IRC

Started by Key'ìl Nekxetse, September 16, 2010, 10:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I think we should try and organise a way of communicating more directly. LN has an IRC server (I think it's possible to create an extra channel too), which would be an easy way to get some more direct communication going.
I hope being able to talk a bit more normally will help us to get an idea of each other and to be able to work more effectively.

I want to organise getting a few people to test it as soon as possible, I usually have some time from 4PM-6PM BST (3PM-5PM GMT), would it be possible to test it?

If you want to know how to use it, read this: http://forum.learnnavi.org/website-info/instructions-for-using-the-learnnavi-org-internet-relay-chat-(irc)-server/
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Esmond

I'm free at that time, when do you want to meet up?

Help preserve Nature.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I'm on the #Na'vi channel now, so we can try testing it now.
I want to create a channel so we can talk more privately, but I can't get the help interface to work properly.
EDIT: Got it.
~$ life --help

swiräk

I would say, we go into the channel #tribe
Im there the next few hours.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

I'm looking into it, but I don't think it will let me create channels. Still, first step is to get some people on at the same time using the #Na'vi channel.
It's the weekend, so I'm hoping we've all got some time, when can people be on, if we aim for Sunday (use Saturday to get it organised)?

I'm in the UK, so I'm using BST.
I expect to be around from 8 AM to 6 PM.

Don't worry if you can't make it, this is just a first test, although I really want to get at least a few people on, so we can see some progress!

Note: I may try and get hold of people by PM when I see them online. Don't be surprised!
~$ life --help

Predict

This is a sensible suggestion. We have tried this before (twice I think). I think what we got out of it was that it is very useful for socializing but that, given the issue of timezones, it was difficult to organise any large meetings, and somewhat unfair for anyone in the wrong timezone as they are less represented. Definitely worth using otherwise though.

An alternative, that is very easy to use, is Skype. That was what we eventually moved on to last time. Although the forum may move slower I think it is better for any decision making, it is easy to keep issues open for a week or so and allow everyone to contribute. Whereas on IRC it can easy for a few individuals to make decisions and rapid progress, without everyone behind them this can be counter-productive.

Now for getting to know each other this sort of thing works fantastically, although I would recommend Skype as many people will undoubtedly already use it.

Esmond

Okay. To get the ball rolling.

I'm on almost every weeknight from 9pm to 11pm (GMT+8.00).

My Skype ID is CodexHalo. My email address is esbshalo1[at]hotmail[dot]com, I'm on MSN whenever I'm on the computer. You can find me on Facebook by searching EsmondSit.

Hopefully we'll get to know each other more. We don't have to wait till everyone's on, we could just talk to whoever is on.

Edit: Those who do add me please drop me a PM first so I know if any requests are spam or real.

Anyway, looking forward.

Cheers!

Help preserve Nature.

Predict

Excellent, this is exactly the way to do it. Although perhaps this would be better if slightly more secure. Possibly a central distributor for tribe-wide contact details.

My skype ID is...have to check that. ;D It was on my netbook that was stolen.

'Itan Atxur

Sigh. I can't do it. No mic :(

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Predict

Theres always the option to use text on Skype. I know little about IRC.

'Itan Atxur

There'd be no point for me. It'd be like posting here pretty much.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Esmond

When can you get a notebook or something 'Itan?

Help preserve Nature.

Txonari

Well, if the Learn Na'vi irc server doesn't allow you to create new channels, I'd be happy to donate some of my bandwidth and set up irc on my server. (Though I don't have the widest bandwidth, so it'd be limited to the tribe.)
All I want is a single thing worth fighting for.

Esmond

That'd be awesome! You can do that?

Help preserve Nature.

Txonari

Quote from: Esmond on September 26, 2010, 09:35:28 AM
That'd be awesome! You can do that?

Sure! I could have it set up once I get home in about 6 or so hours. And, as long as the total upload speed doesn't go above 1.5 mbps, it should be fine. (It's America, we don't have the best internet speeds..) But it is just text downloading and uploading, and there isn't THAT many of us, so...

Esmond

Lol you could stream videos with that upload speeds.

If you think your country's speeds are bad, wait till you've come to Malaysia.

Help preserve Nature.

Txonari

Lol true. But compared to many other countries that have dsl/cable internet, americas among the slowest. But, its relative I guess.

So it's a good idea then? As I said, I can have it set up tonight.

Esmond

I think its a great idea to have our own channel. Don't know what the others think.

Help preserve Nature.

Txonari

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Good plan. I expect we could get a channel on the LN server if we asked, but so far there doesn't seem to be enough usage to justify it.
~$ life --help