Who we are...

Started by Maweya Hufwe, August 26, 2010, 11:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maweya Hufwe

Hello everyone, it has been a while. I regret having left without notice -and soon after joining no less- but I felt it was needed to back away. During my time away, I continued days as usual on autopilot. It wasn't until recently I regained my thirst of spiritual and lively fulfillment, and to this day I still believe my heart lies here with the tribe. I have missed you all quite dearly!

However, upon returning, I've noticed that things haven't progressed much. Note, this is not a judgment, but simple observation. I'm seeing things are still being stretched in different places without anything really being resolved. I'd like, if my kin will permit, to help in any way I can. Perhaps lend me a moment of your time:

I believe one of our main shortcomings is that there is too much focus on trying to get location. As important as finding a place is, I think it's more important to establish who we are as a people first. As one topic quoted "A utopia is not a place, but a people." (Thank you for bring this to us 'Itan Atxur!) Our roots do not start with the soil we seek to land in, but in our souls that cried out to be together in the first place. I believe once we have established who we are, our decisions will be much easier to grasp, since it will all come down to one question: What illustrates who we are best.

We need a firm footing on what we are trying to achieve. Someone mentioned a mission statement, which I believe is a very good idea (bravo 'Eylan Ayikrana). Perhaps one that focuses on what brought us together. The desire for spiritual and emotional fulfillment. The need for community and family. The need for appreciation of nature and our roles in it. The desire for love, trust, and responsibility. The desire to show the world that there IS a better, simpler, healthier, more loving, and safer way to live -and that it WORKS! The need to show that we are one (as the Na'vi were one) and live in accordance to that principle. We are one soul of many heartbeats.

-----

If you will allow, I'd like to lead this discussion into something to help put down Who We Are and What We're Here To Do. I simply ask that we stay on the current topic (Now: trust), we stay as HONEST as possible, and that everyone participates -for a post not made is a voice not heard. I feel once we cover this, we'll be able to summarize our mission statement and base decisions on whether or not it rings true to the statement.

To start with, I'd like to ask my new family what your feelings on Trust are. Do you believe we can trust one another? Can you trust yourself? And if someone betrays your trust, are you willing to forgive? What if you are the one who betrayed someone? Will you make amends to the best of your abilities, or do you have the habit of denying responsibility? Can you shed that habit? Can you trust the natural world, believe that it will give your all your needed nourishing? Can you trust a leader? Can a leader trust his/her people to confide and believe in him/her?

I'll start with my response. I have a hard time trusting people that I feel are not with me in my journey for something. I can say without a bat of an eye that I honestly trust each one of you like I would trust my family, for I believe you are all with me in this effort for a better, fuller life. However, I know some will betray that trust, I believe it would be most unintentional and I am ready to forgive. I am aware that I might falter and hurt someone unknowingly and I would try my best to own up to it and make amends. I believe that to betray another is to betray myself, not in a cliche way but honestly. I TRUST myself to be trustful and honest of others, to do otherwise is a betrayal of myself. I believe I can trust a leader, if s/he shows trust in us and of him/herself. I also trust that if a leader is deemed unfit, that that leader would bow out of his position with dignity, not shadily cover things up. I believe that if a leader is to be watched (as in having another group keep tabs on him/her) then the people do not trust that leader and should not have elected that person in the first place. I feel that a lack of trust is one of the biggest hindrances of nations, and has been for as long as history could be recorded. I pray we trust one another -for if we don't, I strongly feel we'll just make the same mistakes. Trust is vital, for what happens to one, happens to us all -for we are all one.

Now to end this rather lengthy post, I once again ask for everyone to contribute. I also ask for no 'ditto' replies. I believe the tribe wants to hear YOUR replies, since this is for the building of who we are. Once I feel that this topic has run it's course, I'll switch to the next part of the discussion so please check back periodically. Please, everyone read each post -your fellow members have a voice that deserve to be heard, respect that for they ask nothing more than your time. Many errors are made by just getting the 'gist' of things.
"Well... What are you waiting for? Do it."

