Our Na'vi Tribe (discussion & pre-planning)

Started by Txontaw, January 10, 2010, 10:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamon5550

Once the camp is built and the taxes have been dealt with, the actual cost of running the camp will be quite small. I'll look into it and perhaps create an estimate of the costs involved.
Kìyevame ulte Eywa ngahu.

join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Chloe

Quote from: Txontaw on January 10, 2010, 10:03:03 PM
EDIT: The plans have changed a bit. We are no longer really looking at creating a tribe and moving away from civilization. Now we ate planning on holding an annual Na'vi get-together, comparable to a camping trip.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but for those on the East coast, it might be worth your while to check out a place called Four Quarters. It's located in Artemas, Pennsylvania, and it's a kind of New Age camp/retreat place. It's really beautiful there, with a stone and fire circle, heavily wooded, and has sweat lodges streams and ponds to swim in. Here's the link to the website:

http://www.4qf.org/

Now don't be put off by the religious aspect, because it's a really lovely place. c: I've been there once for a Beltaine event and a couple times without an event. It might be worth checking out to compare and see how this Na'vi tribe's location could function...or whatever needs to be considered.

EDIT: That being said, I totally wouldn't mind living like the Na'vi with all of you peeps for a year or so, after I get my Bachelor's from college. Then I have a year in between college degrees to explore - and what better way to do that than with a Na'vi tribe? :D So if ever the moving-away-and-starting-a-Na'vi-tribe thing works out on some tropical location (for example), I would absolutely be in.

OmegaQ1

i just looked at the site and either there was a link to it and i wasnt looking that well or they didnt have many pics of the land and stuff like that. it would be helpful to see what the land really looks like and not the buildings that they have since were not planing on living in the buildings,were planin on living out in the forrest in hammocks away from all that stuff.
It's my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. -Colonel Quaritch

The old Uriuujìn

Kaltxì frapo!

I think that we are getting a little out of control when talking about the technology deal. To illustrate my point, let me tell you something about the Na'vi. Bear with me a moment: the main philosophies of the Na'vi are balance and interconnectedness.

Balance would be best served in this aspect by having a bit of the necessary technological advances, such as the television, some refrigeration system, the internet, and medicine. I know that people will hate on me for saying that a refrigeration system is not necessary, but think about it this way- if we don't have an efficient and reliable means of food storage, we would all get sick from food poisoning. Medicine would be extremely necessary, and as was mentioned earlier, what is an Avatar themed tribe without the Avatar film(s)?

In terms of interconnectedness, I know that the Na'vi would love the internet. Think about it- all of these ideas, thoughts, emotions, and messages being sent to everything that is interconnected. Everything is tied together and linked, sharing with all of the world. The Na'vi would think of the internet as another (if less personal) planetary network. It wouldn't be Eywa, because she is an actual being in her own right, but almost!

As for education: I believe that the Na'vi culture, and language, should be tought at the camp, even in it's beginning stages. Isn't that the reason that we have decided to gather togather and undertake this great task? If- I should say when- this tribe becomes more permanent, then homeschooling is the way to go. I want to re-emphasize the importance that we continue teaching the language and culture, though.

Eywa ayngahu, ma oeyä aytsmuke sì aytsmukan

-Uriuujìn

Chloe

Quote from: OmegaQ1 on January 16, 2010, 07:52:43 PM
i just looked at the site and either there was a link to it and i wasnt looking that well or they didnt have many pics of the land and stuff like that. it would be helpful to see what the land really looks like and not the buildings that they have since were not planing on living in the buildings,were planin on living out in the forrest in hammocks away from all that stuff.

Aha! Well then, if you'd like pictures, here's a link to my deviantArt account (name: Irathray). I've taken lots of pictures from my time there, but these are only a few of them. Feel free to browse there:

http://irathray.deviantart.com/

Here's really where to begin, on page 2 of my photograph folder. :D

http://irathray.deviantart.com/gallery/#Photographs--2

And everyone camps out in tents there, although I'm sure when it gets to be summer and warm, there are people who sleep out in the open.

Txontaw

Seems a bit over the top to me. But it may help for ideas for layout or something.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

if you want a tribal experience its gonna be more over the top than that ma Txontaw.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Txontaw

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tsahameylu on January 16, 2010, 09:53:06 PM
if you want a tribal experience its gonna be more over the top than that ma Txontaw.

I'm not talking about the tribal experience, I'm talking about the religion.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Txontaw on January 16, 2010, 09:53:55 PM
Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tsahameylu on January 16, 2010, 09:53:06 PM

I'm not talking about the tribal experience, I'm talking about the religion.

Amen (rofl). I would prefer a less... established... religious undertone, personally. I'd rather not have the Na'vi part of this have to contend with the preconceptions of a few people that are intolerant of people like us. I am NOT saying that all religious people are intolerant!!! But I am saying that there is a possibility that some people may not accept what we are doing. I would prefer somewhere a bit more out-of-the-way, and a little more private. That is my opinion anyway.

