Word Football Game

Started by Blue Elf, March 30, 2011, 04:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Elf

QuoteNawma txe'lan lu 'u letsranten frato fte flivä wina kemìri lehrrap, slä tìkangkemìri tsa'u lu nawma eltu.
Very interesting translation. Pity that we can't ask the author how exactly he meant his quote (it was Arthur Schopenhauer)
QuoteTxo fko zene kemo sivi, sweylu txo fko tsakem silvi mì hìkrr a tsakem tsayunslu, tup hawngkrr.
Literally: If one must do something (some action), one should do that action now (this time), when that action will be possible to do, rather than it is late.
Meaning: If one must do something, one should do it earlier than it is late.
What Tanri probably wanted to say (proverb or saying): What you can do today, do not postpone till tomorrow.
Srake?
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Tanri

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 16, 2011, 02:24:36 PM
What Tanri probably wanted to say (proverb or saying): What you can do today, do not postpone till tomorrow.
Only a little shift in meaning :), the original sentence was something like this: "If we must do something, it is better to do it immediately when it's possible, not later."
Tätxawyu akì'ong.

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Tanri on April 16, 2011, 04:04:45 PM
"If we must do something, it is better to do it immediately when it's possible, not later."

Sometimes it's better to take some time to contemplate. There's a Russian saying that goes like this:

Txo fko win säpivi, tsakrr suteti heykivangham fkol.
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on April 17, 2011, 07:54:10 AM
Txo fko win säpivi, tsakrr suteti heykivangham fkol.
If one is in a hurry, then one causes (other) people to laugh.
Big Czech teacher Jan Amos Comenius said something similar: Big hurry is good only for animals.

Alyara Arati

fkol -> lam  (really thin connection, but the quote seemed to fit in)

Furia fko fnu ulte fko lam yaymak, lu sìltsan to fwa fko plltxe ulte fko slu fìfya.
~ Mark Twain (butchered by me)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 17, 2011, 11:31:51 PM
fkol -> lam  (really thin connection, but the quote seemed to fit in)
no problem :) everything is allowed
Furia fko fnu ulte fko lam yaymak, lu sìltsan to fwa fko plltxe ulte fko slu fìfya.
~ Mark Twain (butchered by me)
Wou, too-many-fko sentence!
As for one is quiet and appears to be foolish is better than that one speaks and becomes like this.
Very free translation:It is better to keep silence, if you have nothing to say.

A little opposite quote (Chinese saying):
Txo nga payawm, nga layam na skxawng yol krr/swaw.
Txo nga ke payawm, nga layu skxawng frakrr/ 'änsyema tìrey.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

QuoteTxo nga payawm, nga layam na skxawng yol krr/swaw. Txo nga ke payawm, nga layu skxawng frakrr/ 'änsyema tìrey.
if you will ask, you will look like a moron for a short time. if you don't ask, you will be a moron always/to the end of life.

corrections: I think you meant fko when you say nga.
                  these two sentences are in the general sense so I'd use present tense (except for the last lu which must be in future).
                  in the first sentence krr is better since all moments are short. also you need to put suffix -o to show duration.
                  in the second sentence if you want to say "to the end of life" it will be tì'i'avay tìreyä.

so after corrections it should look like this:
Txo fko pawm, fko lam na skxawng yol krro. Txo fko ke pawm, fko layu skxawng frakrr/ tì'i'avay tìreyä.
Nivume Na'vit, fpivìl nìNa'vi, kivame na Na'vi.....
oer fko syaw tswusayona tsamsiyu

Puvomun

Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on April 18, 2011, 03:40:18 AM
QuoteTxo nga payawm, nga layam na skxawng yol krr/swaw. Txo nga ke payawm, nga layu skxawng frakrr/ 'änsyema tìrey.
if you will ask, you will look like a moron for a short time. if you don't ask, you will be a moron always/to the end of life.

corrections: I think you meant fko when you say nga.
                  these two sentences are in the general sense so I'd use present tense (except for the last lu which must be in future).
                  in the first sentence krr is better since all moments are short. also you need to put suffix -o to show duration.
                  in the second sentence if you want to say "to the end of life" it will be tì'i'avay tìreyä.

so after corrections it should look like this:
Txo fko pawm, fko lam na skxawng yol krro. Txo fko ke pawm, fko layu skxawng frakrr/ tì'i'avay tìreyä.

Tewti, this is a great sentence to play with!

I would put it like this in Na'vi (errors come free, as usual):

Pawm 'awlo, ulte lu skxawng hìkrr. Ke pawm, ulte lu skawng frakrr!
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

first of all you should add <iv> infix to all verbs because it's not a command. second, you need the -o suffix on hìkrr and unfotunately that will ruin the rhyme.

Puvomun

Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on April 18, 2011, 05:23:04 AM
first of all you should add <iv> infix to all verbs because it's not a command. second, you need the -o suffix on hìkrr and unfotunately that will ruin the rhyme.

