Buildings

Started by Key'ìl Nekxetse, October 31, 2010, 04:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of buildings would be best once we are established? (not including medical/computer rooms)

Prefabricated imported buildings (shed, freespirit sphere)
0 (0%)
Modern buildings (brick, breeze block, concrete)
1 (2.6%)
Heavy duty buildings built on site (mud brick, log cabin)
8 (21.1%)
Light weight buildings built on site (debris shelter, watle and daub)
8 (21.1%)
Non-permanant (tent, fly sheet)
4 (10.5%)
Individual choice of anything that can be built on site
16 (42.1%)
Individual choice of anything, including imported materials
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Key'ìl Nekxetse

We've been discussing buildings while working on the dry run, so I thought we should be a bit more definite. I hope we can finalise the decision on what to use fairly soon.
This will be reasonable progress toward completing the dry run, so hopefully we can agree. :)
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

guest2859

I'd do lightweight buildings, then move on to Freespirit Spheres.

Tsufätu Ayioangä

I am kind of against the idea of anything to perminent because we don't want to scar the land with our pressence or after we are gone.

guest2859

$49,500USD for 1 sphere... Well, pricey, but I think after a few years, we could build that up.

Tonbogiri

Interesting.

AN idea would be to bring in pre-fabricated structures (such as the free spirit spheres), and build some light and then heavy duty buildings ourselves.

And I think that there are options for buying the spheres which could reduce the cost - i.e. without furniture inside!

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Woa wait a second... Now I realize that I haven't been around in awhile because of school but have we changed our ideas on this tribe?

Why are we even conteplating outside things?  I thought the point of the tribe was to live off the land, not $50,000 homes.

What is the tribe doing to get money?  Where would this money come from?

Tsyal Maktoyu

An unfurnished sphere is $2500.

There's also Korowai treehouses if you want something built on site.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Key'ìl Nekxetse

~$ life --help

Txontaw

I really don't like those sphere treehouses. I find them kind of ugly. There are no perfect spheres in the natural world (save eyes, I suppose). I'd rather make our own treehouse that flows with the tree it's in.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Key'ìl Nekxetse

If you get an eye cross section, I don't think even that is a perfect sphere!
~$ life --help

Tonbogiri

Eeek! Raised voices in the topic.

I am keen for our homes to be constructed by us. It would be the ultimate step. However, in order to build these homes, we would need some sort of at least temporary accomodation "On site" - after all, Rome wasn't built in a day!

My orginal opinion still stands - tents for when we first get there, a solid brought-in structure for our communications equipment (satellite phones etc), and we will build our own place!

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Tsufätu Ayioangä

I do agree with having something solid for the technical room.  We don't want computers getting hit with bad weathering.  Still, I don't think we need a $50,000 room...

Tsyal Maktoyu

I think I found the perfect treehouses for us. ;D Something outside of the normal "4 walls and a roof" design (even more unnatural looking than perfect spheres ;)), but materially still more natural than the fiberglass spheres.

http://dornob.com/weavers-nest-tree-house-or-the-work-of-a-very-big-bird/

We could build the frames ourselves, and then fill them out once we set them up.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

guest2859

That looks complicated and like too much work... I would trust the ladder, frame and hanging part, but I wouldn't just use flexible sticks like that...

Txontaw

My first thought was "racing helmet". I think we'd be better off building a more traditional treehouse, except one that flows with the trees instead of looking like a normal house that was placed in a tree.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

guest2859

I have one in my tree... It's exxxxxxtremely small though. It was a pain to build, doesn't have a ceiling or walls, just a platform.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I expect building platforms is the most difficult part, but I'm worried about the actual methods we will use.
How can we attach something to a tree and not damage it?
~$ life --help

Tsufätu Ayioangä

And how can we get wood stable enough to hosue people for long periods of time in nature?

Fnua Atxkxe

I seem to remember a pretty in depth discussion about this AGES ago, you need someone to archive this kinda stuff, we went through a lot of good points in the past, all in the archives still, big job though O:
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^