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Trust is a difficult thing to talk about. I can't really say that I'm trustworthy, because I'm likely to be biased. But I try to tell people the truth, do what I say I will do, and take responsibility for my actions.
I don't know if I trust the members of this project, as I haven't met any of you, but I have to presume that I can. I have no particular reason not to trust any of you.
I try to forgive people, I do my best not to hold a grudge.
Key'ìl Nekxetse on "The Revolutionists"
~$ life --help
The program life received signal SIGSEV. Core dumped.

Predict

I think once 'out there' trust will be a matter of course, the degree to which we will depend on one another necessitates it. It takes me a long time to trust anyone fully but I am pretty forgiving after that, although I do have a habit of making snap judgments regarding trust (usually in the positive at least) I tend to take a more logical approach. *Thank you Ayikranä, now Mr Smith would like to talk to us about his alcoholism* Sorry, I just had this image when I wrote that... 

Now you have taken a big risk getting me started about leaders  ;). I still strongly believe that we can't and do not need to trust a leader, there's no reason to place any more power in one individual in a community of this size. When everyone essentially knows everyone you don't need elected positions to say who is best at certain things, you know from experience and so their opinion carries greater weight than those less experienced. I have no objections to someone elected to help organize the tribe but they should not be charged with making decisions. Once you introduce unequal social status you are submitting to one of the underlying failures of modern civilization, particularly as we all come from such societies I fear it would be easy to default to what we are used to, even if it opposes what we really desire. I hope we can strive to be as egalitarian as possible.
Sorry if that's a bit off topic, to sum it up: I don't trust one leader, I trust the entire tribe.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Very good point 'Eylan!
I expect many things will have to rely on getting to understand how we each work and who is good at what. Everyone has their own strengths. I think we may need someone to keep people focused; this will probably occur naturally being done by anyone who is in a position to do so at the time rather than by a chosen 'moderator'.
I expect trust will be shaky at first but will probably soon grow due to having to work together.
~$ life --help

Maweya Hufwe

At the risk of deviating the topic for a moment and in response to leaders, I think it has less to do with whether or not there is a leader, and more to do with what that leader has the power to do. If the leader is simply there to keep up on track, make and present assessments of what is going on in the tribe, and it there as more of a counselor who asks more questions of his/her tribe ("Given the nature of the situation, what does the tribe think of this?" and so one). I strongly believe in equality of all people, which can only work with trust, but sometimes people need direction.

But! Leaders and government is a discussion for another time. Thanks so much for your views on trust. I understand that it can be a very difficult thing to provide and something most people hold very close -which is why we're bringing it up! Hopefully we will, as a group, be able to ease your hesitations to trust and relieve a sometimes bias nature.
"Well... What are you waiting for? Do it."

Teylar ateyo woritan

i am a new comer to this forum but i have had a longing for such a group ever since i first saw avatar. i beleive that we should base our society on LOVE, PEACE, CARE, ACCEPTANCE, TRUST, HOPE, SUPPORT, FRIENDSHIP, UNITY, HONESTY, SELFLESSNESS i am a person who is honest to be honest a little too honest .(home many times could i say honest into a sentence) the problem with humanity is our narrow minded attitude to everything, if something or someone does not match mans idea of normal it is shunned, destroyed and looked down on, we need to break this mentality if we are to be a good tribe.
to live like a na'vi is to live in peace and in balance with nature

Keye'ung

Quote from: Teylar ateyo woritan on August 31, 2010, 08:35:46 AM
i am a new comer to this forum but i have had a longing for such a group ever since i first saw avatar. i beleive that we should base our society on LOVE, PEACE, CARE, ACCEPTANCE, TRUST, HOPE, SUPPORT, FRIENDSHIP, UNITY, HONESTY, SELFLESSNESS i am a person who is honest to be honest a little too honest .(home many times could i say honest into a sentence) the problem with humanity is our narrow minded attitude to everything, if something or someone does not match mans idea of normal it is shunned, destroyed and looked down on, we need to break this mentality if we are to be a good tribe.

