Chatting in Na'vi~~~~~Please correct!

Started by Aysanhì Makto, January 07, 2010, 12:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aysanhì Makto

What's up guys. I figure that anyone on this site wants to learn to speak Na'vi at least a little bit, so I thought it would be cool to make a page to just talk to people in Na'vi. write translations and please correct any mistakes you see!! irayo.

Kaltxi, ma smukan.
Oe new nume Na'vi nìtxan.
Oe ftayia nìtxan, sì slu txur oeyä aylì'uhu.

Hello, brothers.
I want to learn na'vi very much.
I will study a lot and become strong with my words.

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

1-good
2-it should be nivume, I just learned about the objective infintive
3- ulte is a better connector, since it's two phrases. And I think an <ay> future infix since the "will" is implied
"And that's how you scatter the roaches."- Col. Miles Quaritch.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

kewnya txamew'itan

• perfect
  • as Hawnuyu atìtse'a said nume should be subjunctive so with a <iv> infix as it is an objective infinitive. Also, you need cases for oe and Na'vi. Oe is the agent so should be oel whilst Na'vi is the object so should be Na'vit. The phrase should read oel new nivume na'vit nìtxan
  • again Hawnuyu got it, you should use ulte instead, see this topic for an explanation on the difference.

Well done, these are pretty good, your word order seems a bit English though, try playing with the freedom a bit, if you look at Frommer's phrases he tends to put the verb at the end.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Swok Txon

Kaltxi Aytsukam! Oe lu Swok Txon!

"Hello Brothers! I am Sacred Night!"

Nga lu srak?

"You are?"

Ayoe zene nume nì'ul Na'vi!

"We must learn more Na'vi!"

Sevinan

Kaltxi tsmukan Aysanhi Makto, oe lu Savinan

Oeng tsun nume Na'viyä plltxe 'awsiteng

Sìltsan Omueim nga

Hello brother Aysanhi Makto, I am Savinan

We can learn The Na'vi language together

Nice to meet you

omängum fra'uti

Well I was going to lock this thread and redirect to another one which was for the same thing, but it wasn't on the first few pages so I figure it's died out and a fresh start would be fine. :)  However, since I already wrote up the moderation message in Na'vi I figured I should share it as a sentence example.  (But please feel free to continue here!)

Fì'u sìltsana tskxekeng fpi tìnume leiu!
Slä fì'u ke 'awvo lu.  Tivut mì tsatseng a oeru rutxe.

this good-ADJ exercise for-the-sake-of learning be-LAUD
but this not first be.  continue-SUBJ in that-place that 1-DAT please

This is a great exercise for learning!  But it is not the first.  Please continue in that thread...  (Which would have been a link.)

Now on to the corrections...

Sevinan
Oeng tsun nume Na'viyä plltxe 'awsiteng
I'm not sure we can grammatically express this at this point with what we know, however two comments here.  First, when you're suggesting something can happen, you should use the subjunctive <iv> with what you're suggesting, to indicate that it is not itself a fact.  Second, you have Na'viyä there as the genitive, but no other noun for it to be the posessive of.  If you're going to use plltxe (v. speak) then you should use nìNa'vi instead.  If you want to use Na'viyä you would do Na'viyä lì'fya (The people's word-way, AKA the Na'vi language) and drop plltxe.

If I had to offer a suggestion of re-writing it, I'd suggest...  (Standard disclaimer that this is outside the grammar rules that are fairly well accepted as correct.)
Oeng-ri tsun n<iv>ume Na'vi-yä lì'fya-ti 'awsiteng.
About us, can learn Na'vi language together.

Sìltsan Omueim nga
Good to know you
Actually, it says "Good you know".  To say what you're meaning...
Sìltsan omueim ngat
Pretty close though, just need that case ending to indicate that nga is the accusitive, what is being known.

Swok Txon
Nga lu srak?
Srane, oe lu.  At least that's how I'd answer that question because you just asked, "You are, right?"  The "srak" ending is for yes/no questions, not open ended questions.
Nga pefo lu?
You are who?

