Our Na'vi Tribe (discussion & pre-planning)

Started by Txontaw, January 10, 2010, 10:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikranä mokri

thats what i thought we were signing up for (annual camps that is) but in like quite secluded areas where we could practise archery and stuff like that

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

Hawnu UnilTxep

I believe this thread actually started off as people who were interested in a tribe-like lifestyle, not worried too much right now about the legalities.
It was my understanding that we would live like a family, with Na'vi ideals, but not entirely like the Na'vi.  If we lived as a family, then we would have no real need for a township, considering the fact that less than ten people are seriously into this idea, from my count.

Coyote: I see your points, and if it was just about living a green and clean lifestyle, I would agree that we should take those steps.  I have looked into such communities before [for about 3 years now] and actually gone through plans to go and visit some, but things get in the way.  Like, the fact that they encourage drug use.  Not somewhere I want to be.  I like the IDEA of the communities, if not the communities themselves.

I would like to see some of these camps come summertime.  I would come without any worries at all, and I know a little 'evi who would love it.  I will be putting my info into the meet-up board, thanks for the suggestion.  Great idea.

For those of you still seriously interested in the tribe:  I have an updated list.  Keep up the training :]  

Medics: Unil Txep
Hunters: Twonyu Ikrana, Tawioang, bagget00
Scouts: Twonyu Ikrana, Tawioang, Zalorticus, Coyote
Cooks: Swizaw, bagget00
Weavers:
Seamsters:
Gatherers: Tawioang, bagget00
Firetenders: Swizaw, bagget00, Coyote
Handypeople: Txotaw, bagget00
Fishers: Swizaw, bagget00
Care of Ay'eveng: Txontaw
Musicians: Swizaw

If you want to be added or removed from the list, reply here or message me, or on Live messenger: [email protected]
Keep in mind: this is for the tribe/ tribal meet-ups.  

Irayo ma aytsmuk

Please PM me if you are still interested in the real Na'vi tribe.

Zalorticus

I feel that I could be a good scout, but not much else on the list.
Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Hawnu UnilTxep

If you want me to add something to the list, by all means, ask.  I know I'm bound to be missing a few things. :], but, added.

Coyote

I'd definitely be scout & firetender material, myself. You already have my contact point.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

The old Uriuujìn

I have a feeling that I could be many of the things on this list, some after a little training, and some right off the bat:

Scout- All I'd need to do is perfect my skills of silence, balance, and endurance.
Cook- My dad is a cook, and he's taught me quite a bit ^_^
Gatherer- Just need to know what is and isn't edible ^_^
Fisherman- Patience is a virtue ^_^ one that can be perfected
Musician- It's in my soul, man. Since birth, just ask anyone who knows me even slightly.

Anything that I can do to help, I will. Though it occurs to me that we are missing a Spiritual Guide... a position I would humbly love to have, if the position is right for me.

Eywa ayngahu frakrr, ma tsmuktu.

-Uriuujìn

(P.S. [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected])

swizaw

As for contact info, you can get me for email at [email protected] or on wave (same name thing just @ googlewave.com) :]

Tefpakyu

To be realistic about a long term tribe, it really wouldn't be necessary to completely give up modern comforts like water and electricity; it could be sourced sustainably so you still have a link to the outside world somehow. Even if you decide to hunt for food with bows, it would be an idea to bring a lot of stuff from the outside with you. It could be done, but a lot of planning would be required. A pilot camp for a week or two would prepare you for what it will be like long term. I wish you good luck with planning, just remember that there is a reason humans have sought so hard to get out of that lifestyle. A few modern technologies could allow you to live in that way without fear of dangers that face you.
-Tefpakyu-

Coyote

And, in a slightly unrelated note, I say... karma to Txontaw for having made one of the longest lasting and involving threads in the brief history of the board;D
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

swizaw

I want to live like this (even if only for a short time) to reconnect with the planet, and "feel" it (not sure if feel is the right word, can't think of another). Also, we shouldn't cut off outside contact. Remember, the Na'vi are about balance, and on this planet technology is part of this balance. It also makes it safer for us.