Well i'm far from narrow minded, i'm furry and believe me being in a furry online community ( and irl) you learn to adapt. Everyone has to otherwise you don't really get accepted by everyone. Most of the people on this forum i'd say aren't the narrowminded type- otherwise they  wouldn't be Navi because by being Navi you are immediately breaking all " normality" in human society, so they must be somewhat open minded :)
A question that often drives me hazy: Am I or the others crazy?

Teylar ateyo woritan

I know that knowone on this forum is narrow minded, this is another huge reason why I want to do this so much because I know it's where I belong and where I hopefully will be accepted and aslong as we stick to the words peace care love selfless hope joy acceptance we will have a successful tribe and we should make one of our missions to promote those words to everyone

Esmond

Unfortunately a lot of people nowadays are very narrow-minded. A lot of people can't think for themselves and can only follow others. So if others say something is wrong, it is.

I suppose its human nature.

Help preserve Nature.

Keye'ung

Quote from: Esmond on September 01, 2010, 08:24:49 AM

I suppose its human nature.

Quoted for truth.

Its the sad truth, it annoys me when people are so narrow minded :(
A question that often drives me hazy: Am I or the others crazy?

Teylar ateyo woritan

I agree the narrow-midedness of humanity is one of it's biggest flaws and causes most of humanities problems

Key'ìl Nekxetse

People just need to think.
~$ life --help

Esmond

Most prefer not to. They're afraid of radical ideas, they are afraid of being different, of not fitting in.

Help preserve Nature.

Teylar ateyo woritan

Well I've not been at all bothered about fitting i wear wot I want eat what I want listen to what I want and be who I want to be not what society wants me to be and I get rejected for it, to the world I'm a nutter (the he's weird kind not the psychiatric kind) and they think I should be "normal" well "normal" is boring I want to be nuts then.

Key'ìl Nekxetse

Life's more fun with a bit of keye'ung added in!
~$ life --help

Teylar ateyo woritan

'Itan Atxur

My name is Benjamin Nicolas Alberici-Clark and I can be stubborn as all heck. But the simple fact that I recognize this about myself allows me to see when I'm being stubborn and try to understand why i hold my position the way I do. As a result I truely understand who I am and trust myself completely. Also, from the very first moment I visited this forum I felt like I'd found my people. Then I found the real life tribe. Despite often differing opinions and viewpoints it is clear to me we are all extensions of eachother, and I trust each of you completely.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Tonbogiri

In my view this topic seems to ask the questions: What does the tribe mean to you? and what about yourself?

And so, I shall answer.
I am a member of an online community, a devoted group of people in whom I have a great deal of trust and respect. Their opinions matter to me immensely, and I keep this in mind with every word I say (or rather, every post I make...).

And our goal? To create. To build something out of nothing. To take this, a few blips of data streaming across the internet, and transform it into a real life...to be honest, I struggle to find the right word. Tribe? Ecovillage? Perhaps we are both, or perhaps we are neither. We were all brought here by our desire to respect and protect the beautiful world we all live in.
But what are we not? We are not a bunch of selfish hippies who don't want to pay tax or do any work. We are not a zany cult asking for mass suicide.
We are us.

Hmm. I feel that perhaps I have outdone myself in terms of ridiculous inspirational speeches here...

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...

Key'ìl Nekxetse

That's about right, we don't want offend hippies though!
~$ life --help

Tonbogiri

True!

New Post: WE LOVE HIPPIES!

old gallery link?id=2051[/img]

Na'viru san LearnNaviyä sìk oel olo'txepit nerekx siveiyi talun
    lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpong...