Na'vi Vocabulary Committee

Started by wm.annis, November 26, 2010, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyamsiyu

What I really think is that we need to wait until Cameron posts more information about the system itself before making any decisions on words for times of day...

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Yes! Sam Worthington says Jim is writing a sort of 'Avatar Bible'   :)
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Rain

This has nothing to do with Ployphemus, but I needed to get my two cents in and today was the only day to do it.

I was planning on writing a letter to Karyu Pawl about a word for "freedom" and I wrote a rather long explanation about how I constructed the word. Then school got in the way and I never sent it. Now, the vocabulary committee has come up and I wondered if anyone was interested in my word. for "freedom". I'm not dead-set on the word I have though so if somebody else comes up with/has come up with a word for "freedom" I'd be glad to hear about it. But if anyone wants to read what I have I'd be glad to share. ;D
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Ataeghane

AFAIK every suggestion is important and, sa far as I'm concerned, I'm interested in it.

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Rain on December 20, 2010, 07:27:28 PM
This has nothing to do with Ployphemus, but I needed to get my two cents in and today was the only day to do it.

I was planning on writing a letter to Karyu Pawl about a word for "freedom" and I wrote a rather long explanation about how I constructed the word. Then school got in the way and I never sent it. Now, the vocabulary committee has come up and I wondered if anyone was interested in my word. for "freedom". I'm not dead-set on the word I have though so if somebody else comes up with/has come up with a word for "freedom" I'd be glad to hear about it. But if anyone wants to read what I have I'd be glad to share. ;D

Although there has been discussion here on a wide variety of possible words (among other things  :P ), and your word can certainly be another one, keep in mind that the official word submission process has not yet been 'activated'.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Rain on December 20, 2010, 07:27:28 PM

The vocabulary committee isn't quite up-and-running just yet; so if you don't mind waiting a while, it will be starting eventually.  THat said, there's no reason you can't send your suggestion to Karyu Pawl—just be aware he's not always prompt in answering e-mails  ;)
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Puvomun

I suddenly needed a word for "healer" and I came upon this in the dictionary:
Quotefpomtokx: [fpom."tok'] PF n. health (physical) (c.w. from fpom well-being and tokx body)

A healer could be "fpomsiyu", or "fpomtu", I'd say. Hmmm...
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sireayä mokri

I'd rather try to create something with zeyko.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Puvomun

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on December 23, 2010, 10:59:13 AM
Srane. Next time I will first go through the entire dictionary. I should have seen that myself. Irayo!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

How does "zeykoyu" sound?

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on December 23, 2010, 01:28:12 PM

-Txonä Rolyu

I have seen that one used before.

(Not by paul tho...)

Puvomun

-Txonä Rolyu
It sounds very good. I decided to go for that, yes. It makes so much sense. :)
Irayo, ma frapo!

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sireayä mokri

Since -yu is productive it can be legal.

Tirea Aean

eh. it would generally be understood i guess.

Sireayä mokri

I think we anyway need Karyu Pawl to approve it.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Puvomun on December 23, 2010, 01:32:15 PM

-Txonä Rolyu
It sounds very good. I decided to go for that, yes. It makes so much sense. :)
Irayo, ma frapo!

Personally, i would use "zosluyu".  But yeah, "zeykoyu" seems understandable, until we get word from Frommer.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Ataeghane

As it was said before -yu is productive, so why are there any doubts?

BTW, I think the meaning of zeykoyu and zosluyu are different, but both are rather correct.

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 23, 2010, 03:38:18 PM
As it was said before -yu is productive, so why are there any doubts?

BTW, I think the meaning of zeykoyu and zosluyu are different, but both are rather correct.

well yeah. the fact that you can put -yu on the verb is fine. but will the ACTUAL meaning of that new word be exactly what you would think? is it predictable? a question to ask when one uses a deriving affix that is not rated 100 percent productive.

--noted that -yu is rated 100% productive on all verbs.
--noted that -tu is rated 75% productive on all verbs.

wm.annis

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2010, 06:32:16 PM--noted that -yu is rated 100% productive on all verbs.

Where are you getting this info?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: wm.annis on December 23, 2010, 06:34:39 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2010, 06:32:16 PM--noted that -yu is rated 100% productive on all verbs.

Where are you getting this info?

The dictionary.