Learn Na'vi > nìNa'vi Practice Conversations

Txontaw's practice thread

(1/9) > >>

Txontaw:
I'm working on that document right now, and I'm not quite sure what the correct usage is for Topical. Is it just a way to mark a word as important within a sentence?

For example, would;

My spear is sharp
Oe-yä tukru-ri lu pxi
I-[Gen] spear-[Top] be sharp

The same as:

My spear is sharp
Oe-yä tukru lu pxi-ri
I-[Gen] spear be sharp-[Top]

But with spear being important in one, and sharp being important in the other?

If I did anything else wrong, please help me fix it, so we can get to the main question.

Also, as a side question, what are affixes? Are they kind of like suffixes?

HTML_Earth:

--- Quote from: Txontaw on January 09, 2010, 01:16:15 pm ---Also, as a side question, what are affixes? Are they kind of like suffixes?

--- End quote ---

Edit: affixes are prefixes, suffixes, etc.

kewnya txamew'itan:
The second is wrong. Sharp is an adjective and -ri is a noun case, it cannot be applied to adjectives.

As for the top one, a topical marker is more than is necessary, it doesn't need to be marked as it is the subject of an intransitive verb.

The correct sentence would be oe-yä tukri lu pxi

Txontaw:
Well, you fixed the sentences, but I still don't get the point of Topical suffixes...

Plumps:
That's an interesting question. Personally, I've never seen the topical marker used for adjectives before and I'm not sure whether that is even possible (but then again, why not? if you want to draw attention to the sharpness of the spear...?)

I'm having difficulties in the right usage of the topical marker as well ... tried to understand it and asked a friend who studies Japanese (where a kind-of topical marker exists as well) but it didn't enlighten me.

HTML_Earth explained it correctly: affix is the hypernym (umbrella term???) for prefixes, suffixes, and infixes.

I spotted one little typing error:
2nd sentence should be: oe-yä tukru lu pxi-ri. - again, no idea whether you can use -ri with adjectives.

What do the others say?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version