Na'vi Vocabulary Committee

Started by wm.annis, November 26, 2010, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taronyu

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2010, 06:51:14 PM
Quote from: wm.annis on December 23, 2010, 06:34:39 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 23, 2010, 06:32:16 PM--noted that -yu is rated 100% productive on all verbs.
--noted that -tu is rated 75% productive on all verbs.

Where are you getting this info?

The dictionary.

In that case, let's wait a while until we figure this out, and then come back to this discussion. I think there was manly a problem with -yu because it implies an agent for a subject, but I'm not entirely clear on it anymore (my Na'vi is rusting.)

Ataeghane

Are there any verbs using -tu except for spe'etu that is exception? It's used only for non-verbial stem AFAIK.

But -yu is completely productive. So both: zeykoyu and zosluyu seem to be correct.

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 24, 2010, 06:18:05 AM
Are there any verbs using -tu except for spe'etu that is exception? It's used only for non-verbial stem AFAIK.

But -yu is completely productive. So both: zeykoyu and zosluyu seem to be correct.

yeah I do believe this is correct. and I have yet to see besides spe'etu, which is not a capturer but the captured, to see a verb with -tu.

people used to use this example to almost justify that -tu is for when the person is the object of the verb and -yu the subject such as taronyu being hunter and tarontu being the hunted, which I believe Paul said was incorrect some time ago. it just happens that spe'etu is somewhat counter-intuitive.

anyways yeah. -yu on every verb. its good.

Ataeghane

Hence, it's interesting. zeykoyu is healer and zosluyu is the one that gets well, isn't it?

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 24, 2010, 08:30:20 AM
zeykoyu is healer and zosluyu is the one that gets well, isn't it?

Yeah :) I think so..
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Sireayä mokri

Honestly, zosluyu doesn't make much sense to me :)
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Ataeghane

Oe lamu spxin, slä set zosluyu lu.

Why not?

Sireayä mokri

Why not Oe lamu spxin, slä set zosleru? It's shorter ;)

Puvomun

Quote from: Kemaweyan on December 24, 2010, 08:36:20 AM
Quote from: Ataeghane on December 24, 2010, 08:30:20 AM
zeykoyu is healer and zosluyu is the one that gets well, isn't it?

Yeah :) I think so..
Zosluyu would, for me, be the one who's on the mend, yes. Zeykoyu definitely is healer for me.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ataeghane

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on December 24, 2010, 08:42:13 AM
Well, in that case. Shorter is always better.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Ataeghane on December 24, 2010, 08:55:33 AM
Quote from: Sireayä mokri on December 24, 2010, 08:42:13 AM
Well, in that case. Shorter is always better.

not only that, but tì'efumì oeyä it makes more sense.

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Tirea Aean on December 24, 2010, 10:16:01 AM
not only that, but tì'efumì oeyä it makes more sense.

That's why, as I've said, I can't find a case where we would need exactly this form.

Rain

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on December 21, 2010, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: Rain on December 20, 2010, 07:27:28 PM
This has nothing to do with Ployphemus, but I needed to get my two cents in and today was the only day to do it.

I was planning on writing a letter to Karyu Pawl about a word for "freedom" and I wrote a rather long explanation about how I constructed the word. Then school got in the way and I never sent it. Now, the vocabulary committee has come up and I wondered if anyone was interested in my word. for "freedom". I'm not dead-set on the word I have though so if somebody else comes up with/has come up with a word for "freedom" I'd be glad to hear about it. But if anyone wants to read what I have I'd be glad to share. ;D

Although there has been discussion here on a wide variety of possible words (among other things  :P ), and your word can certainly be another one, keep in mind that the official word submission process has not yet been 'activated'.

Duly noted! Thankies!
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Ikran Ahiyìk

What's the progress now? I have tons of words to suggest... ::)
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

wm.annis

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on January 11, 2011, 04:00:56 AM
What's the progress now? I have tons of words to suggest... ::)

We're very close to opening this up.

The first set we send to Paul will contain A-category words from the old LEP project.  We're still working out some details on how best to manage anonymous suggestions from the rest of the community, but that should certainly be figured out in a week or so, too.

Ikran Ahiyìk

A week... that's near, thanks for your hard work :)

LEP - they suggest the meaning only, there's not any Na'vi word at all..

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Ah, so that's why things are so quiet lately. Lots of activity behind the scenes! I'm looking forward to seeing these new words!
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

wm.annis

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on January 11, 2011, 07:31:50 AMLEP - they suggest the meaning only, there's not any Na'vi word at all..

That's easily remedied.  :)  I've been inventing languages of my own for *cough* a bit more than two decades now.  I promise you, coming up with word shapes isn't the hard part — nailing down the meaning and usage are.

Ikran Ahiyìk

That shapes, it will be form by the committee or the one who suggest the word, or it is a choice..?

I see the discussions of usage are very complicated, but forming the shapes is interesting. :D

wm.annis

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on January 11, 2011, 08:09:43 AM
That shapes, it will be form by the committee or the one who suggest the word, or it is a choice..?

A choice.  People can suggest the Na'vi word for things if they want, but aren't required to.