Plus, I wouldn't like to be burned at the stake for my heathen teachings XD only joking... mostly.

Eywa ayngahu, ma oeyä aytsmuke sì aytsmukan.

-Uriuujìn

Txontaw

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tsahameylu on January 16, 2010, 09:55:40 PM
well then that makes more sense

No, a tribal experience I'm totally prepared for. It's the weird people (not weird people (cause I'm one of those people), the weird weird people that you seriously consider slowly backing away from).

Chloe

Quote from: Txontaw on January 16, 2010, 09:51:58 PM
Seems a bit over the top to me. But it may help for ideas for layout or something.

Oh, well that was to celebrate Beltaine, so yeah, it was a bit over-the-top. But that was a big celebration; when it's not a big event, it's just left so the only decorations are of nature's giving. No giant maypoles or anything, just the natural world around (although I believe the maypole is left up until the next time the people go a-maying.)

OmegaQ1

It's my job to keep you alive. I will not succeed. -Colonel Quaritch

The old Uriuujìn

Two things:

Firstly, I need to ask how much is everyone willing to pitch in to help with this. I don't just mean moneywise, either. How much work are you all willing to put in to build everything, make sure everything is stable, workable, and clean? I don't want to be the raincloud, but I do not believe myself mistaken when I say that there will be chores that need doing and work to be done if this is to be successful. Things like building the cabin and tree-houses will be extremely necessary for us if this is to last as long as I hope it will. I personally will not shirk anything that I need to do, but I want to make sure that everyone else is on board in that regard.

With that said, there is the second thing that needs to be brought to our attention- Leadership.
Quote from: Uriuujìn on January 14, 2010, 10:50:43 PM
However, Unil and I have stumbled across a bit of a problem: We need an Eyktan. Someone who can lead us. I do not think that I have the right skills to lead everyone, and she isn't interested. So we need an Eyktan.

I suggest that the best course of action is to see exactly who wants to be in or out of the Tribe, and then have people volunteer, and give us their statements. Then we vote. You should be able to join the tribe, even if you are unsure that you would be able to actually be there. Just the desire to be one with our tribe, with Nature herself, should be the requirement for membership.

Remember this? We have had no one besides Txontaw become a candidate for the position of Eyktan. I am of the opinion that we should wait three more days for more nominations, then vote at the end of that time. I will post a thread in this board then with a poll for voting at that time, unless no one else steps forward. Not saying that Txontaw wouldn't be a good leader, but that I think we should make sure that everyone has the chance to make themselves heard ^_^

-Uriuujìn

Txontaw

It might be better to put off choosing an actual Eyktan until we meet.

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Txontaw on January 16, 2010, 10:54:43 PM

...perhaps, though it would make coordinating preparation efforts much easier.

Eywa ayngahu, ma aytsmuktu.

-Uriuujìn

Chloe

Quote from: Txontaw on January 16, 2010, 10:54:43 PM

I concur. How are we to really know a person until all is met face-to-face? Especially when it comes with something as powerful as being an Eyktan. Maybe have a few people have leadership duties to combine as a group, and then once we all can meet up, decide who's to be the Eyktan.

As far as work, I would gladly devote my time to helping out any way I can, but college comes first for me. That's about four years from here...then I'd assume I have a year off to really go out into the world. So I would use that time to help the tribal grounds.

Txontaw

Notice I said actual Eyktan. Go ahead and choose one, but don't consider it permanent until we meet.

The old Uriuujìn

Quote from: Txontaw on January 16, 2010, 11:05:21 PM
Notice I said actual Eyktan. Go ahead and choose one, but don't consider it permanent until we meet.

I like that idea. Then we can go ahead and do this little election still ^_^ So let's have people nominate who they want to lead the organization of the first Tribal gathering. They shouldn't be telling everyone what to do, but they should be the final say. Like have everyone state their opinion, then have this leader make the final call. Just so that we can keep this effort more organized.

If we ask the right people, we might want our own board... that would help immensely.

-Uriuujìn

Deamon5550

Quote from: Uriuujìn on January 16, 2010, 10:50:50 PM
Firstly, I need to ask how much is everyone willing to pitch in to help with this. I don't just mean moneywise, either. How much work are you all willing to put in to build everything, make sure everything is stable, workable, and clean? I don't want to be the raincloud, but I do not believe myself mistaken when I say that there will be chores that need doing and work to be done if this is to be successful. Things like building the cabin and tree-houses will be extremely necessary for us if this is to last as long as I hope it will. I personally will not shirk anything that I need to do, but I want to make sure that everyone else is on board in that regard.

I may as well re-state this,
Quote from: Deamon5550 on January 16, 2010, 11:02:50 PM
I would be willing to put a lot of work into building and maintaining the buildings, treehouses (the ones for sleeping) and any other construction work that has to be done.

and I can fill in for any other un-filled jobs.
Kìyevame ulte Eywa ngahu.

join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)