The dry run - lets get going!

Started by Tonbogiri, October 08, 2010, 05:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict

Personally, I would aim to bring more with us in the way of shelter, it would greatly ease the transition. Small prefab structures have been considered and something along those lines could work very well, we're talking four walls, a door, and a roof - we would only need limited floorspace for sleeping and storage and they would offer a far more substantial base for the tribe. And something to fall back on in an emergency.

guest2859

The mythical-ancient Japanese-style houses? Like,

To a smaller scale?

As in, the roof can be a roof with walls, or more like the house I live in, and the roof IS the walls?

Txontaw

I think that tents would be really good for the first week until we get more permanent shelters up. They're cheap, they're built for people who are out in places like wherever we're going, and you can get some pretty massive ones.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

Predict

For the first week (around) tents would be reasonable. Permanent structures would be a priority though, it's worth considering what materials to bring with us initially.

Now those Japanese houses are just cool, I like that.

Tonbogiri

IT would be great if we could build those. SO:

It seems that (in the case of the advanced party) temporary accomodation in the form of sturdy tents is an option, with a view to construction of permanent buildings later.
Were we going to have a sturdy, man-made building for our "command centre" (place with four walls and a roof), where we would keep our communications equipment and any things that require cold storage (i.e. medicines), and for our game designer buddies should they need it  ;)?

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

guest2859

But my issue: I hate tents. I'd end up trying to suspend mine. (And dying in the process) I've slept outside enough times to like it.

Txontaw

Quote from: Tonbogiri on October 20, 2010, 03:49:24 PM
IT would be great if we could build those. SO:

It seems that (in the case of the advanced party) temporary accomodation in the form of sturdy tents is an option, with a view to construction of permanent buildings later.
Were we going to have a sturdy, man-made building for our "command centre" (place with four walls and a roof), where we would keep our communications equipment and any things that require cold storage (i.e. medicines), and for our game designer buddies should they need it  ;)?

That sounds like a good idea.

Quote from: Tirea Ikranä Aean on October 20, 2010, 04:41:45 PM
But my issue: I hate tents. I'd end up trying to suspend mine. (And dying in the process) I've slept outside enough times to like it.

We're not requiring that you stay in a tent. Tents are just a much better solution for the majority.
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

guest2859

Quote from: Txontaw on October 20, 2010, 06:05:24 PM
Quote from: Tirea Ikranä Aean on October 20, 2010, 04:41:45 PM

We're not requiring that you stay in a tent. Tents are just a much better solution for the majority.

I know. I'd still just rather go with the net and hammock.

But anywaaays...

So, back to the walls+roof style building(s): Obviously the need for a working roof would help in this. If given the materials grown around you, you could probably fend off as much water as a leaking house roof is you used leaves/sticks/small branches in the use. The walls wouldn't have to matter so much, as long as the water is guided off. And the game designing building would have to be a modern working building, even if we import a huge shed for it to work.

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

Great ideas so far.. but we also have to take into account bad, even severe, weather. Will the dwellings hold up to tropical storms, monsoons, ect?
To live in the past is to die in the present.

Txontaw

Quote from: Tsamsiyu Atsteu on October 21, 2010, 07:20:08 PM
Great ideas so far.. but we also have to take into account bad, even severe, weather. Will the dwellings hold up to tropical storms, monsoons, ect?

Well, since we're going to be protected by a forest of some kind, I don't think we need to worry too much about hurricane strength winds.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Ok, here's an update on prefab treehouses. I snooped around the Free Spirit Sphere webpage a bit more, and looked at parts, to see if one could get cheap, stripped-down versions, and I found that a frame set + fiberglass sphere, without the interior and door/window, would cost around $2500. Rather doable, IMO, especially since they would be a rather sturdy shelter, and you gotta admit, it would be cool living in a tree. ;D

http://www.freespiritspheres.com/products_frames.htm

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

guest2859

This website's been pulled up before, but I don't know if we exactly voted for anything. I would like to have a tree house, but I don't know if I would trust it.

Txontaw

I think it would be a lot more satisfying living in a structure you built yourself, but if it's necessary, that's a good fallback.

guest2859

Man made, man made, man made... (Thinking)

I can't exactly think of anything except the Japanese buildings I posted a few days ago, a teepee, a survival ditch/roof (The flat board leaning on a log/2 sticks), or dig out the dirt from tree roots.

abi

Quote from: Eana Nantang on October 23, 2010, 11:40:38 PM
Man made, man made, man made... (Thinking)

I can't exactly think of anything except the Japanese buildings I posted a few days ago, a teepee, a survival ditch/roof (The flat board leaning on a log/2 sticks), or dig out the dirt from tree roots.

Maybe this?

Predict

@Free spirit spheres. That'd certainly make for one classy tribal home.

Despite possible financial outlay and the time taken to build, more extravagant structures are impressive and for a society that is more than likely going to be underpopulated anything that draws attention (and members) is a good thing. Artistic expression is important also, there is room for things that are not functional, i.e. Tree houses and body paint.

guest2859

Or, as a timely attempt mentioned a few months ago, we could graft a platform for a treehouse, but then the tree would keep growing, of course.

Tsyal Maktoyu

Quote from: 'Eylan Ayikranä on October 25, 2010, 01:32:24 PM
@Free spirit spheres. That'd certainly make for one classy tribal home.

Despite possible financial outlay and the time taken to build, more extravagant structures are impressive and for a society that is more than likely going to be underpopulated anything that draws attention (and members) is a good thing. Artistic expression is important also, there is room for things that are not functional, i.e. Tree houses and body paint.

Exactly.

When we're up against the modern world, which offers so much flash in it's own way, we need to have a way of being eye-catching, too. Things like tree houses, body paint, etc. bring a bit of fantasy to our project (and, dare I say, make it a bit more...Pandoran? ;D), fantasy which is missing from everyday life, which would give us a better chance of drawing more people. :D

Revolutionist

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Inception

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". - Denis Diderot

Predict

Sort of a "Come for Pandora, stay for planet Earth." kind of thing. If that makes any sense, it does to me at the very least.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

It's as close to Pandora as we're likely to get.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.