New hardware funding drive!

Started by Toruk Makto, January 03, 2017, 01:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toliman

Tirea Aean

Woooo!!

Txantsana fmawn nang! Thanks for the update. I was really beginning to wonder about this.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Toruk Makto

Necropost!

Update...  If it seems that the new server stand up date has gotten pushed back, that's because it has. Here's why:

The LearnNavi community continues to benefit from the generosity of many people. One has made available a full-tilt-boogie VMware license for our new Kelutral. The cost of this actually exceeds the cost of the server hardware, so this is a very big deal. Without getting too technical, VMware will allow us to more logically and efficiently craft a server environment to handle every facet of the LearnNavi world, as well as making resources available to support other major conlangs.

It also changed a few specifications on the hardware. An all new SAS HDD system has been purchased to boost the storage to a RAID10 of 3.7TB. A judicious sourcing of the CPUs freed enough funds for this without exceeding the original $3000 estimate. To allow VMware to fully use the CPU power of 32 cores, the RAM needs a boost from 128GB to 256GB. This will run around $600. It is not absolutely required before the go-live, but if I can scrape up enough funds for it, we can hit the ground fully loaded. Otherwise, it can be added later.

Now that we have Virtual Machine (VM) capability, the plan is to migrate the existing server to a VM on the new host and get the host box into the data center and into production. The new compute environment development will continue and LearnNavi services will be migrated there in an orderly fashion (rather than the hair-raising hot cut that would be necessary in a traditional bare metal server move).  This will begin in Q1 of 2018.

Also beginning next year, a complete redesign of the LearnNavi main website will begin, again made possible by the new VM host. There will be more info on that coming up soon. With the expertise and involvement of members of our community, it will be a properly managed process and I hope to have both projects completed by the end of 2018. At that point we will be well positioned for the roller coaster ride of six years of sequels and all of the new Avatar material that is even now being announced.

It's an exciting time for our community! Siva ko!

- Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Seze

I'm excited to start working on this!  ;D

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Toliman

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 12, 2017, 02:28:46 PM
  Also beginning next year, a complete redesign of the LearnNavi main website will begin, again made possible by the new VM host. There will be more info on that coming up soon. With the expertise and involvement of members of our community, it will be a properly managed process and I hope to have both projects completed by the end of 2018. At that point we will be well positioned for the roller coaster ride of six years of sequels and all of the new Avatar material that is even now being announced.
Sounds great! :) I hpe that it will be done successfuly :)