Storm over Pandora ((OOC chat. We got a new name!))

Started by Lehrrap Uniltìranyu, December 31, 2009, 09:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

Quote from: Nume fpi sänume on January 06, 2010, 10:21:19 PM
Gotta say, im loving the story so far. Its nice to see how we all have our own individual thoughts be we're sharing conversations in real time to keep them accurate and in character, and not forcing people to say stuff...

This is, indeed, going really well. I admit at first I thought that the time schedule and pinning down exact times by hour would be a bit of a crunch but in fact it really makes things handy and keeps the pace going. Once all the PM and IM bumps are ironed out this will be truly collaborative.

For the Record, I love character based stuff. We're packing a lot into fairly short, quality posts, IMO.

EDIT: Good character, Unil Txep.

Anyone playing a female Na'vi, I put in someone who seems to like art and can do some herself. If you want to add that and jump in, great, otherwise it can just be a simple bit of characterization for Arik and leave it at that.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

No thanks to the Major timeskips. Due to three problems:
1. It skips over things that others are trying to get done. If I'm going to skip the RP forwards in time, I'm going to post a notice about it so that everyone is ready for it. Eather myself or Coyote are the only two who can declare a major time skip.

If you time-skip to a way far ahead time (like the evening), we'll assume your character is hanging around with the rest of ours and we'll continue along until we get to that point, ignoring what your character does until we reach the same time as you do. I know, the whole 'brutal' truth again, but that's how I'm going to do it.

2. If you just skip whenever you want to, it ruins many chances I have to set up character development moments for all of our characters, as well as plot events.

3. It's rude to not let others have a oppertunity to post something that would advance their characterisation a little, or a lot, or set up sub-plots and the like. Time-skipping (without premission or prewarning and approval by myself or Coyote) is rude because it does exactly that, skip the oppertunitys that would create characterisation and sub-plot, plus main plot events and special moments that I may (or may not) have planned.

What does that mean for you?
Just remember, Ask myself or Coyote if it's ok to Time Skip before you do.
Sänumeyu, it's fine that you've skipped ahead, but you're now 'out' of events. You're free to continue to stay there, but you're going to have to wait for a while until we all catch up to your point in time, ok?

IF you timeskip without promission from eather myself of Coyote I'll give you a warning. If you do it AGAIN, I WILL Boot you from the RP, no excpetions, no excuses. I don't care why you did it, or what your character was planning. I will delete your post, kill off your character, and erase your character sheet. Consider this your first warning.

Note: THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO SMALL TIME SKIPS. Anywhere from 1 min to 4 hours of time skip is fine by me. But if you skip like, 5 hours, or to a new day, or something like that without warning, I will not be pleased and you will get a warning.
Now. I don't want to do that. I don't like it when I have to play the bad guy, so please please please please PLEASE, ASK before you do!

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Mako

Sorry guys. I'm going to take that post out. Anyone want to hook up for some character dev and plot continuance? The only reason I do is a. Because I can't advance my story any further ATM or b. I feel like we should keep the times somewhat close to accurate (ie. Never continue a day more than a day.). Remember, I'm still new to this, though I'm getting the hang of it.

Coyote

Quote from: Tanhìyärina' on January 06, 2010, 11:26:40 PM
For the record, Tireamokri is not Omatikaya.  She's a different clan.  That way I didn't inadvertently rewrite their whole clan structure, and it leaves the Na'vi from the movie available to be NPCs.

And I'll post again tomorrow night, probably, if I can get up the energy.  (5:40 is way before the crack of dawn up here, but it's when I get up too.  At least the days are getting longer in the northern hemisphere.)

Slowly, anyway. Ohhh, I hate to say it but right now a little global warming would be welcome. At least where I'm at.  ;) As for joining in the action at the school, certainly the arrival of some interfering Skypeople would be of interest to outside observers, so I don't think anyone would mind if a visitor wandered by to see what was going on... we want to get our Na'vi folks involved!