Ayoe zene nume nì'ul Na'vi!
But I want to learn with you too!  (You said "We (not you) with Ayoe.  Ayoeng is "Us, including you".)
Actually, what you said is...
We (But not you) must learn more of the people.
Again same comment above about nìNa'vi plltxe vs Na'viyä lì'fya, as well as the subjunctive.
Ayoeng zene n<iv>ume Na'viyä lì'fya.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Kretän

oeri omum niyume nìtxanit ta fi'u
oe-ri omum n<iy>ume nìtxan-it ta fi'u

Attempted:
I-TOP know learn-FUT much-ACC from this.
I know I will learn alot from this (thread).

My first sentance, im pretty sure it will need reconstructing one way or another ^^
Wasn't sure about the transivity of double verbs and unsure about my choice of infix for 'nume', should I include <iv> for the second of double-verb situations? :S

Help = thanks! :P

'Tsamsiyu

Kaltxí, ma aysmuktu.

Oe lu Eledrizztt, oel lu kawng plltxeyu Na'vi

Nìwotx srung lu sìltsan

Eywä ngahu

Hello, my siblings

I am Eledrizztt, I am bad speaking Na'vi

All help is good

Eywä you with

Hello, my siblings (brothers and sisters)

I am Eledrizztt, I am bad at speaking Na'vi

All help is good

Eywä be with you.

Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

Sìltsan omueim ngat needs one more correction. Messing with the translation, you come up with "To know you is good." So the infinitive construction <iv> is needed--> Sìltsan omiveium ngat. As far as nga being the object of a subjective infinitive, the ACC should still work, as there is no specified form.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Tìreyway Atantau

Kaltxì aytsmuk!
Oel lu Tìreyway.
Fikem 'awve krr p<er>lltxe mì Na'vi.

Greetings siblings!
I am Tìreyway.
This first time speaking in Na'vi.

I have been lurking for a few days. That was actually my first time conjugating a verb. lol
I don't quite understand the linguistic stuff yet, but I'm hoping that I may have done something right in three lines. lolz Feedback wanted. :)

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

1st: lenition rule-->ts goes to s, so aysmuk.
2nd: good
3rd: add a lu and oeyä, change fikem, replace mì with a nì- suffix on Na'vi, add an adj marker to 'awve--> Fi'u oeyä 'awvea krr perlltxe nìna'vi lu.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Tìreyway Atantau

Irayo.
I figure that the only way to learn is to try. :)

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Sevinan

Krrpe Oeri plltxe Na'viyä lì'fya,aylapol syaw oeti skxawng sì hiyìk.

Slä oe ke zoplo

Oel nìftxavang lu Na'vi!

When I speak Na'vi, others call me moron and strange

But I'm not insulted

I am pround to be Na'vi!

Aysanhì Makto

Quote from: Hawnuyu atìtse'a on January 07, 2010, 12:30:46 AM
1-good
2-it should be nivume, I just learned about the objective infintive
3- ulte is a better connector, since it's two phrases. And I think an <ay> future infix since the "will" is implied

Irayo, oe ke omìmum, slä set oe omum.
Peyfa yol ayngal nolume Na'vit??

Thanks, I didn't know, but now I do.
How long have you all been learning Na'vi?

Swok Txon

"Oe nerume Na'vi tengkrr"

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

Not sure (don't know) about the "have been" construction, but a better sentence would be:

Oe <have been learning> nìna'vi pivlltxe tengkrr
I have been learning to speak in the manner of the people awhile.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

The Pandoran

I think nerume is right, as in currently learning.

Taronyu

Quote from: Swok Txon on January 08, 2010, 01:09:06 AM
"Oe nerume Na'vi tengkrr"

I'm not sure about this. For one, tengkrr is translated as while, at the same time as. This means it is used in constructions like: "While this was happening..." and not as in the adverb awhile.

Also, Na'vi is specifcally the people. It's not a name for the language.

Nerume isn't have been. That's the past passive, and migt be best translated as n<er><am>ume. But I see what you are trying to say, and that's tricky, so yes, nerume might work.

I would use this construction:

Oe nerume nìNa'vi pivlltxe.
I learn-IMPERF na'vi-ADV speak-SUBJ
I'm learning to speak like a Na'vi.

I don't know what case temporal noun phrases would go into, and I'm not sure anyone does.

Tìhawnu Ta'em

Kaltxi tsmukan sì tsmuke.
Ngaya fyape lu srak?

Hello brothers and sisters.
How are you?