Our Na'vi Tribe (discussion & pre-planning)

Started by Txontaw, January 10, 2010, 10:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagget00

"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Txontaw

Quote from: bagget00 on January 14, 2010, 12:42:44 PM
txontaw, where do you live?

It's in the Meetup forum, but I live in Southern CA
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Afr0

Sorry to have to be the naysayer here, but I feel as though this needs to be pointed out.
The implications of what is being proposed in this thread are massive.

250,000 USD?
Ok, say that four or more people get together and buy this land. How would people join the tribe after the fact? Would they work and become 'slaves' until they've paid their way in?
To be perfectly honest, I think the idea of starting a tribe based on a miniature venture capitalism adventure is a bad idea. Money leads to greed, greed leads to suffering. If there is one thing you do not want in a tribe of this kind, it is greed.
Alot (at least some) people who have participated in this discussion are under the age of 18 and relatively unable to get money of their own. If we assume people not living in the US will spend all their time away from school earning money until they become 18, that's still only about enough for the planeticket, depending on what kind of part-time job they are able to get and where they live.
Then they'll have to spend an additional x number of years earning money to buy their way into the tribe.
And that's not even mentioning the fact that immigration into the US is becoming harder every year. AFAIK, you need a greencard just to stay legally within bounds of the country, and the easiest way to get a greencard is to get invited to work by a corporation or to participate in a greencard lottery.
I've been thinking about maybe moving to the US myself, and even for people in my country (Norway) it is damn hard. I can't imagine how hard it must be for people from, say, eastern Europe.
You could argue that you could work a regular job while living in the tribe, but then you'd still need a greencard to stay in the country, most likely a specialized work permit, and you'd have to travel to Washington every x number of months to visit your country's embassy.
And as for trying to cultivate a new generation within the tribe, it's not gonna be long before half-sisters will start having sex with their cousins. Unless you get the tribe as large as the Omaticaya, which... would require alot of people (I think the Omaticaya were about 200 individuals roughly).

Coyote

Well, I think this will be done by regional groups first, before people feel ready to spring for airplane tickets. I think it is safe to say that most of us live close to enough other Pandorans to make regional meets worthwhile and fun.

Besides, you want to start small anyways.

There's a enough people in the Pacific Northwest to form a tribe; I'm sure California by itself --hell, just North & South seperately-- has enough people for booming tribal camps on their own (or meet in some mid-section like that funky garlic town along I-5). Unless you want to spring for Yosemite.

What's the garlic town? I havn't driven by since 2006. Gorman? I remember it was the same name as the  Lieutenant in Aliens. Maybe Gorman is that little asstown in the Grapevine. I don't remember. But the garlic town would be about in the middle, and there wouldn't be any of those Twilight crazies there 'cause it's, well, it's a whole town devoted to garlic.

Santa Cruz is a nicer location, but I went there one time and it was downright scary. It was full of wierdos. I was with my girlfriend and we were an inter-racial couple and people gave us all kids of wierdness. Stares, commets, it was crazy. And we'd been visiting my parents in Idaho for weeks before that and everyone was super nice. Total opposite of the stereotypes.

Anyhow, the point is, find a place that's cool and most importantly, nearby. Have you ever been to a Convention, like SiliCon, GenCon, or SDCC, Txontaw?

EDIT: Afr0, you're addressing the super-long-term theoretical stuff that's already been shelved. Keep going, the knot unravels.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

bagget00

Who said anything about 250k dollars? I was just making a joke off the island thing. I doubt we would do that unless someone inherited money or the land. Which would be great. But probably not gonna happen. I say, if we meet in the middle and go from there for the Cali peoples, we should try to find a place with a campsite at least. too bad the middle is mostly the valley.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

Afr0

Quote from: Teio on January 11, 2010, 12:39:01 AM
It will most likely not be possible to just take up residence on government owned land (which is basically every bit of land anywhere that isn't private property) and not expect repercussions.

(...)

Then, let's say you'd spend about 250,000 USD on UNDEVELOPED land that would suit the tribe's needs. There are, in fact, very remote off-the-grid areas of land as cheap as this and as large as 160 hectares. Keep in mind these properties have no plumping, no electricity and no man-made clearings. Perfect, in my opinion.

bagget00

Txontaw

I think it would be cool if you can drop into the camp any time you want. Someone (or several people) can live in the main cabin thing, so that they will be there if anyone gets the urge to escape from society for a while.

I totally volunteer for that. Especially if my job is like a digital artist, in which case I pretty much never have to actually talk to people.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

bagget00

right, like Oe stated at some point. A Sabatacle.

Reav

Well.
This is interesting.

The idea though seems a bit far fetched considering alot of the people interested are still in school and most probably not mature enough to even start thinking of such a life changing decision for the long term.

The idea of yearly gatherings sounds more down to earth though.

tsmukan ftu Eywa

Quote from: Afr0 on January 14, 2010, 01:22:00 PM
Sorry to have to be the naysayer here, but I feel as though this needs to be pointed out.
The implications of what is being proposed in this thread are massive.

