Our Na'vi Tribe (discussion & pre-planning)

Started by Txontaw, January 10, 2010, 10:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawnu UnilTxep

The one thing with me, Omega, is that her father and I don't get along very well.  I mean as friends yeah, but he's a real douche most of the time.  Why we're not dating or married or whatever.  We're much better as friends, because we have to be.  So, he might object to having her out there for more than a week or two, but in all reality, I'm her one and only guardian, so.  Ha. Oh well.
I have a question: Are we going to do a true home-schooling program, or are we going to send them off to school, or just teach them in our own way?  If we send them to school [if we're close enough to a town] then they might get teased.  Er... also, clothes.  We would have to have some money for school clothes.  So I opt for home-schooling.  At least while the ay'evi are visiting or whatever.  Just thought of this. :]  I know its far-fetched right now, just wondering.

Please PM me if you are still interested in the real Na'vi tribe.

Toiyari Angkran

Quote from: Txontaw on January 16, 2010, 02:45:36 PM
Quote from: Toiyari Angkran on January 16, 2010, 02:45:02 PM
If children can sleep at the camp then maybe the hammocks should be inside or something. :-/

The hammocks are inside...
In the original camp idea weren't the hammocks in the trees? because.. yeah.. just look at the map.
"Eywari oe lu 'eveng. Fì'u Eywayä kelku lu, ulte fì'u sevin lu."   --   Toìyarì Angkran

Toiyari Angkran

Quote from: Unil Txep on January 16, 2010, 02:45:58 PM
The one thing with me, Omega, is that her father and I don't get along very well.  I mean as friends yeah, but he's a real douche most of the time.  Why we're not dating or married or whatever.  We're much better as friends, because we have to be.  So, he might object to having her out there for more than a week or two, but in all reality, I'm her one and only guardian, so.  Ha. Oh well.
I have a question: Are we going to do a true home-schooling program, or are we going to send them off to school, or just teach them in our own way?  If we send them to school [if we're close enough to a town] then they might get teased.  Er... also, clothes.  We would have to have some money for school clothes.  So I opt for home-schooling.  At least while the ay'evi are visiting or whatever.  Just thought of this. :]  I know its far-fetched right now, just wondering.
That is a very good idea. Maybe a niNa'vi class, archery class, gym class (PE.)

The gym class is just a break class basicly. Maybe it can be were we play Na'vi games. (There are actually no referals to any Na'vi games but I'm sure we can create them :))
"Eywari oe lu 'eveng. Fì'u Eywayä kelku lu, ulte fì'u sevin lu."   --   Toìyarì Angkran

swizaw

The problem with sattelite wi-fi is that you often need a sattelite dish for it, and installing one is about 5 million dollars... and we don't have that kind of money. Perhaps we could settle near a place with internet. Or at least decent cell service, smartphones ftw.

Hawnu UnilTxep

Quote from: Toiyari Angkran on January 16, 2010, 02:50:45 PM

The gym class is just a break class basicly. Maybe it can be were we play Na'vi games. (There are actually no referals to any Na'vi games but I'm sure we can create them :))

Yes but I also want to teach them stuff they can use in the real world, should they choose to leave the tribe.
Math, human history, English... sure they will know a lot about science, at least biology, but we should teach them this as well.  I think it'll be good for them, and us.  Haha.  Keep up with our own schooling ;]
We should at least teach them some basics, nothing like college-leveled. :] But def agree about Na'vi class, gym, weapons.

Please PM me if you are still interested in the real Na'vi tribe.

Txontaw

Well, we are aiming toward a camp, so everyone's going to be there for only a maximum of two-three weeks during the summer.

But if we do a permanent thing, definitely homeschooling.

Quote from: swizaw on January 16, 2010, 02:57:07 PM
The problem with sattelite wi-fi is that you often need a sattelite dish for it, and installing one is about 5 million dollars... and we don't have that kind of money. Perhaps we could settle near a place with internet. Or at least decent cell service, smartphones ftw.

