Eco-Village: Reconsider or Leave Behind?

Started by guest2859, February 26, 2011, 12:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We should throw away the Eco-Village.

Strongly Agree
2 (20%)
Agree
2 (20%)
Neutral
4 (40%)
Disagree
1 (10%)
Strongly Disagree
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 07, 2011, 05:39:06 PM

guest2859

Well, I think this has been inactive long enough to start deciding on this. Should we still keep the idea, or just leave it behind to go all-tribal?

Tonbogiri

Some elements of the eco-village will be necessary for the tribe to function (communications etc).

Apart from these essential aspects, however, I feel that we should leave the idea of a completely seperate settlement behind. There has not been enough discussion, and current location research is not factoring in the presence of a full eco-village. A "command centre" for the use of the tribe should be enough, I feel.

Any eco-village enthusiasts, please state your case!

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

guest2859

Quote from: Tonbogiri on February 26, 2011, 05:23:46 PM
Some elements of the eco-village will be necessary for the tribe to function (communications etc).

Apart from these essential aspects, however, I feel that we should leave the idea of a completely seperate settlement behind. There has not been enough discussion, and current location research is not factoring in the presence of a full eco-village. A "command centre" for the use of the tribe should be enough, I feel.

Any eco-village enthusiasts, please state your case!

This is how I feel, because I don't even want to design games anymore. I've done Doom Builder for a week and all the coding is disgusting me. I can't even use Sketchup without getting frustrated with 3D design. I would feel better as the Weapons designer.

Nantxe'lan

game design or even game modding IS difficult. but everyone had to go through tihs to get their things going.
anyway.
since i consider myself as a "true" tribe member, i'd say dismiss the eco village for now. but keep it as a possibility to "expand" the tribe settlement.
nevertheless i never liked the thought of a tribe and a eco village which are sepperated somehow. we are one comunity, one group which shares a dream no matter how much of technology anyone is willing to sacrifice.
"All I ever wanted in my sorry-ass life was a single thing worth fighting for."
"Sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move."
Atxkxe - I somehow love this word.

Oeru syaw Nantxe'lan taluna oeri txe'lan 'efu na txe'lan nantangä.
[img]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/

guest2859

Hm, 3 points to remove vs. 2 points to keep. I think this might be an even match.

Tonbogiri

Heh, votes are tricky when we only have a few core members!

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

forgive me for being a skxawng, ma tsmuk, but I'm not sure I know the idea of the eco-village. ???
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Tonbogiri

Don't worry, there has been little or no talk about it in the past few months.

The idea was that the eco-village would be a halfway house between the modern world and the primitivist ways of the tribe. A balance point if you will, with technology to provide luxuries but strictly maintained from renewable and eco-friendly means. It was a nice idea, but there hasn't been very much discussion concerning it, and at most five people who had decided that they wished to occupy the eco-village.

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

I would not occupy the eco-village, however, I would visit often for the technology resources.
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

guest2859

We originally had it as like a 'gateway' to the tribe, kind of like a rehab center for modern civilization, but then all at once, the small group (me included) met and found out we all shared the purpose for game designing. 2 are MIA currently, and I've lost interest. The point of it was a stopping point to get used to nature instead of taking it fully on, but I think we could quickly adjust to climate, but not so quick when it comes to deathly survival. (Sorry, any project can't continue unless we have that bit of pessimism.)

Key'ìl Nekxetse

So long as we're well prepared, I think will be ok. We need to know what we're doing!
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Tonbogiri

So, from an "eco-village" to an "eco-shelter"? With all of the technology that will unfortunately be necessary for our success? Like the reception desk at a hotel.
hm. That ain't a good picture...
Maybe liike the control centre. That sounds better!

It would have at least one computer, a satellite/landline phone, and all of our documents in nature-proof containers. It would be located near the "entrance" to our land - so anyone coming in reports there. Sound good so far?

guest2859

Quote from: Tonbogiri on March 03, 2011, 05:05:51 PM

Yeah, I like that idea better, but once we get the land, are we leaving it open or fencing it off? I know we just don't want people to 'wander' on.

Tonbogiri

Heh, another issue we haven't discussed. I would imagine the land would already have some sort of fence in place, with an access road (depends on the land we buy) - but one thing we might want to allow would be the movement of animals through said fence, allowing the populations of game within the area to replenish.

Somehow I doubt people will "wander in", but what with us being one with the land and all that, we would know instantly if something were out of place. I really hope we can reach that level of synchronisity...

Eywayä lì'u

Quote from: Tonbogiri on March 04, 2011, 05:15:30 AM
Heh, another issue we haven't discussed. I would imagine the land would already have some sort of fence in place, with an access road (depends on the land we buy) - but one thing we might want to allow would be the movement of animals through said fence, allowing the populations of game within the area to replenish.

Somehow I doubt people will "wander in", but what with us being one with the land and all that, we would know instantly if something were out of place. I really hope we can reach that level of synchronisity...

yeah that would be great. Although with the amount of land we'd need to purchase, I doubt that it would be fenced, especially due to the remote nature we are searching for. Probably just a few posts here and there to signify the boundaries.
Oe prrkxentrrkrr ngeyä sa'nok!

GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tsyal Maktoyu

I like the idea of a tech-house, though, for those who don't want to give up the modern amenities all together. Or if not a tech-house, at least allowing each member to define their own level of tech that they wish to have.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

guest2859

So, we have 6 saying lose it compared to 2 saying keep it. I'm seeing this idea starting to disappear.

Tonbogiri

Good to see you back, Tsyal! Unless you never left, in which case a simple kaltxì will suffice... ;D

Allowing each member to determine their own level of technology has good and bad points. While it is better to allow everyone a free choice, making sure no-one is suffering, it can lead to a very fragmented society - if some are using gas cookers, and others are using traditional fires, for instance.

If we want to be an example to the world, then we need to have a consistent vision. Having half of us use modern camping technology, for instance, may be necessary at the start, so long as we can eventually learn to move away from that and closer to the way of life that inspired us in the first place.

To me, the command centre seems to be the best bet. The idea of a full functional eco-village has now been condensed and focused - which is no bad thing.

Tsyal Maktoyu

No, I never left. Just did a lot of lurking, is all. ;)

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Tonbogiri

Okay, so if we set a deadline for this poll for two days from now (March 7th), then we can allow any counter-arguments to be raised. If the results do not change, then we are currently ruling in favour of removing a fully functional, multi-building eco-village - instead a single building that contains all necessary technology for our "organisation" to stay afloat.