Learn Na'vi > nìNa'vi Practice Conversations

My Practice Sentences: My Book

(1/2) > >>

Kame Ayyo’koti:
These are a few sentences I put together myself for practice "talking about stuff." Since I wrote them, I'd like to know if they're correct:

Lu oe-ru ay-fuk a-pxay.
Attempted meaning: I have many books.

Fì-puk oe-yä lu kllvawm, ulte tsaw lu lor.
A.m.: This book of mine is brown, and it is beautiful.
("kllvawm sì lor" would probably sound better, but I wanted to throw in "ulte" and "tsaw.")

Pxay-a ay-lì'u tsa-ru lu.
A.m.: Many words it has.

Any other thoughts are welcome. :)

Kemaweyan:
Just one note: with pxay we usually use nouns in singular: puk apxay, pxaya lì'u. Plural with pxay is correct too, but it's an exception. With other words which express number (hol, 'a'aw, numbers) we must use singular:

pxaya puk - correct
pxaya fuk - correct

hola puk - correct
*hola fuk - wrong

'a'awa puk - correct
*'a'awa fuk - wrong

pukapa puk - correct
*pukapa fuk - wrong

Kame Ayyo’koti:
I'm so glad they're correct! :D I'll have to try something more complicated next time.

I'll change the plurals so it sounds normal, and I'll make note about the numbers.
Irayo nìtxan, ma Kemaweyan!

Blue Elf:

--- Quote from: Kemaweyan on February 12, 2014, 07:25:30 am ---Just one note: with pxay we usually use nouns in singular: puk apxay, pxaya lì'u. Plural with pxay is correct too, but it's an exception. With other words which express number (hol, 'a'aw, numbers) we must use singular:

pxaya puk - correct
pxaya fuk - correct

--- End quote ---
That's interesting information for me, do we have official source? (lazy to search :()

Kemaweyan:

--- Quote from: Blue Elf on February 13, 2014, 01:14:35 pm ---
--- Quote from: Kemaweyan on February 12, 2014, 07:25:30 am ---Just one note: with pxay we usually use nouns in singular: puk apxay, pxaya lì'u. Plural with pxay is correct too, but it's an exception. With other words which express number (hol, 'a'aw, numbers) we must use singular:

pxaya puk - correct
pxaya fuk - correct

--- End quote ---
That's interesting information for me, do we have official source? (lazy to search :()

--- End quote ---

Yeah, from this message:

--- Quote ---Note that pxay ‘many’ is exceptional in that it can be used with either singular or plural nouns: pxaya tute and pxaya sute are both allowable. The form with the singular is appropriate for all contexts, while the one with the plural is mainly used colloquially.
--- End quote ---

But there is also another message:

--- Quote ---You’ve seen the KH in action before. For example, you know that “five stingbats” and “many viperwolves” is mrra riti and pxaya nantang respectively, not *mrra ayriti and *pxaya aynantang. Since number is already expressed by “five” and “many,” you don’t need a plural marker on the nouns, which remain in the “unmarked” or singular form.
--- End quote ---

So plural with pxay is possible only in colloquial conversation :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version