Started by Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn, February 20, 2010, 11:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should pets be allowd in the tribe?

Yes
No
Depends on what kind of animal

Ikranä mokri

pics of u living like a hermit

im sorry, i was sorta teh same for 2 weeks btu im very dubious of others (long history)

Tirea Tskoyä has a new look see it[url=http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-

Sayprìsä

I think that pets should be allowed as long as the tribe comes first and the pets get along ok
"You have a gift, Jack.  You do.  You see people."

'Itan Atxur

That's the thing. They wouldn't get along. I think pets MUST serve some purpose for the tribe.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

bagget00

"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

sezawte

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on April 28, 2010, 12:00:53 AM
That's the thing. They wouldn't get along. I think pets MUST serve some purpose for the tribe.

I would have thought that would be a given, otherwise they just end up being inconvinient mouths to feed. I personally think pets are a bad idea but there you go
join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Interested in a camping trip in the UK? Find out more Here

Fnua Atxkxe

I think we pretty much dealt with this topic a while ago, I'm sure if you read throught this thread you will  find the answers there :)
Anyone feel free to add me on msn or skype: [email protected]

Oe kamä ìlä oeyä txe´lan ulte fìtsenge leiu oel hu ayngati ma oeyä smukan sì smuke ulte nga ma Coga, nì´ul to fra´u ^_^

sezawte

Yeah, we need to focus on the location
join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Interested in a camping trip in the UK? Find out more Here

The old Uriuujìn

This thread is gonna be locked, because I think we need to decide on location first- Go look at the newest stuff, it is quite interesting ^_^

Locked.

Gaia ayngahu

-Uriuujìn

guest2859

Okay, I'm going to rip this up out of the archives. Over the past while, I've become emotionally attached to my dog. At first I thought I would have to let him go, but now it's just not going to happen. I'm 16, already work 30 hours a week and make >$350 every 2 weeks. So, seeing on how that is going to work, I see it as absolutely possible to take my dog to a place of rent in a year and a half. Well, I've reduced my college plan to be working on Wind Turbines since they are huge profit in this area, and it will only take 2 years to get through college classes for that (College ending in 2014 instead of 2016), so I will not be making video games. (Except for Doom Builder, I'm already accustomed to that FTHOI.) Yet, I would want to have my dog with me for emotional reasons, and so I don't have to go into depression. I can assure you he is good, but I can't make you believe anything except that he is a schnauzer.

So I would like to get decent discussion on this again, and re-opened the poll: Should we allow pets?

Nìmwey

I don't understand why we/you would not allow animals in the tribe.
After all, humans have had domesticated animals to help us out for tens of thousands of years.

Of course, animals which take more than they give (like reptiles which need terrariums, other small "pets", and I guess my beloved parrots would fit into that category as well) might be unnecessary mouths to feed.
But dogs? Cats? (Although small "ratter" dogs can be just as good at catching rats and mice as any cat.) Horses? When you have a real big patch of land, I would not complain about going on horseback when hunting/exploring/etc.

But of course, it is for you to decide.

In the Blue Moon Tribe however, we are more talking about what animals we will have, rather than whether we will have them at all - because the answer to that is a clear yes.
Ultimately what animals will be used (what types of dogs, horses, perhaps llamas, etc...) depends on the country we settle in.

I don't wish to "bash" someone, but I saw something earlier in the thread, about "leash laws". And I think - is that person being serious? Having dogs on leash in todays modern society is necessary, but leash laws out in the wild - I don't understand the need for that.
And for those of you who worry about cats and dogs getting along - no worries, I've had cats and dogs together for years and they are not born mortal enemies as some without experience in the field seem to think. ;)

Tonbogiri

Domesticated animals may indeed prove useful to us in many ways. Dogs could assist with hunting, cats could keep rodent populations down, and horses would be a lot of fun!

