Skills

Started by Äteya, August 04, 2011, 12:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Äteya

Not sure if this is were it goes but oh well.
This is a list of skills we need. Don't talk about learning them here just talk about which skills we need to learn and which one we don't.

Hunting http://forum.learnnavi.org/real-life-navi-tribe/weapons-and-hunting/
a. Archery http://forum.learnnavi.org/tribe-off-topic/archery-experience/
b. Tracking
c. Stalking
d. Gutting and Cleaning
e. Traping

Pottery

Fishing

Basket weaving

Construction

Business  

Natural medicine

Cooking
a.Water Collection
b.Food storage

General Fitness

Farming

Making Clothing
a. Weaving
b. Tanning
c. Shoe making

Flint knapping http://forum.learnnavi.org/official-tribe-matters/flintknapping/

Plant and animal identification

I have to get off now.
Post more skills and I'll add them to the list.

Txura Rolyu

Basket weaving

Construction

Buisness (taking care of paying property taxes and other things)

Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Tonbogiri

Looks like this is a topic of few words! Still, my contribution:

Water Collection

Natural medicine

Cooking + Food storage

General Fitness (should come with the lifestyle, but people need to be prepared)

I assume hunting covers areas such as...tracking, "owl eyes", "racoon ears" and other such skills?

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Äteya

This is just to help group skills together. And if you know were a thread is that talks about one of these skills please tell me.
QuoteI assume hunting covers areas such as...tracking, "owl eyes", "racoon ears" and other such skills?
Are those from this site? http://www.natureskills.com/ Haven't seen those yet but I just found that web site today.
Hunting means stuff like tracking, using a bow(so I need to put archery as a subgroup) and cleaning the animal.

Tsteu'itan

Tanning.
Farming.
Clothing maker.
Weaving.
Flint knapping if you'll be using traditional tools.  (Though I think this might have been decided against in earlier threads, due to the better efficiency of modern arrow heads/blades.)
Shoe making

Txura Rolyu

Tanning as in tanning a hide? I am thinking it will be very difficult seeing as it requires certain chemicals and heat to make the hide tan. I think somebody should look through the history of how the people, of whatever place we decide on, lived and survived for so long. If Hawaii I am sure that there will be loads of information and you might still find people that you can speak to about living in the wilderness. 
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Tsteu'itan

Native Americans were tanning hides for thousands of years before Europeans brought their methods over.  It's possible to do it without using chemicals.

Either way, you'll need clothing, and the easiest way to get a durable material would be the skins that you took from the animals you killed.  That's why they did it.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Plant and animal identification, I'd rather not poison myself! ;)
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Numeyu92

weapon crafting
sewing
canning (vegetables and fruits)
fishing
martial arts
wildlife tracking
survival
self-sufficiency
first air
stone tools (just in case)
tying knots
rock climbing

also i recommend seeing this website if your serious about ways to learn skills that could be helpful

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/

Formerly known as Ni'awtu92. I ' am now known as Numeyu92 since it represents my personality.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

We need seriously learn about natural disasters and even prepare for them, if it is normal in that country, for example earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunami, volcanic eruptions(Hawaii is an example for volcanic activity and like Chile, Vanuatu, Japan is normal for earthquakes).

another thing is take care of environment, school for teaching kids 'If we need that'

Tsmuktengan

I think it is better to choose a land where there are few natural hazards.

I guess that Na'vin can be very helpful for weapon crafting, at least.

hemmond

Weapon crafting... Depends on what weapons do we want... I think Knives and maybe arrowheads (from the "iron" part) and then bows and arrows (from the wooden part). But what else do we need?

And by contribution:
Woodcrafting (Making things from wood. Little utilities or the whole buildings, jewelery or weapons...)
Swimming (Of course, I doubt, that here is anyone, who can't swim, but still. :D )
old gallery link?id=1849[/img]
old gallery link?id=1890[/img]

http://twitter.com/hemmondssandbox

If it's change in you, then the world is changing too.
--22nd World Scout Jamboree anthem.

guest2859

QuoteHunting
a. Archery - I have a fiberglass bow (standard D-shape, no special hunting bow) with 4 practice arrows. I practice in my side yard when it's warm and no one's around.
b. Tracking
c. Stalking
d. Gutting and Cleaning
e. Trapping

Pottery

Fishing

Basket Weaving

Construction

Business

Natural medicine

Cooking
a.Water Collection
b.Food storage

General Fitness (I read this, and now I don't want eat for a few days. I reallllllllllly need to start working out.)

Farming

Making Clothing
a. Weaving - I'm working on 4444 weaving, or "strand" weaving. I'll eventually teach myself holstering and such with it.
b. Tanning
c. Shoe making

Flint Knapping

Plant and animal identification - +1 for Mammals

That's what I got. In school, our senior class is going through the process of college searching so we can plan an occupation for the rest of our lives. I don't want an occupation, I want a lifestyle, so this seems a lot easier to keep track of than such.

Tsmuktengan

These are great ideas. I guess we should start to find or write guides for this. I am unable to find some on the net.

So, as your college seem to ask you this, what do you plan to do more specifically?

guest2859

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on December 14, 2011, 09:32:18 AM
These are great ideas. I guess we should start to find or write guides for this. I am unable to find some on the net.

So, as your college seem to ask you this, what do you plan to do more specifically?

As in, towards the tribe, or what I'd actually go to college for?

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 14, 2011, 06:52:28 PM

For the tribe I'd say. You have said :

QuoteIn school, our senior class is going through the process of college searching so we can plan an occupation for the rest of our lives. I don't want an occupation, I want a lifestyle, so this seems a lot easier to keep track of than such.

along with the list above where you have left several elements.  SO I thought you were planning to learn these skills or something.  :)

guest2859

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on December 14, 2011, 07:07:47 PM
Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 14, 2011, 06:52:28 PM

For the tribe I'd say. You have said :

QuoteIn school, our senior class is going through the process of college searching so we can plan an occupation for the rest of our lives. I don't want an occupation, I want a lifestyle, so this seems a lot easier to keep track of than such.

along with the list above where you have left several elements.  SO I thought you were planning to learn these skills or something.  :)

Basically I'm teaching myself odd skills, including weaving and archery. (Add guitar to that if it's considered 'odd') But, my current weave project for a new hair/dreadlock type weave will be 3-4 feet long with the 4444 pattern. I have 6-8 inches done with about 2 hours total time put in, and so far I haven't messed up. I'll scan/take some pictures soon and show them. But, my break started and I have a new source of income, so I can start buying materials. And, tomorrow after I get a headset, I'll have $50 left over, and I plan to get crafting junk with it. I'm going into plain weaving soon, which is used for blankets/silk/clothing, etc., just using yarn instead of thread. So, once I get it down on yarn, I'll move up to using a threadlike-wood or leather, to get into true durability and such.