QuotePosted on: Today at 03:32:54 PM Posted by: Sänumeyu 

Sorry guys. Feel free to use my character in conversations without conversing with me. Just remember I'm a gruff marine type. The only reason I do is a. Because I can't advance my story any further ATM or b. I feel like we should keep the times somewhat close to accurate (ie. Never continue a day more than a day.).

No prob, but like Lehrrap Uniltìranyu said, it kinda shuts you out of some interesting potential inter-action. If you think of something before the day is out, you can still go back and "modify" your post and put in some interaction.

Heck, I just learned more Na'vi in that one post today than I knew altogether when I started.  ;D
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Sänumeyu on January 07, 2010, 04:32:54 PM
b. I feel like we should keep the times somewhat close to accurate (ie. Never continue a day more than a day.).

Why?

I mean, really? Why? In a RP, time moves as the story demands it too. In roleplay games, hours upon hours (upon days) pass in real life, but you could have spent even more days in those hours then pass in real life, or one day may pass for three weeks in real life. There is not reason for time to be held to our time. Instead, time should flow as the plot demands it too.

Sorry again for being really blunt, but I've never really had to explain this kind of stuff before... -is old RP'er who's been doing this for years-

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Mako

I mean, RP is a simple concept, but it doesn't fit with me to drag a day out for 2 or 3 days. It doesn't feel like a story to me that way. (I'm really into my character. It's gotten to the point where I'm starting to incorporate things that happened to me during the day.)

Coyote

Things are a little "elastic" as they are, with reasonable allowances given, I think, for good development. But I think a lot of us have seen potentially good stories break down because of a lack of good steady pacing. Getting bogged down in minutiae and details one day, or breezing past important stuff the next...

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Mako

Ahh. I got you. Alright, I'm active on MSN right now, just waiting on someone to come to get started.

leli'ua tukru

Sorry to interject (RP time hardly needs to match IRL time... that's just basic RPing knowledge.  Sometimes in order to finish an event properly, six hours of game time could take up to a week to develop!) but, I have a question!

Is it necessary to engage in the skype chats to play?  I have my charsheet posted, and I'm trying to figure out how to wedge in a post... but I'm afraid I've probably missed some of the events that may have developed in-chat... anyone have some advice?  

Mako

I haven't been on skype yet. I'm using MSN ([email protected]) to do all my collabs with other writers. You're Na'vi, right?

leli'ua tukru

Just got a PM on how to continue.  Soooo NVM!

My character is a human security contract. :)

Mako

Then your best bet is to work with Alex and Jax for some convo and throw in a little bit with me and some other Avatar drivers for character development.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

I'll just put it this way.

I don't mind time skips as long as they are reasonable.

A day isn't entirely done until the GM sayz so, but that doesn't mean that I'm just going to drag out every min. of every day simply because I feel like it, it just means that it follows my flow plan.

Beyond that, keep roleplay, and keep doing what you've been doing, because so far I've been enjoying our characters quite a bit and I'm looking forwards to when I get to start throwing in a real plotline short of English School.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Thorinbur

There is no way to match RP time with real life time. For example because of the time zones.
I am 8 hours in front of the forum time (its almost midnight here).
oel kame futa oel kekame ke'u

Mako

I've got some ideas. Hopefully will get a bit of work done in a few minutes. Just curious, who here wants to go rogue eventually? I'm sure it's everyone.

Thorinbur

Maybe we should use google wave for the conversations? It's really great, and you can get invitation in plus minus two days. Or maybe you already have google wave account (I do) I don't want to download third messanger and create third email. And google wave is much faster to use (conversations there are much smoother, and allows one to edit others messages, so it would be great for writing in Na'vi

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

I don't use google wave. I don't like it's layout too much.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Coyote

So far it seems to have just "worked out" that 48 real hours reflects about 24 story hours.

And so far I've been able to participate well enough without access to any of the IMs, but we can still coordnate by private messaging here on site. Still, it'll streamline things to collaborate from time to time via chat so that interaction and conversation can be jointly plotted. It'll prevent conversation lag from developing.

I think I have my ICQ running, my MSN still seems to be having schizo moments. We'll get by, though.  :)

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Mako

Ditto to the above the above post.

Thorinbur

I vote for ICQ than. I already created account especially for this RP.