Installing a satellite dish is no where near that expensive. We have one, and it was only a couple hundred dollars, plus about 60 for the service of TV.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Toiyari Angkran

Quote from: Unil Txep on January 16, 2010, 02:59:16 PM

Yes but I also want to teach them stuff they can use in the real world, should they choose to leave the tribe.
Math, human history, English... sure they will know a lot about science, at least biology, but we should teach them this as well.  I think it'll be good for them, and us.  Haha.  Keep up with our own schooling ;]
We should at least teach them some basics, nothing like college-leveled. :] But def agree about Na'vi class, gym, weapons.
And maybe musical instruments. They don't reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally have to be Na'vi based because yeah :)

alantower

Sorry to post this again but I couldnt find it in the thread.
How about the idea of creating a Na'Vi theme camp for next years or 2011 Burning Man?
alantower

Txontaw

Quote from: alantower on January 16, 2010, 03:22:17 PM
Sorry to post this again but I couldnt find it in the thread.
How about the idea of creating a Na'Vi theme camp for next years or 2011 Burning Man?
alantower

Here's my response:

Quote from: Txontaw on January 16, 2010, 12:45:34 PM
Quote from: Arantele on January 16, 2010, 12:43:10 PM
Quote from: alantower on January 16, 2010, 12:33:32 PM
How about a Na'vi tribe camp at Burning Man this Sept 2010?
Costumes could be Na'vi and it would take some work for folks to all get together to create something.
or do a reconaissance trip as a group this year in prep for a camp next year.
alantower

Thats actually an amazing idea.. I've been to burning man for the past 2 years, and didn't really have any reason to go back this year... but if this happens we could totally make it a theme camp... but to get a camp spot for the burn this year we'd need to decide on something quite quickly and try and get approval on a theme camp..

Kehe. I don't really like going to those places, and we're not trying to go to burning man anyway. If you're interested in going to a convention, start a convention topic in the Meetup forums.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

OmegaQ1

Quote from: Unil Txep on January 16, 2010, 02:59:16 PM

well im not sure about the home schooling thing. this is because its really like Txontaw said, it would only be 2 to 2 1/2 weeks that we'd be there in the summer. if thats the only time kids that are in school would be coming there then why have that. if parents bring their kids there or let them go there themselves then they would have to work it out with the kids school or make an excuse or something. unless of coarse someone decides to like make a family or something at or near the camp then thats something else, and if its home schooling a licensed homeschooling teacher would have to be hired or a parent would have to get permision to homeschool their child themselves but they would have to take tests and stuff so they can pass on the info to thier kid.
It's my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. -Colonel Quaritch

Tawioang

This kinda takes the feeling of a tribe away from me atleast. And about education, I think that the experienced of the tribe should teach things like survival, hunting, cooking etc

Txontaw

Quote from: Tawioang on January 16, 2010, 03:49:20 PM

This kinda takes the feeling of a tribe away from me atleast. And about education, I think that the experienced of the tribe should teach things like survival, hunting, cooking etc

Well, having internet and (perhaps) a TV would be to post video logs here and have an epic Avatar marathon, respectively.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I think that getting rid of all technology would be a bad idea. It's kind of like saying "hey forefathers skrew you", and I don't feel like saying that.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

swizaw

Quote from: Txontaw on January 16, 2010, 03:56:26 PM
Quote from: Tawioang on January 16, 2010, 03:49:20 PM

Well, having internet and (perhaps) a TV would be to post video logs here and have an epic Avatar marathon, respectively.
It would be good to have internet and maybe TV to both broadcast about the tribe, and also stay connected in this here Information Age. Also, regular education would be good because not all of us ae going to be residents year round year to year. most of us will leave and come back at various points, and having an education would help.

Txon Taronyu

I dont think alot of tecnology would be good because if we say well if we can have a radio well why not a computor and then why not a tv and why not a car so it would take the point out of this
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Txontaw

Quote from: palulukan makto on January 16, 2010, 04:17:17 PM
I dont think alot of tecnology would be good because if we say well if we can have a radio well why not a computor and then why not a tv and why not a car so it would take the point out of this

Why would we do that? And we'd need some sort of parking lot, even if it's not close to the camp, because how else are people going to get there? Walk?

And besides, all we've said we need is a satellite wi-fi computer and a TV, both for a reason. Why would we need a radio, anyway?

You're being paranoid.

Txon Taronyu

ok so I over stated my point
but im just saying if we allow technology it would slightly take the whole point out of the 'going back to nature and living simpily thing' becouse we would not really be that different then 
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Txontaw

Quote from: palulukan makto on January 16, 2010, 04:26:08 PM
ok so I over stated my point
but im just saying if we allow technology it would slightly take the whole point out of the 'going back to nature and living simpily thing' becouse we would not really be that different then 

Not...really. I was thinking of setting up a windmill, or a stationary bicycle. That would supply all of our power. You're still being paranoid. Being one with nature does not mean you have to push away all technology.If we pushed away modern medicine, what would we do if someone got seriously injured?

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Txontaw