Na'vi Vocabulary Committee

Started by wm.annis, November 26, 2010, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le'eylan

Quote from: Tukruyä Tsamsiyu on December 10, 2010, 07:29:30 PM
Not exactly on the current discussion, but being in the Northeastern US, I noticed there is no word for ice. The nearest to ice I could create was "cold, hard water" which is wewtxa'pay. Any thoughts??

I remember that Prrton and Xelloss said something similar on the Workshop to describe ice.
I just can't recall what exactly though.  :)
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Puvomun

Quote from: Le'eylan on December 11, 2010, 05:25:53 PM
I remember that Prrton and Xelloss said something similar on the Workshop to describe ice.
At a possible next workshop we need cameras rolling. To capture it all. Well, most of it. ;)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Seze

Quote from: Puvomun on December 12, 2010, 01:58:58 AM
At a possible next workshop we need cameras rolling. To capture it all. Well, most of it. ;)

We do have audio recordings from the last workshop.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Seze on December 12, 2010, 02:11:45 AM
Quote from: Puvomun on December 12, 2010, 01:58:58 AM

And we got a video of it but I'm not sure what happened to that or if it's feasible to distribute it.

Puvomun

Quote from: Ftiafpi on December 12, 2010, 03:17:28 AM
Quote from: Seze on December 12, 2010, 02:11:45 AM
And we got a video of it but I'm not sure what happened to that or if it's feasible to distribute it.
Wow, plenty of material then. Would a challenge to go through all of it to find out what one needs though...

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Le'eylan

This peculiar discussion, about the ice, actually happened the first night, before the cameras :P
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Sireayä mokri

I think tribes that live in the areas with snow and ice would have a root word for it.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Carborundum

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on December 12, 2010, 08:36:25 AM
I think tribes that live in the areas with snow and ice would have a root word for it.
I agree.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Ikran Ahiyìk

It's time to create more roots. Don't use the le-, tì-, nì-, sä- etc. too often, they makes the words become too long, have too many syllables and difficult to read fastly.
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Kamean

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on December 12, 2010, 09:05:41 AM
It's time to create more roots. Don't use the le-, tì-, nì-, sä- etc. too often, they makes the words become too long, have too many syllables and difficult to read fastly.
Totally agree.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Plumps

For my part, I think it's not very useful either to discuss all of your ideas right now and here ... remember, it's supposed to be an anonymous submission... 8)

Puvomun

Quote from: Plumps on December 12, 2010, 10:47:49 AM
For my part, I think it's not very useful either to discuss all of your ideas right now and here ... remember, it's supposed to be an anonymous submission... 8)
But we're not submitting, ma Plumps, we're ideaing. To get a feel for the actual submitting. ;-)

Hayalovay, ma tsmukan!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Prrton

I agree, but the Thai word for "ice" is nam-khaeng (น้ำแข็ง) which is literally "hard water". This moniker works in context when there is no common substance hanging about typically that is actually 'ice'. Of course, ice doesn't occur naturally in Thailand in too many locations (if any). I used it as an ad hoc solution in my lesson with Tsm. Xelloss about how to use his new iced-tea maker. If the Na'vi are actually exposed to ice on any kind of regular basis (in the wild) then they'd probably have a word for it.

BTW, for 'tea' I use naer lerìk (leaf drink).

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Prrton on December 12, 2010, 06:02:41 PM

I had a snappy comeback for "leaf smoke",* but in keeping with the wholesome nature of these forums, I will decline to say anything further.  :D

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Markì on December 12, 2010, 11:03:34 PM

I had a snappy comeback for "leaf smoke",* but in keeping with the wholesome nature of these forums, I will decline to say anything further.  :D

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Puvomun

I agree, but the Thai word for "ice" is nam-khaeng (น้ำแข็ง) which is literally "hard water". This moniker works in context when there is no common substance hanging about typically that is actually 'ice'. Of course, ice doesn't occur naturally in Thailand in too many locations (if any). I used it as an ad hoc solution in my lesson with Tsm. Xelloss about how to use his new iced-tea maker. If the Na'vi are actually exposed to ice on any kind of regular basis (in the wild) then they'd probably have a word for it.
I am sure of that. People who never see snow, or don't even know it, won't have many words for that, while the Inuit seem to have a cartload of different words for it, for each kind of snow there is a fitting one. Even here in the Netherlands we have 3 or 4 words for it already.

Ohhh I like that! (Tea as well as naer lerìk)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Toruk Makto

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 13, 2010, 02:06:42 AM
Quote from: Markì on December 12, 2010, 11:03:34 PM

Errr... Yyyyeah, that's what I meant!  Not uniltaron kxener lerìk...  ;)

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Prrton

Quote from: Puvomun on December 13, 2010, 11:54:12 AM
Ohhh I like that! (Tea as well as naer lerìk)

The main problem with something like this is that IF the Na'vi already have something that is called «naer lerìk» and it's radically different than our 'Rrtan «tea/cha/chai» (e.g. thick and pink and tastes like cough syrup), then Norm (et al) probably would not use the same term to talk about whatever 'tea' he remembers from home.

Welcome to a theoretical construct rife with ambiguities and holes in the pragmatic linguistic plot at every turn.  ;)

Puvomun

Quote from: Prrton on December 13, 2010, 12:05:54 PM
The main problem with something like this is that IF the Na'vi already have something that is called «naer lerìk» and it's radically different than our 'Rrtan «tea/cha/chai» (e.g. thick and pink and tastes like cough syrup), then Norm (et al) probably would not use the same term to talk about whatever 'tea' he remembers from home.

Welcome to a theoretical construct rife with ambiguities and holes in the pragmatic linguistic plot at every turn.  ;)
ROFHRH!!!

I can fix the problem though. In a near installment of my new Fan fiction, Sky People, I can introduce naer lerìk as something like tea that we know. Stuff like that is easy when you write. *evil grin* You create your own precedence. James Cameron did that too!

Ngopyu ayvurä.