Storm over Pandora ((OOC chat. We got a new name!))

Started by Lehrrap Uniltìranyu, December 31, 2009, 09:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Because he isn't a NPC.

NPC's are disposable, can be one time or mulit-use characters, created to fit a perpouse.

A Player Character or Game Master's Character is a part of the story, a main character or side character who is part of the plot, right there from start to finish.

Besides, in a forum RP, it's boring as HELL to try to just run NPC's. If you (GM) have a character that you are always in control of that is part of the story, you don't have to make a gazilion NPC's, just four or five or six that you can keep track of to keep the story going, minus a few enemies here and there.

Do you see the point yet, Thorinbur?

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Thorinbur

No. For this is still NPC. NPC, doesn's always mean an unnimportant side character. NPC means well... non player character. When i was GMing I was very often create important NPC, and even create sheet for them. Some of my characters were joining my team, other where residing in some place where it could be found, and whene time was going i was also updating my important NPC's. But this is not really important. It's just the name. I only got confused who will be GMing. Now when everything is clear there is no reall difference if we call it GM character on NPC. It's another character witch will play some role in our adventure and learning. So summimng up we got 3(4) chars we are ready to go or we wait for one more player? (I learned 80 words today and i would like to accualy start using Na'vi somewhere so someone could check. (I wan't to learn as much as i can before friday when i go to cinema again, because after that I will wait for DVD and i have no idea when it will be released (espetialy that Avatars world premiere was 18th  and in Poland it was 25th. (I watched it 28th) and same thing can happen to DVD premiere...) ).

EDIT: now we got 4(5)characters. Thats number from first post, so i would propose to lock characters thread. And start playing (I realise that connecting characters and making good plot, writing first post would take some time, but it's time to accualy confirm all characters and close unnecesery threads link posts ans so...)!
oel kame futa oel kekame ke'u

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

I want to see who all is intrested first. Paitence Thorinbur...

And I'm not really 'GMing' this. Kinda. I'm just supplying the setting and plot, sometimes nudging the story along. Beyond that, I'm just another PC.

I'm not really sure how to explain it. I've been forum RPing for years and I've never had someone call me Game Master for a game I've created. This is kind of a new experiance for me. Everyone just called me another player character.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Thorinbur

Again it's just name... You wrote in your first post about 5 players including you.. Now we got 6 players including you... What is more its Two Avatars, one pilot and two Na'vi... I suggested closing list. Because this would be unfair to pick peple after thay will create their characters and say "Sorry you will not play, because I dont like your char, nick, or hair colour... or names you use :D.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

I suppose.

Character list is now closed. I'll get to work on a Intro Post asap.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Thorinbur

Sngä'i Tìrey-yä

So I have to ask, just because I'm excited for this to get going, when is this actually going to start?
Avatar is a movie about a guy with blue balls running through the forest chasing tail.

Tanhì'itan

Quote from: Sngä'i Tìrey-yä on January 03, 2010, 02:22:50 PM
So I have to ask, just because I'm excited for this to get going, when is this actually going to start?

I think we are in the process of establing character profiles and clan/tribes. I have yet to see another clan submitted an approved as mine has been. Currently recruiting for mine.

Ikran Tribe

Ma Tsmuke: Tanhì'ite
*Loves the Sea Clan Leader from movie.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Well, the clan's are not invovled in this RP Tanhí'itan.

I'll be setting up my intro post. As soon as that's up, it's open season.

Human characters start on the ISV Lighting Hawk.

Na'vi characters start on the edge of Hell's Gate, watching the new arrivals (once we start comeing down).

I'll have the first post up soon, and then we can begin.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Coyote

My intro post is pretty much ready to go, so once you start, Lehrrap Uniltìranyu, I'll be ready to follow up.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Thorinbur

What happened to my character? I am out off roleplay? Should read someone else's post, or wait little longer?

Coyote

Some trivia, if anyone is interested: Marines generally don't refer to one another as "Soldiers". Soldiers are what they call guys that are specifically in the Army. Army and Marines look similar in many ways, but they don't mix.

Marines will call each other "Marines" ("hey, Marine, where's the chow hall around here?")
Air Force will call each other "Airman" ("s'cuse me, Airman, you seen a restaurant around here?")
Army will refer to each other as "Soldier" ("hey, Soldier, where can a guy get something to eat around here?")
Navy will refer to each other as "Shipmate" or... you guessed it, "Seaman." ("yo, Shipmate, what's the chow situation around here?")