Quote from: Tefpakyu on January 13, 2010, 04:39:33 PM
To be realistic about a long term tribe, it really wouldn't be necessary to completely give up modern comforts like water and electricity; it could be sourced sustainably so you still have a link to the outside world somehow. Even if you decide to hunt for food with bows, it would be an idea to bring a lot of stuff from the outside with you. It could be done, but a lot of planning would be required. A pilot camp for a week or two would prepare you for what it will be like long term. I wish you good luck with planning, just remember that there is a reason humans have sought so hard to get out of that lifestyle. A few modern technologies could allow you to live in that way without fear of dangers that face you.

When I read this, my first thought was of the avatar training they (well, Norm and the other avatars besides Jake) went through before going to Pandora :]

Tefpakyu

-Tefpakyu-

Txontaw

Thanks, Coyote! :) Karma to you for having an epic signature.

I updated the list in front from Unil Txep.

If you are serious about this, start socking away some of your money to save for a possible plane ticket or something. We should find a good spot, far away enough from other people so that we don't have to hear freeway sounds all day, but close enough that if an emergency happened, we could easily drive the injured (or whatever) person out of the forest.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Teio

I'm happy this thread has received so much positive attention.

Since we are sorting into skill groups...
I have shot a bow (recurve) since I was 7...still can, but I need to get my arm strength back up.
Similarly, I have also hunted from a young age and can fish as well...of course, that includes cleaning the animals.
I can sew, embroider and weave. I own my own loom.
Combining those skills, I am alright with basic leather craft...I can sew, stamp (imprint with a design) and dye leather.
I can also play the flute and am involved in interpretive dance, although I'm fairly certain that neither of those are survival skills.
As for religious background...I was raised in a Christian household, but resorted to Atheism at a young age. I am currently studying Buddhist Sutras, although I define myself as a Modern Humanist. The Gaia Theory is of great interest to me.

Sorry if that all was a bit dry, I'm just deathly afraid of embarrassing myself. :p

[email protected]

Mako

ARGH! WANT TO DO THIS SOO BAD!!!! (Yes, caps was necessary.)

Txontaw

Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 13, 2010, 08:16:50 PM

YES! SOMETIMES CAPS ARE NECESSARY (THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE TIMES).
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

I nominate myself for position of Tribe Badass.
"And that's how you scatter the roaches."- Col. Miles Quaritch.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Hawnuyu atìtse'a on January 13, 2010, 08:58:46 PM
I nominate myself for position of Tribe Badass.

I'm sure you do. Just for that you get to clean the port-a-potties.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Hawnu UnilTxep

Quote from: Txontaw on January 13, 2010, 08:32:48 PM
Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 13, 2010, 08:16:50 PM

YES! SOMETIMES CAPS ARE NECESSARY (THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE TIMES).

lol.
Sänumeyu: Please come and join us.  You know I want you to.  And you know you want to!!! :D PLEASE!

Txontaw:thanks! I'm gonna add all of the people that posted since my class-- or I guess you get to do it now ;] Heehee.  Keep up with it.

And thank you all for still expressing so much enthusiasm for this! It makes oe so happy :D

Teio

As the summer approaches, we need to plan these camping gatherings. Locations?
I'll be honest...I don't live anywhere near ANYONE. Alaska. So I'm just kinda watching this one from the sidelines. :p
I intend to do some solitary long term camping...when the snow melts. (There'll be snow until mid-april)
Still, I would love to be a part of this, and if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

I do not think there is a large enough interested group to arrange a camp in Alaska. If there are any Alaskans interested, please let me know. I would love to organize something, and perhaps demonstrate basic skills like fire starting, finding drinkable water, catching+gutting fish, identifying edible plants, etc.

Txontaw

Quote from: Teio on January 13, 2010, 11:28:57 PM
As the summer approaches, we need to plan these camping gatherings. Locations?
I'll be honest...I don't live anywhere near ANYONE. Alaska. So I'm just kinda watching this one from the sidelines. :p
I intend to do some solitary long term camping...when the snow melts.
Still, I would love to be a part of this, and if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Well, you have plenty of time to figure out a way to get off the sidelines, since our first camping trip won't happen until 4 years from now, ~after the last movie comes out. This is to let the younger members of this site (including myself) turn 18, so that they can actually attend w/out having to convince their parents. So, like I said in a previous post, start saving up a bit of money at a time so that when 2014 comes, you have enough saved to fly out to wherever we're going (and back).