250,000 USD?
Ok, say that four or more people get together and buy this land. How would people join the tribe after the fact? Would they work and become 'slaves' until they've paid their way in?
To be perfectly honest, I think the idea of starting a tribe based on a miniature venture capitalism adventure is a bad idea. Money leads to greed, greed leads to suffering. If there is one thing you do not want in a tribe of this kind, it is greed.
Alot (at least some) people who have participated in this discussion are under the age of 18 and relatively unable to get money of their own. If we assume people not living in the US will spend all their time away from school earning money until they become 18, that's still only about enough for the planeticket, depending on what kind of part-time job they are able to get and where they live.
Then they'll have to spend an additional x number of years earning money to buy their way into the tribe.
And that's not even mentioning the fact that immigration into the US is becoming harder every year. AFAIK, you need a greencard just to stay legally within bounds of the country, and the easiest way to get a greencard is to get invited to work by a corporation or to participate in a greencard lottery.
I've been thinking about maybe moving to the US myself, and even for people in my country (Norway) it is damn hard. I can't imagine how hard it must be for people from, say, eastern Europe.
You could argue that you could work a regular job while living in the tribe, but then you'd still need a greencard to stay in the country, most likely a specialized work permit, and you'd have to travel to Washington every x number of months to visit your country's embassy.
And as for trying to cultivate a new generation within the tribe, it's not gonna be long before half-sisters will start having sex with their cousins. Unless you get the tribe as large as the Omaticaya, which... would require alot of people (I think the Omaticaya were about 200 individuals roughly).
Ok, look don't down the idea. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot but I don't think you should just trow out the idea. there is plenty of government funded Indian land IN the US. and the way the US is looking there going need a way to pay it all off. This could be a good exercise for "a few college kids" to live for a short while in these lands. if it stays up longer than a year people could get tickets to stay in our "tribe" and live like we would for a few days thin go back home to tell mommy and daddy about it. we could raise funds that way, and if it's enjoyable than press will catch on. After we catch some attraction from the pop., we can move to a largely undeveloped nation and take up camp... xD yes I put much thought into this. I actually planed to set gears in motion to start my own country
NEYTIRI
      I am with you now, Jake. We are mated for
      life.

JAKE
      We are?

NEYTIRI
      Yes. It is our way.
         (innocently)
      Oh. I forgot to tell?

Afr0

Quotethere is plenty of government funded Indian land IN the US.

Don't you need special... permission to live there or something? There's a reason it's Indian land. If everyone could settle down there, it'd probably be chock full of Wal Marts already. Or at least some 'civilized' housing.

QuoteI actually planed to set gears in motion to start my own country

I don't mean to sound offensive, but that statement;

- Makes you sound hungry for power (like you want to be a dictator or similar).
- Is a really bad idea, because it's extremely unpractical. Not 'unrealistic' per say, just very unpractical.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Afr0 on January 14, 2010, 04:36:17 PM
Don't you need special... permission to live there or something? There's a reason it's Indian land. If everyone could settle down there, it'd probably be chock full of Wal Marts already. Or at least some 'civilized' housing.

The politically correct term is Injun... errr Native American. XD
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Mako

Right. Get to start endurance training Tuesday.

Coyote

Oh, dude, that's actually a racist term, and there's Native Americans here to watch you make a tubesteak of yourself.  :o

Let's not mess up a good thread; we technically have some potential mileage left on this one.  ;)

And, yes, to live on Tribal land you need to prove some sort of conneciton with the tribe.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Coyote on January 14, 2010, 04:41:50 PM
Oh, dude, that's actually a racist term, and there's Native Americans here to watch you make a tubesteak of yourself.  :o

Let's not mess up a good thread; we technically have some potential mileage left on this one.  ;)

And, yes, to live on Tribal land you need to prove some sort of conneciton with the tribe.

Does aunt's uncle's brother's grandson twice removed count?

tsmukan ftu Eywa

You can also visit the natives... become one of them, just in a manner of speaking. but I'm certain that the government would be happy to help college kids find the true side of nature. I used Indians as an example lol but yea... still in the works. the whom ever said I sounded power hungry I didn't mean to come across like that. just that It's possible when many people put there brains into it.
any more questions?
NEYTIRI
      I am with you now, Jake. We are mated for
      life.

JAKE
      We are?

NEYTIRI
      Yes. It is our way.
         (innocently)
      Oh. I forgot to tell?

Coyote

Quote from: Nìwotkrr Tsahameylu on January 14, 2010, 04:43:58 PM

Easier to just marry up a cute Native American gal.  ;)

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Coyote on January 14, 2010, 04:59:20 PM
Quote from: Nìwotkrr Tsahameylu on January 14, 2010, 04:43:58 PM

Easier to just marry up a cute Native American gal.  ;)

Only if she's blue and her name is Neytiri.  :D

Mako