Our own Jane MacMillian stands tall and blue at Worldcon!

Started by `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, August 20, 2011, 04:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

The Worldcon science fiction convention has been quite the event this year, and I will have much more to say about that in other threads. (I have been saturated with Klingon and Dothraki (as well as 'preaching' Na`vi) the last seven days!)

In any case, imagine my pleasant surprise to see our own Jane MacMillian show up on stage during the masquerade with her bow, and bring a little Pandora into the ballroom. Imagine my even bigger surprise when she walks out with a array of awards! These included:

Best in Show - re-creation (one of only two 'best in show' awards given!)
Journeyman class - Best makeup
And a very special award given out by the Armed Costumer's Group - the 'Blammy' award (only one awarded)

Txantsan nìwotx, ma Jane MacMillian nang

Here is a picture of Jane on stage, having just received one of her awards (this was shot using a very long lens, in poor light)

Here is a picture of Jane showing her archery skills to delighted fans after the awards

This is truly a 'tall and blue day' not only for Jane, but for the entire Na`vi community!

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toruk Makto

Ok. The lights on the bow are officially the coolest thing I have ever seen!

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

WOU NANG!!!  :o I want a bow just like that for my costume next year! Her entire costume is an epic win but that bow! Holy cheese! I like the top piece too, very nice rendition of the outfit Neytiri wore when Jake became hapxìtu Na'viyä :)

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Toruk Makto on August 20, 2011, 09:45:03 AM

Mllte! :) It's simply amazing. :D

Maria TunVrrtep

I so wish I could afford to buy a longbow.  I have a recurve but that isn't the right kind of bow.
"Ke'u ke lu law a krr frakem tsunslu." -
    Margaret Drabble
("When nothing is sure, everything is possible.")

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Txura Rolyu

Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Nyx

Ekirä

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Toruk Makto on August 20, 2011, 09:45:03 AM

Even better, they are purple/UV LEDs designed to make her sanhì glow brighter!

Jane was out and about in the halls today, and I have a couple more pictures I will post tomorrow night!

Yawey ngahu!

Txura Rolyu

Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Jane MacMillan

Tstunwi, ma frapo. I am so honored to have won Best in Show and I'm delighted that you like my costume. I'll be posting a detailed breakdown over in the costuming forum once I recover from the convention. I want to see an entire tribe of Na'vi and avatars the next time we gather the clans.
'Eylan Ayfalulukanä, it was lovely to see you at the con. Thank you for taking and sharing the photos.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

As promised, here are some more pictures of Jane MacMillian from WorldCon 2011!

Jane on stage during the awards

Jane talking to another award winner on stage

Jane poses in the official photography area after the awards.

Jane outside the ballroom

Another view of Jane outside the ballroom

The next day, out in the hallways of the convention center

Here I am with Jane, in my Celtic warrior outfit (next year, it will be avatar!)

Enjoy!

Yawey ngahu!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

To be fair, on the last pictures, she looks best, an Avatar woman in human outfit, she looks cute  :-[
I wish I'd ever find a girl who'd do that. :-( For me that'd be love on first sight.  ::)

Sänon Txantslusamawpo

:D Love the pics! Great bow too. One of these days I'll be struttin around in my blue, but until then, I love looking at everyone else's pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Ftiafpi

One of the better Na'vi cosplays I've ever seen and I'm impressed that she got the body paint to hold up so well during the convention. The bow is a wonderful touch and I would have been really neat if she could find a dark area with a black light (I'm assuming the sanhì are UV reactive?).

Glad to see her win the awards she did, she must have been stoked. Also, does she speak any Na'vi? Is she on the forum?

Jane MacMillan

@Ftiafpi: My Na'vi is not that good, but I did use a little of it in my presentation and I remembered to tell the judges "oe irayo seiyi ayngaru".

This is my final outfit of the convention, attending the Hugo Award ceremony and reception in formalwear:

Here's a video from a convention I attended in April, showing how my sanhì light up under ambient blacklight:

Na'vi at End of Line Club: dancing spots

Txura Rolyu

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

One of the longer panels at the 'Con was a workshop on costume makeup. The second hour especially, a top guy from WETA workshop went over some advanced techniques, some of which are applicable to a Na`vi cosplay. (A number of people left the room seriously 'wounded' from that presentation!) One of the appropriate body paint techniques they discussed was the one Jane used, but I will let her tell you about that.

Jane's Na`vi was good enough that we were able to freely exchange greetings in the halls in passing. This was very nice, as real communication was happening, and that is the whole point of language!

Yawey ngahu!