Na'vi Vocabulary Committee

Started by wm.annis, November 26, 2010, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

The anticipation is killing me! I took nearly 2 weeks to experiment and refine a word I believe to be perfect. (I didn't spend hours a day on it but a fair amount of time each day, I'm not that insane... yet..)  :D
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

wm.annis

Quote from: Ataeghane on January 13, 2011, 12:19:52 PMIs the list of syllables already avaiable?

I happen to have a list handy...

(See attached.)

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Tirea Aean

Prrton

Cluster and eject safely out there, now, ya' hear?

Amaya

Quote from: wm.annis on January 13, 2011, 06:05:07 PM
Quote from: Ataeghane on January 13, 2011, 12:19:52 PMIs the list of syllables already avaiable?

(See attached.)

Irayo, Thank you, Merci, Arigatou gozaimasu, Go raibh maith agat, Dua Netjer en ek, Danke, and any other way I can think of to say the words! 

I have needed something like this for ages, although not for the noble reason you present it to us...  Being a fanfic author I find myself in constant need of names that obey the rules of Na'vi word construction (even if it's highly probable that most of the names I end up making won't be true na'vi words at least they'll obey the rules!)

Prrton

Quote from: Amaya on January 13, 2011, 08:05:18 PM
Quote from: wm.annis on January 13, 2011, 06:05:07 PM

(See attached.)

Irayo, Thank you, Merci, Arigatou gozaimasu, Go raibh maith agat, Dua Netjer en ek, Danke, and any other way I can think of to say the words!  

I have needed something like this for ages, although not for the noble reason you present it to us...  Being a fanfic author I find myself in constant need of names that obey the rules of Na'vi word construction (even if it's highly probable that most of the names I end up making won't be true na'vi words at least they'll obey the rules!)

Might I suggest beginning with these LEGAL NAMES that were created by K. Pawl as a good place to start?

;D

Also keep in mind that MOST Na'vi given names (that we know) are two syllables. Eytukan is an exception. Neytiri is also an exception.

Amaya

XD oh the legal names are useful but for the purposes of my fanfic I have far more names than that will cover, so...

Prrton

Quote from: Amaya on January 13, 2011, 08:29:24 PM
XD oh the legal names are useful but for the purposes of my fanfic I have far more names than that will cover, so...

Sounds pretty epic.  ;)

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Txantsan nìwotx, ma Wm Annis. Thank you for posting this. Just paging through this amazing lists generated lots of ideas!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Ikran Ahiyìk

Create a number (let say 1,000) of names and surnames (tribe names) for people to pick and use..? ;D

I can do this ;D

Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Amaya

Quote from: Prrton on January 13, 2011, 08:34:49 PM
Quote from: Amaya on January 13, 2011, 08:29:24 PM

Sounds pretty epic.  ;)

;)

I find that a story becomes more immersive if you have plenty of tertiary and quartinary characters, people who we might see only once or twice, but have names and thus the ability to become a part of the fabric of the story in a more real way than if you only discuss and name the main and secondary characters.

It means I have long lists of names and who they are and how they're connected to other characters, but I find it worth the effort to create a fully immersive story.

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Amaya on January 14, 2011, 06:51:29 AM
I find that a story becomes more immersive if you have plenty of tertiary and quartinary characters, people who we might see only once or twice, but have names and thus the ability to become a part of the fabric of the story in a more real way than if you only discuss and name the main and secondary characters.

Mllteie oe.  It's fun to think up detailed and expansive backstories for characters, even if they never make it into the story.  The hard part is willing yourself to leave some of those details out  ;D
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Amaya

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on January 14, 2011, 08:33:40 AM
Quote from: Amaya on January 14, 2011, 06:51:29 AM

Mllteie oe.  It's fun to think up detailed and expansive backstories for characters, even if they never make it into the story.  The hard part is willing yourself to leave some of those details out  ;D

Indeed  ;)  That might have quite a bit to do with the reason my fic is presently close to 250,000 words and I still have ten (or so) chapters (probably about 10,000 words average each) to go...

In any case, back to the proper topic, although I don't feel compitent enough in the area of linguistics to posit new words, I'm greatly looking forward to an expansion of vocabulary, since using the proper words for things adds greatly to the "flavour" of my writing.

Kamean

Ma wm.annis! Ngari irayo seiyi oe teri "syllables list"iri. This is epic!

fkxìpx :) :D ;D
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Ikran Ahiyìk

Which 6 combinations are missing...

Prrton

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on January 14, 2011, 09:59:36 AM
Which 6 combinations are missing...

K. Pawl had checked and blessed the list, so whatever they are, they're just going to be missing it would seem.

Maybe:

frrr, flll, srrr, slll, tsrrr, tslll ??

It's just my guess. Those are easy to overlook doing calculations.

Ikran Ahiyìk

Hmm.. definately, and

rrr, lll

8 not 6.. 8690 not 8698 or 8692

Ataeghane

rrr, lll - aren't these illegal?

BTW, tsmo' is my favourite.

Oer wivìntxu ngal oey keyeyt krr a tse'a sat. Frakrr.

Ikran Ahiyìk

I like slek .. ::)