Our Na'vi Tribe (discussion & pre-planning)

Started by Txontaw, January 10, 2010, 10:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Txontaw on January 13, 2010, 11:34:15 PM
Quote from: Teio on January 13, 2010, 11:28:57 PM
As the summer approaches, we need to plan these camping gatherings. Locations?
I'll be honest...I don't live anywhere near ANYONE. Alaska. So I'm just kinda watching this one from the sidelines. :p
I intend to do some solitary long term camping...when the snow melts.
Still, I would love to be a part of this, and if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Well, you have plenty of time to figure out a way to get off the sidelines, since our first camping trip won't happen until 4 years from now, ~after the last movie comes out. This is to let the younger members of this site (including myself) turn 18, so that they can actually attend w/out having to convince their parents. So, like I said in a previous post, start saving up a bit of money at a time so that when 2014 comes, you have enough saved to fly out to wherever we're going (and back).

I still want to come, it just sucks that the world ends 2 years before our trip. *sigh* :(
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Teio

Awesome...if the camps work out, is the group leaning toward a permanent settlement somewhere in North America, or in a more tropical region? I know a lot is uncertain at this point, but still...

bagget00

I believe it was something more along the lines of a permanent thing if the camps worked out.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Teio

Quote from: bagget00 on January 13, 2010, 11:37:31 PM
I believe it was something more along the lines of a permanent thing if the camps worked out.

I know this, but there will eventually need to be consensus on the location, no? So much is uncertain at this point that I know it is unreasonable to expect a decisive answer...I am just curious :)

Txontaw

Quote from: Teio on January 13, 2010, 11:39:17 PM
Quote from: bagget00 on January 13, 2010, 11:37:31 PM

I know this, but there will eventually need to be consensus on the location, no? SO much is uncertain at this point that I know it is unreasonable to expect a decisive answer...I am just curious :)

We kind of want a tropical area, since it's warmer longer, and usually tropical forests are more dense with animals and plants.

This is all if we even decide to set up a permanent camp in the first place.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

bagget00

Yeah, first we do trials, after a bit of planning to get what we want out of this down pat and to also get people who want to go. After the trials, we decide on a place to stay and go there for an indeterminate eriod of time. No one is forced to stay so they can leave whenever, but it's not like we are planning to forever disappear into the wilds. This could be something like a sabatical. Something to get away for a while and live how we want ( supposedly clean and green,) and toss off the rigors modern society. We will most likly still have electricity so we can watch Avatar/Avatars, and so that we can go online to post here on LearnNavi.org.
Does that sound about right or am Oe way off base?
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

Teio

I find that, should permanent settlements be made, eco-villages are good models for our plan.

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: bagget00 on January 13, 2010, 11:47:54 PM
Yeah, first we do trials, after a bit of planning to get what we want out of this down pat and to also get people who want to go. After the trials, we decide on a place to stay and go there for an indeterminate eriod of time. No one is forced to stay so they can leave whenever, but it's not like we are planning to forever disappear into the wilds. This could be something like a sabatical. Something to get away for a while and live how we want ( supposedly clean and green,) and toss off the rigors modern society. We will most likly still have electricity so we can watch Avatar/Avatars, and so that we can go online to post here on LearnNavi.org.
Does that sound about right or am Oe way off base?

I like this idea. I was saddened because I thought that I may have to not participate due to... relationship barriers... but if we can come and go as we please, that makes it doable for me ^_^ As to what is going to be chosen... I argue that we should have a "Na'vi spiritual leader" of sorts, a position which I would be quite happy to fill, should you all choose to have me ^_^

Quote from: Teio on January 13, 2010, 11:51:40 PM
I find that, should permanent settlements be made, eco-villages are good models for our plan.

Agreed.

Eywa ayoenghu frakrr!

-Uriuujìn

Txontaw

If a permanent spot can be found, perhaps we can buy a small area of the forest, and build sort of a main cabin-type area with just the essentials; electricity, water, etc.

Then we can have an annual get together for a couple of weeks to a month where we have an epic Avatar marathon (of course), hunt, practice fighting, hold competitions, etc. etc. We'll have a computer with satellite wi-fi so that we can post a video journal of the experience here.

It'll be like Na'vi summer camp or something, but with not lame arts and crafts. :P
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Teio

Ah! When I was in Australia, my student group spent time with an aboriginal group and learned to use spear-throwers...so much fun! Sorry...I guess that was kind of off-topic O.o

bagget00

Quote from: Txontaw on January 14, 2010, 12:05:34 AM
It'll be like Na'vi summer camp or something, but with not lame arts and crafts. :P

Yeah, only cool arts and crafts!  :P

Teio

Quote from: bagget00 on January 14, 2010, 12:19:01 AM
Quote from: Txontaw on January 14, 2010, 12:05:34 AM

Yeah, only cool arts and crafts!  :P

Haha, yes. On that note, I can weave, haha. But I can't spin, so that's pretty much useless :p

Coyote

The Meet-Up section of the board at the top now has a "Conventions" forum added to them. That and the meet-ups subdivided by continent would be a good place to plot & plan camps.

So, this summer will be Tribal Camp 001, for want of a better title.... let's make it happen.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Tefpakyu

I would be up for a camp, but in a few years to give me time to get to 18!
-Tefpakyu-

Coyote

Well, for now then, those of us who can self-propel without needing to jump through parental permission hoops can start laying the groundwork for future expansion by the "kids" that will grow into it.

There'll also be more expansion, demographically, as more movies/merchandise are released.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Txontaw

It would be great if I could participate in the grand opening of the Na'vi camp (since it's pretty much my idea), but if the older people want to start planning for this summer, I guess I can't stop them. :/ Oh well.

I require you to give a detailed report of your experience, though, so I can see all the fun I'm missing.

bagget00

well if it were to be in the summer, why couldn't you go?

Coyote

How much time before you can participate?

This will probably actually be a sort of "pre-camp" to test whether the validity of the idea will even work in the first place, or if it falls apart under competing schedules and demands. While we may not have parental permission to work around, we do have tyrannical work schedules under unforgiving bosses ("Build that pyramid! Pharoah ain't getting any younger!") and the lash of various other obligations.

For example, I know I have a looming appointment with Uncle Sam sometime during the summer months, and it is just my luck that these things will end up coinciding.  :(

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

bagget00

so, if we bought an island as someone else was talking about, could we become a sovreign nation?

Txontaw

Quote from: bagget00 on January 14, 2010, 12:23:45 PM
well if it were to be in the summer, why couldn't you go?

I can imagine the conversation now:

Parents: So, where did you say you were going?

Me: I'm going to a camp for people who are obsessed with Na'vi. I haven't met any of them in person, but I'm pretty sure they're ok. so, can I go, please?

Parents:...

Me: Please?

Parents:...

Me: It's also probably out of the country. Can you spare some money for an airplane ticket too?

Parents:...you're grounded from the internet for life.