I think the reason we haven't really considered their role or anything is because of a few reasons:
1. More mouths to feed. Dogs and cats would not consume any noticeable amounts, but horses would do.
2. Extra research. If we were to bring pets/domesticate animals, we would need to be more prudent about location choice. We would need to check up on any relevant laws, and even change the land size we're looking for (thinking of horses here). Location research is tricky enough as it is!
3. Medical. Personally I don't like the medical dependency that domesticated animals seem to require these days. My cousin's dog requires an injection once a day - how would he have got this a hundred years ago?! but the sad fact is that most animals require some form of consistent vetinary assistance. While basic physical injuries could be tended by anyone with the knowhow, a diabetic animal for instance would not be able to last without insulin injections.

Let it be known already, I think that domesticating animals with us would only increase our bond with the natural world! But, in terms of logistics, it is difficult. Any more thoughts?

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

'Itan Atxur

My thought is that even this relies on the location we choose. Some pets just won't be suitable in some areas.

Tsyal Maktoyu

We also need to consider the indirect/intangible benefits that either bringing animals with us/domesticating local animals would bring. Yes, a horse is a big mouth to feed, but it also provides a hunting aid, as well as a means of quick transportation and a means to haul around heavy loads or timber if the need arises. Dogs also provide aid in hunting, and cats can be a natural means of pest control around the camp. Not to mention the emotional and spiritual benefit that animals provide. (Humans are biophilic creatures, we need to be around other forms of life ;)).

My $0.02.

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

'Itan Atxur

I definitaly want pets so long as they make sense

guest2859

Well, Radar (my dog) practically launches at anything that moves and chews on basketballs until it's a pile of wet leather. So yeah, he functions as a basic ratter.

Nìmwey

Sorry if I gnaw your brains with this newly found ecovillage-stuff, but I just have to add this.

I check around on a lot of ecovillages, what they allow and don't allow, their "F.A.Q-pages" and so on.
And a lot of them seem to be quite "hostile" to pets/animals. If they allow them at all, there are rules such as "Cats must be kept inside at all times, dogs must be on leashes at all times and are never ever allowed in this and that building, etc..."
Now I'll sound like a rebellious teenager, but GOSH, those are some boring people. ???

But perhaps they are striving for a less "wild" lifestyle than us, more of a modern community, but with green living. Many of them also have very small pieces of land, perhaps just ten or so acres, maybe less, maybe much more, but they are certainly nowhere near hunter-gatherers. (Now I know living entirely like hunter-gatherers is not the idea, but we don't want to live primarily on slaughtering our own animals do we?)

In my opinion, again... dogs should be perfectly fine to let off leash if people just have a basic understanding of the animal and the animals are well-raised/trained. My only concerns would be with unneutered males and females, of course a female in heat can't be let off running everywhere if there are intact males at the village/tribe.
And of course not let them hunt other animals, but like I said, any well-trained dog with a responsible owner should be able to walk without leash (NOT in today's modern society though, that is asking for too much, but we will not be living in today's modern society).

'Itan Atxur

Yeah, people like that do sound boring to me. I've looked into a few successful eco-villages during my research and none of them seem of even remote interest to me.

Alyara Arati

Sorry to be 1) necroposting, and 2) intruding on tribal matters when I am not a member, and 3) speaking out when I haven't read all ten pages of comments, but having gone to Veterinary School, I am concerned about this issue.  Has anyone given any thought to the medical care of any pets you may choose to allow?  Rabies is a very real threat in many locations, and the local wildlife would pose a danger as well.  Unless you plan on killing and eating wounded pets, consideration should also be given to euthanasia, and the legal control of those drugs.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Nìmwey

There are rabies vaccinations.
And as for veterinary care, we will have to learn basic medical care for ourselves/each other too, so basic veterinary care, we should be able to perform.

Tsufätu Ayioangä

I think in the end it really depends on the pet and it's usefulness.  For example I would consider bringing my half-coyote but not my half-chow.  They are roughly the same age (13) but my coyote acts way younger and is still strong.  He has a natural instinct to hunt that, if trained, could be a valuable asset to the tribe.