Resources

Started by Key'ìl Nekxetse, August 22, 2010, 05:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmond

Well I was looking around for information on tree-houses and I happened to stumble upon this very interesting idea. I've thought of it before but apparently someone also thought of it before me and has done some research on it already.

http://www.archinode.com/bienal.html

Its a good project to work on after we've settled down.

Help preserve Nature.

Tsyal Maktoyu

That's awesome. A great option if we have any surface shelters. :)

Oh, and Esmond, there's been some more talk in the treehouse thread. In particular the "Free Spirit Sphere" seemed like a popular design.

http://forum.learnnavi.org/official-tribe-matters/tree-dwellings/75/

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Predict

The fab tree certainly looks good, I don't imagine it would be the fastest method though.

Predict

At risk of falling totally off topic, has anyone seen the Gibbon Experience tree houses. A bit outside what we could do but they're some high treehouses:

Esmond

Yeah, that's why the tree fab idea could be set as a long term project. We could be known in another generation or two as the tribe who could speak to Nature and control the trees. XD

But I think its not a bad idea in the long run as we grow and connect more trees. Kinda feels like Hometree where its different trees interwined to create one big tree.

The Gibbon Experience looks awesome, its high but if you go to wikipedia and searched Kowari tribe, I wonder if their treehouses are as high as this.

The Free Spirit Sphere looks to be a very cool concept. I'd really love to see how it'll develop.

Perhaps if we combined these three concepts, we'd get something really special. Though I'm sure this is all just wishful thinking until we actually settle down.

Help preserve Nature.

Teylar ateyo woritan

Yesterday I had a bit of a eureka moment i was just thinking about different problems and how to solve them , one that sprung to mind was waste and I thought 50-200 people what are we going to do with all the excrement then it hit me we might want to do small scale farming and we would have alot of feces hmm fertilizer , disgusting but clever and it is something we have to think about.
to live like a na'vi is to live in peace and in balance with nature

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Teylar ateyo woritan

Yep a composting toilet disgusting but clever  :D
to live like a na'vi is to live in peace and in balance with nature

Tsyal Maktoyu

Hey, everything get's returned to nature eventually...

...though outside of the village, please? :-X ;D

Revolutionist

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Tsteu'itan

When people mention building the houses from trees, I'm always reminded of an article I found a few months ago.  I think I linked it here, too, somewhere.  It showed how some people made houses that had porches grown from trees, and furniture, and things of that sort.

The one I remember the most fondly, though, was the article on the Vine Bridges in India.  They're so amazingly beautiful, and they become stronger over time!

Unfortunately, it took a few hundred (maybe even thousand) years for them to grow to that strength, so I don't know how strong they were in the beginning.  But they're quite amazing, nevertheless.

ETA:  Some of those bridges were made of Wisteria vines in Japan and were really precarious to cross when they were young, apparently.  BUt I found another article with more pictures of the bridges in India.  :)  http://rootbridges.blogspot.com/2009/08/blog-post.html#comments

Tsyal Maktoyu

We could plant some, and it would be our legacy for generations to come. :)

Revolutionist

Esmond

I agree, we can't make everything happen in our generation so we might as well start now for the sake of coming generations.

Help preserve Nature.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Well said. :)

Another idea, if the area we settle on doesn't have plants that could do this, is to set up sturdy rope bridges, and encourage plant life to grow over them. So while it wouldn't be a full root bridge, it would be at least something similar in aesthetic value. ;D

Revolutionist

Tsteu'itan

That's actually a really good idea.  It would keep the structure well-supported in the young life of the pants and at the same time add the strength later in the life of the roots.  Plus, it would be easier to grow them the way you wanted them.

Personally, I looove the bridge that was so thick and sturdy that they'd paved it with stones.  They literally made land where there was none!  :D

'Itan Atxur

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE