option to see all the submissions—only if the authors want to share, of course.  Or, if you prefer, maybe just list the names of everybody who contributed.  I think all our creative smuktu should be lauded  :D

...(fperìl)...

And i'm totally not just saying that because i wanted to write something, honest!  XD

Maybe we could put together a Learn Na'vi Book of all the entries, might be a nice merchandise item.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

wm.annis

Some of these are good ideas, but I would like to mention that this contest was thunk up and set in motion rather quickly.  And we're heading into what is for most people the very busiest time of the year. :)  For this contest, I'd like to keep things nice and simple.

When we have a future contest, however — and why not? — we can spend a little more time to plan carefully.

Taronyu

Quote from: Ftiafpi on December 07, 2010, 02:42:57 PM
Works for me, I'd feel a little bad if it was just mods winning things. I vote mods get to be "honorable mentions" or something.

Could always have a mod-only category and have a modoff. :D

RangerJim

I am a poet and have had some of my poems published - both online and in print. To see an example, checkout the poem, "Alone," which I wrote as an addendum to my post in the Introduction forum. The post is titled, "Yá'át'ééh..." and is marked with a grinning pumpkin.  ;D

But what I am is also a Ketuwong and rank newbie who is just beginning to learn simple phrases. Aieee!

And 10 turnings of the World are too few ... too few ...  :'(

So. Would anyone consider collaborating with me?

Und, wie ich ziemlich gut Deutsch sprechen, wäre es sehr interessant, einige Lieder zu militärischen Na'vi übersetzen, eh? Zum Beispiel, "Argonnewald", nicht wahr? 

Ach, Kennt jemand das Lied, "Swartzbraun ist die Haselnuß. Swartzbraun bin auch ich  (ja, bin auch ich). Swartzbraun muß meine Mädel sein, gerade so wie ich!" ?

Und das kann leicht in Na'vi übersetzt werden, nicht wahr?  ;D

Gruß Göttin u.
Eywa ngahu,
Tsìm
I am a warrior of the clan of Rangers,
and a Priest-shaman of the Mother.
----
Walk in Beauty and Honor – Strive for Balance.

wm.annis

Quote from: Taronyu on December 07, 2010, 06:08:27 PMCould always have a mod-only category and have a modoff. :D

An unwelcome phrase enters my mind, "mod Na'vi poetry slam."  The idea is both amusing and horrifying.  But mostly horrifying.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: wm.annis on December 07, 2010, 06:25:55 PM
Quote from: Taronyu on December 07, 2010, 06:08:27 PMCould always have a mod-only category and have a modoff. :D

An unwelcome phrase enters my mind, "mod Na'vi poetry slam."  The idea is both amusing and horrifying.  But mostly horrifying.

This could quickly turn into a 'modstrosity'..... :o

Yawey ngahu!

Kì'eyawn

We could have a Haiku Battle like this one.  Y'know, from that "other" Avatar?
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Ataeghane

Are we allowed to create our new words? I mean, of course, words based on existing ones. Adding e.g. tì- or nì- prefixes.

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Carborundum

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 09, 2010, 02:22:59 PM
Are we allowed to create our new words? I mean, of course, words based on existing ones. Adding e.g. tì- or nì- prefixes.
That would fail criteria 1 and 3, so I think not.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Ataeghane

And words like plltxetsenge? Words that are in use, but not official?

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 09, 2010, 03:12:10 PM
And words like plltxetsenge? Words that are in use, but not official?

Given the rules, its use would probably be discouraged, except, perhaps in poetry.
Where (in the world, website, wiki, etc.)is this word used?

On a different but related subject: Since the topic needs to involve Learnnavi.org somehow, what is the best way to incorporate 'learnnavi.org' this non-Na`vi but syntactically unmodifiable term into writing? My first guess is to include it just as it is, perhaps with << >> signs around it.

Yawey ngahu!

Ataeghane

QuoteGiven the rules, its use would probably be discouraged, except, perhaps in poetry.
Where (in the world, website, wiki, etc.)is this word used?
I thought I met this term somwhere here, on LearnNa'vi.

QuoteOn a different but related subject: Since the topic needs to involve Learnnavi.org somehow, what is the best way to incorporate 'learnnavi.org' this non-Na`vi but syntactically unmodifiable term into writing? My first guess is to include it just as it is, perhaps with << >> signs around it.
Well, good idea (you could use also italics) but does LearnNa'vi be necessarily involved?

Quote2. Faithfulness to the topic (the language or language community).

So, as I get it it must be somehow connected to the language, but don't have to be connected to LearnNa'vi.

Carborundum

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 09, 2010, 03:28:02 PM
On a different but related subject: Since the topic needs to involve Learnnavi.org somehow, what is the best way to incorporate 'learnnavi.org' this non-Na`vi but syntactically unmodifiable term into writing? My first guess is to include it just as it is, perhaps with << >> signs around it.
Quote from: wm.annis on December 04, 2010, 06:39:15 PM
Your work should be about the Na'vi language or somehow relating to LN.org and the general Na'vi language community.
Emphasis mine. For example, I intend to write fanfiction. You can't say that doesn't fit the bill. ;)
Of course, if you want to write about this website in particular, you might have a problem.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Ataeghane

But writing about the language itself is OK, isn't it?