Real Na'vi Tribe forum section

Started by Toruk Makto, December 02, 2013, 02:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the Real Na'vi Tribe forum be archived?

Archive but remain visible
Archive and make hidden
Leave as is

Toruk Makto

This ambitious project appears to have wound down and there is very little traffic in the forum section for it now.  I have been having thoughts of archiving the section and removing it from production permanently. If anyone has any thoughts or comments on this, or a good reason why the forum section should remain, please let me know here.

Thanks!

-Markì

EDIT: the content will not be deleted, just set to invisible to the members.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tìtstewan

I voted 'yes' but I wouldn't delete it, better archive them. In the German section has been moved the old role-playing boards into a board "old role-play" (as child-board). So it will be everything there, and if in future this section become more active, they can reads what was written in the past and could use it as a source as well.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I don't think Marki has any intention of deleting it, just archiving it as he says in his post.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tìtstewan

Oophs...  I misunderstood that word "removed" in the poll question... :-[

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Taronyu Leleioae

(Re-voted...)

I do think it should be closed/locked.  Perhaps moved, as Tìtstewan suggests, to an archive area but still be readable by members.  I found this section both interesting and thought provoking to read when I came to the LN forum.  While I admit that I didn't think it was feasible as it takes much time to understand to live in harmony with the land to really understand what it can provide, and what overwhelms it (resources), I think having this section readable and searchable is valuable for future members as new interest in the Na'vi culture and way of life emerges through the future films and books.

As a bystander, I do think the project is a "no go".  Not for a large group trying to carve out an area for their own preferably in isolation.  But this section has, imo, great value to read and reflect upon as both what could be, and what our way of life was in our distant past (and still is for a few cultures).  Plus it reflects ideas and discussion on what we, as a "modern" society have given up, as well as forgotten (both spiritually and skills) through the passing of time and technological advancement.

Toruk Makto

I have edited the poll for clarity and fixed the silly typo in the topic. Also set the poll to allow vote changes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Clarke

Locking it makes sense, but I don't see how it helps anything for it to be hidden from members browsing it.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

A lot of fora have an ability to set up an archive area, where depreciated fora can be 'stored'. they are still available to users, but are not editable/appendable. I suspect that SMF can do this, but I have never looked to see if this is possible. I think this is what Marki has in mind.

Archiving is useful, as it shortens the list of active fora one has to look through without actually deleting content.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Toruk Makto

Good point about it staying visible. I guess I am thinking more of housecleaning. SMF doesn't have a board archiving feature.  It's a bit of a fuss, but I can specifically set each board in the section to "local" permission and disallow new topics and replies. That would leave it visible, but not writable.

EDIT: I restarted the poll with new options...

Tìtstewan

Well, voted "Archive but remain visible", because I see no reason why these boards should be hidden.

Toruk Makto

Ok, the Tribe forum is now archived. It is visible, but read-only.

-Markì