Buildings

Started by Key'ìl Nekxetse, October 31, 2010, 04:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of buildings would be best once we are established? (not including medical/computer rooms)

Prefabricated imported buildings (shed, freespirit sphere)
0 (0%)
Modern buildings (brick, breeze block, concrete)
1 (2.6%)
Heavy duty buildings built on site (mud brick, log cabin)
8 (21.1%)
Light weight buildings built on site (debris shelter, watle and daub)
8 (21.1%)
Non-permanant (tent, fly sheet)
4 (10.5%)
Individual choice of anything that can be built on site
16 (42.1%)
Individual choice of anything, including imported materials
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

guest2859

Well, what we did was cut 2x4's into about 6" pieces, screw them into a tree to make a kind of ridge for the actual platform, and put the platform on, but there were some 2x4's that crossed under for support.

Txonari

Although the sphere idea is really nice, I'll have to go with light weight, or normal treehouse. I mean, if we could eventually build or buy the spheres, that'd be great... but, it isn't really practical at the moment.

Heh, every time I think of "treehouse", I think of a little settlement up in the trees. With light, sturdy bridges in the other trees interconnecting them. Kind of like this except more realistic and natural. ;D
All I want is a single thing worth fighting for.

guest2859

That would be cool... but trees keep growing.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Well, then every couple of years we could just reset the bridges to keep up with the tree growth.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Lovely idea! Getting up would be so easy... ::)
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Txonari

Heh, I didn't mean that realistically, of course. That would take a lot of work. It was just what I pictured when some people said "treehouse".

But I still think it'd be pretty cool. :P

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Well, I've been thinking about the idea fo a tree house for my own house when I'm grown (something I never had but would love for my kids to have) and a lot of the research that I've done is saying there are cirtain trees you just do NOT build houses in.  Therefor, what tim of shelters we have, and weather or not they are above ground will be compleatly dependant on what kind of trees we have around us.

Txonari

Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on November 02, 2010, 04:32:23 PM
Well, I've been thinking about the idea fo a tree house for my own house when I'm grown (something I never had but would love for my kids to have) and a lot of the research that I've done is saying there are cirtain trees you just do NOT build houses in.  Therefor, what tim of shelters we have, and weather or not they are above ground will be compleatly dependant on what kind of trees we have around us.

That's true. Ground shelters would be much easier, and I can see that probably being the way we'll go.
Also, I guess what kind of material it should be would highly depend on the typical weather of where we're staying, and just the general environment.

So really, I'd say we can't make a final decision on this until we know where we'll be.

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Quote from: Txonari on November 02, 2010, 04:37:29 PM
Quote from: Aykerusey mì Terìran on November 02, 2010, 04:32:23 PM
Ground shelters would be much easier, and I can see that probably being the way we'll go.
Also, I guess what kind of material it should be would highly depend on the typical weather of where we're staying, and just the general environment.

So really, I'd say we can't make a final decision on this until we know where we'll be.

I compleatly agree with this statement.  Unfortunately, until we see what the landscape is going to be like, we can't make any final desissions.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Not to blow my own horn again, but that's another one of the beauties of the spheres. The way they are mounted allows the weight to be distributed between smaller/softer trees. If we don't get the spheres themselves, and we end up in an area with smaller trees, one thing we could do if we still want treehouses is replicate the mounting system ourselves with our self-made houses.

Revolutionist

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Txonari

Quote from: Tsyal Maktoyu on November 03, 2010, 12:41:13 AM
Not to blow my own horn again, but that's another one of the beauties of the spheres. The way they are mounted allows the weight to be distributed between smaller/softer trees. If we don't get the spheres themselves, and we end up in an area with smaller trees, one thing we could do if we still want treehouses is replicate the mounting system ourselves with our self-made houses.

I like the sphere idea as well... it's very original, and (aside from the cost) practical.

Predict

The only problem with the sphere is building it, it's certainly one of the harder shapes to fabricate with natural resources. Regarding 'Light weight buildings built on site', I'm not that keen on living permanently in a debris shelter and impressive buildings would be a good 'selling point' for the tribe, something we will probably need.

Txonari

Quote from: 'Eylan Ayikranä on November 04, 2010, 01:33:20 PM
The only problem with the sphere is building it, it's certainly one of the harder shapes to fabricate with natural resources. Regarding 'Light weight buildings built on site', I'm not that keen on living permanently in a debris shelter and impressive buildings would be a good 'selling point' for the tribe, something we will probably need.

I completely agree. Although the sphere would be nice, it would be difficult to make. And debris shelters wouldn't really work out too well, I can imagine. We need to find some sort of medium. (Unless the spheres could be worked out, which would be nice. But that's just my opinion.)

Tsyal Maktoyu

Maybe something like that nest I posted? Probably not with such an intricate weaving, but maybe the metal frame filled in with natural materials on sight? Then we could mount then in a similar way as the spheres.

Probably a bit lighter, too.

Revolutionist

Tsufätu Ayioangä

I kinda like that idea.

Txonari

Good idea, but I don't actually know what you mean by 'nest'. It'd be nice though to have multi-purpose housing. At the very least, more than just a place to sleep. Yes, a lot of time will be spent doing tribal stuff, but it'd be nice to have a place to relax alone if need be, which is why I like the sphere idea.

Tsyal Maktoyu

I meant that weaved thing I posted on the last page. :)

Revolutionist

Txonari

Quote from: Tsyal Maktoyu on November 05, 2010, 08:02:25 AM
I meant that weaved thing I posted on the last page. :)

Oh, heh I didn't notice that one. :P

It looks nice, but you have to wonder how sturdy it would be. I like to look at each potential shelter, and imagine it in a rain storm. Would it survive?

hemmond

IMHO, it'd be great if we'll be able to make simple shacks, like the native aborigine tribes. It's simply and tested by times. :) It'll surive many things and it's good place not only for sleeping, but for living.

btw: This buildings are for tribe or eco-village? Because  IMHO tribe should live in this shacks/tee-pees, and eco-village should have good wooden buildings...
old gallery link?id=1849[/img]
old gallery link?id=1890[/img]

http://twitter.com/hemmondssandbox

If it's change in you, then the world is changing too.
--22nd World Scout Jamboree anthem.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I was thinking about mostly the tribe, with some more usual buildings for equipment and so on.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.