Irayo, I keep forgetting about <iv> being a wish-form. I only learnt that yesterday and forgot it just as fast. ;)

But it could be fixed like this then?

Pivawm 'awlo, ulte hìkrro lu skxawng. Ke pivawm, ulte frakrr lu skawng!

(Meanwhile I will look up what this -o suffix is supposed to do.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

you forgot <iv> in the lus.
-o suffix means duration when put on time words. examples: mesrro-for two days
                                                                                                   kintrro-for a week
                                                                                                   pxevospxìo-for three months

when not on time words it means an uncertain thing (in English there's the prefix "some"): tuteo-someone
                                                                                                                                    'uo-something
                                                                                                                                    utralo-some tree

Puvomun

Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on April 18, 2011, 05:57:05 AM
you forgot <iv> in the lus.
-o suffix means duration when put on time words. examples: mesrro-for two days
                                                                                                   kintrro-for a week
                                                                                                   pxevospxìo-for three months

when not on time words it means an uncertain thing (in English there's the prefix "some"): tuteo-someone
                                                                                                                                    'uo-something
                                                                                                                                    utralo-some tree
Ahhh... I see... Thank you for explaining!

Pivawm 'awlo,
ulte hìkrro livu skxawng.
Ke pivawm,
ulte frakrr livu skawng!

Right, I threw all rules of this game overboard, but it was (for me at least) a fun way to do it. Creating a new Na'vi sentence that comes from the Ìnglìsì translation of a Na'vi sentence!

I like how this came out. And I learnt something too. :D

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sireayä mokri

first of all you should add <iv> infix to all verbs because it's not a command.

<iv> wouldn't distinguish a polite or wish form from a command; it's is optional in both cases.

Quote from: PawlAt an earlier point in the history of the language there was probably a polite/familiar distinction (the -iv- form being the politer one), but that's no longer the case. They're used interchangeably. So to say "Go!" you can say either kivä or just kä.

-o suffix means duration when put on time words.

While this is correct, we got Ngaytxoa, ngari narmew txana krr pamrel sivi, slä... from Pawl. The absence of -o in this example confuses me a little.

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on April 18, 2011, 08:14:44 AM
first of all you should add <iv> infix to all verbs because it's not a command.

<iv> wouldn't distinguish a polite or wish form from a command; it's is optional in both cases.

Quote from: PawlAt an earlier point in the history of the language there was probably a polite/familiar distinction (the -iv- form being the politer one), but that's no longer the case. They're used interchangeably. So to say "Go!" you can say either kivä or just kä.
didn't know. thanks.

Quote from: Sireayä mokri on April 18, 2011, 08:14:44 AM
-o suffix means duration when put on time words.

While this is correct, we got Ngaytxoa, ngari narmew txana krr pamrel sivi, slä... from Pawl. The absence of -o in this example confuses me a little.
may be a little mistake. everybody does mistakes. but perhaps it's just a colloqial form.

Sireayä mokri

Quote from: Tswusayona Tsamsiyu on April 18, 2011, 08:40:56 AM
may be a little mistake.

Either that or txana krr (probably as well as yola krr) doesn't require it.

Alyara Arati

Not a folk saying, just a lyric I love...  frakrr -> krr a

Ayoe yäpayem syalmì ayoeyä ulte ayoe tswayayon krr a ayoe pähem ro lahea pa'o...
Walela (likewise butchered by me)
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

Quote from: Alyara Arati on April 18, 2011, 07:41:09 PM
Not a folk saying, just a lyric I love...  frakrr -> krr a

Ayoe yäpayem syalmì ayoeyä ulte ayoe tswayayon krr a ayoe pähem ro lahea pa'o...
Walela (likewise butchered by me)
We will put ourselves on our wings  and we will fly until we arrive at other side... (not completely sure with "until", but can't find anything better)
I'd like to fly too....  :)

Alyara Arati

krr a is just "when", so what I was trying for was:

We will put ourselves in our wings and we will fly, when we arrive at the other side...

Actual song goes:  "We gonna put on our wings and fly, when we get to the other side..." :D

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Blue Elf

I was thinking about "when" too, but for me it didn't fit best - in reality it did :)
Tam, a few words to raise mood when things go wrong:

Zerok: keng ngeyä tìreyä 'e'al zìsìtur lu kivosìng hapxì nì'aw. (Quote by Sofokles. One important word is not available, but I'm sure you understand)
Txo fìwopx lew si kifkey, tsaw ke sngä'i kivìm nìwä. (Tsaw probably is not best here)

Tswusayona Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 19, 2011, 01:25:15 AM
Zerok: keng ngeyä tìreyä 'e'ala zìsìtur lu kivosìng hapxì nì'aw.
remember: even your worst life's year has only 60 parts.

I think 'e'al should be moved to the other side of zìsìtur because genitive (tìreyä) must be next to its possession.

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 19, 2011, 01:25:15 AM
Txo fìwopx lew si kifkeyur, tsaw ke sngä'i kivìm nìwä.
if clouds cover the world, it doesn't start to spin on the contrary.