Na'vi Vocabulary Committee

Started by wm.annis, November 26, 2010, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Quote from: archaic on November 29, 2010, 04:34:13 AM
OK, here's my two cents.

The Na'vi are a pre-stone age people, who have had extensive contact with a technologically advanced and very unpredictable alien race, with whom the can communicate.

There will be two distinct types of words.
One is indigenous words, mainly for stuff that they would know before the tawtute came.
The other, words that would not have been known before their arrival, and are derived from Na'vicization of tawtute words.

Of course. this was(is being) taken into consideration. I dont think any person can disagree with this.

Eyawng te Klltepayu

OK, here's my two cents.

The Na'vi are a pre-stone age people, who have had extensive contact with a technologically advanced and very unpredictable alien race, with whom the can communicate.

Surely they are stone-age? The activist guide does state that they are neolithic.
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eyawng te Klltepayu on November 29, 2010, 05:57:14 AM
OK, here's my two cents.

Surely they are stone-age? The activist guide does state that they are neolithic.

Tho that wasnt really his point. he was mostly tryn to say that there will be words that would have existed Before humans came, and then after they came. worts like climb, swim, thunder vs, toktor kunsìp puk. bringing up one of the oldest divisions (in my experience) of this forum: realists and idealists:

native words for exoticness and Pandoran flavor(idealist) [new root option]

loan words for usefulness on today's Earth(realist) [loan option]

surely there will be both. and loan words will be reserved for ONLY very important, CLEARLY non-native mostly nouns. who wants to have a ton of loanwords?? thatd be English all over again, with a strange accent... I believe there is actually one more option:

words derived FROM native words to attempt to describe non-native things. a hybrid of loan and native. a happy medium. tho tedius and can become long-winded. [derive option]

Ikran Ahiyìk

I think we can work on all the unknown words in English dialogues made by Na'vi characters first.
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on November 29, 2010, 06:17:56 AM
I think we can work on all the unknown words in English dialogues made by Na'vi characters first.

/mllte...

tho FIRST, idk..

Rain

Following this project as of NOW
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Eana Tanhì

this is an awesome project... i will definatly be part of it :)

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

'eylan na'viyä

Txewti!

i have a question about how this will work:
given the submission is anonymous will there be a discussion about the submitted words? in the public? between the submitter and the Committee? Or only between the submitter and the person who recieved the word?

Nyx

Amazing news. I'd love to be a part of this. Keep us updated ^^

Quote from: überdoodlet on November 27, 2010, 08:11:06 AM
This idea is really cool. The fact that "we" can make a difference in something as big as AVATAR is amazing. Just think... What if a word you made shows up in a film. That would be awesome!
Squee! :D

wm.annis

Quote from: 'eylan na'viyä on November 29, 2010, 04:31:57 PMgiven the submission is anonymous will there be a discussion about the submitted words? in the public? between the submitter and the Committee? Or only between the submitter and the person who recieved the word?

There will be public discussion among the committee members.  That's one reason why we will have a web form for people to make submissions from — to make sure we get as much information as possible from people so that the committee really understands what's being requested.  If the submission is too confusing, the secretary (on member of the committee) will know who submitters are, and will be able to mail people for confirmation.  There's not really a good way to allow back-and-forth interaction with the committee that is as flexible as a forum but still keeps the submitter anonymous.

archaic

Quote from: Nyx on November 29, 2010, 05:12:05 PM
Amazing news. I'd love to be a part of this. Keep us updated ^^

Quote from: überdoodlet on November 27, 2010, 08:11:06 AM
This idea is really cool. The fact that "we" can make a difference in something as big as AVATAR is amazing. Just think... What if a word you made shows up in a film. That would be awesome!
Squee! :D
Skxwi! :D
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Ftiafpi

'Oma Tirea

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tsamsiyu92

Ngrrpxo is a nice word for thunder, it sounds ...thunder-ish.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on December 04, 2010, 05:13:38 PM
Ngrrpxo is a nice word for thunder, it sounds ...thunder-ish.
I think when this project gets going there will be a race to see who can officially suggest it first.....  ::)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Puvomun

My pet word would be pamreltslam or so, for reading.
Understand the writing.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Kätsyín te Zotxekay Tsyal’itan

Wow, i haven't been here in a while, but now i'll have to get my bum in gear to do this.
old gallery link?id=1831[/img]

LearnNavi Forums:
"It's not an addiction...I just need it everyday."

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Puvomun on December 05, 2010, 03:07:27 AM
Understand the writing.

Or maybe pamrenìn...

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Sxkxawng alu 'Oma Tirea on December 06, 2010, 02:35:15 AM
Quote from: Puvomun on December 05, 2010, 03:07:27 AM
Understand the writing.

Or maybe pamrenìn...

Or maybe new root... ;D

Ekirä