Army and Air Force go to "Basic Training"
Navy and Marines got to "Boot Camp"

It's not a big deal; we're just here to have fun, not make diamonds.  ;) But if you want to add a bit of flavor, I can help with the military stuff; I've had years of RL experience with it.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Brainiac

Quote from: Coyote on January 04, 2010, 07:52:23 AM
Some trivia, if anyone is interested: Marines generally don't refer to one another as "Soldiers". Soldiers are what they call guys that are specifically in the Army. Army and Marines look similar in many ways, but they don't mix.

Marines will call each other "Marines" ("hey, Marine, where's the chow hall around here?")
Air Force will call each other "Airman" ("s'cuse me, Airman, you seen a restaurant around here?")
Army will refer to each other as "Soldier" ("hey, Soldier, where can a guy get something to eat around here?")
Navy will refer to each other as "Shipmate" or... you guessed it, "Seaman." ("yo, Shipmate, what's the chow situation around here?")

It's not a big deal; we're just here to have fun, not make diamonds.  ;) But if you want to add a bit of flavor, I can help with the military stuff; I've had years of RL experience with it.
So, "Private" is that in the army, marines, or both?

EDIT: question to everyone:
Are we going to refer to as the anthropological or the xenological team? Because anthropology is study of humans... (literal translation, I've never taken any courses, but you know what i mean)
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on January 04, 2010, 07:59:14 AM
Quote from: Coyote on January 04, 2010, 07:52:23 AM

It's not a big deal; we're just here to have fun, not make diamonds.  ;) But if you want to add a bit of flavor, I can help with the military stuff; I've had years of RL experience with it.
So, "Private" is that in the army, marines, or both?

Are we going to refer to as the anthropological or the xenological team? Because anthropology is study of humans... (literal translation, I've never taken any courses, but you know what i mean)
"Private" Is a rank of a marine or a soldier just just got out of bootcamp, really.

I won't post the entire ranking system. All you need to know is that you don't call a Marine a soldiers and you don't call soldiers marines, and you may live to see tomorrow.

Also, for guys like my character, Marine Aircore, they are still called Marines, because they had to go though all the same s*** that the normal Marine does, they just take to the sky to transport the marines into the hellzones.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Thorinbur

Oh ok i see now. There is no GM... great than i gues i will prepare my intro post also... Sorry for a mess..

Coyote

Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on January 04, 2010, 07:59:14 AMSo, "Private" is that in the army, marines, or both?

Yeah, "private" is how Army & Marines both start out. There's no need to go too in-depth with it since it can get complex (for example, the difference between a "captain" in the Army vs. the "captain" of a ship are worlds apart). If things like that come up for some reason, feel free to ask here or send a PM.

Also, the RDA security forces are not actually Marines or Army, but verterans hired as private security contractors. It's not official government, but more like Blackwater. So they may be using a different rank system entirely, although with the head of security being a die-hard Marine (Quaritch) he probably just assigns ranks according to the Marines.

As for the anthro- vs xeno- I was wondering that too. I'm assuming (and we all know the dangers of that!) that the first people that would be grabbed for contacting aliens would be anthropologists since they have the most applicable backgrounds to start with. The JCAW seems to refer to people as "anthropologists" who work among the tribes, so I'm thinking that for clarity we can just go with that. Learning Na'vi is enough; thinking up a whole new taxonomy for a branch of science that is purely theoretical at this stage is... yeah;D

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Thorinbur

Wow. I never reallized how hard it's to write long posts in english trying to use poetic comparrisions and "big words" Sory for all the mistackes i will be making there but english is not my primary language. If you would see some big mistaces i would be glad if you will point them here so will be able to correct them and learn somthing.

Brainiac

Quote from: Coyote on January 04, 2010, 09:57:05 AM
Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on January 04, 2010, 07:59:14 AMSo, "Private" is that in the army, marines, or both?

Yeah, "private" is how Army & Marines both start out. There's no need to go too in-depth with it since it can get complex (for example, the difference between a "captain" in the Army vs. the "captain" of a ship are worlds apart). If things like that come up for some reason, feel free to ask here or send a PM.

Also, the RDA security forces are not actually Marines or Army, but verterans hired as private security contractors. It's not official government, but more like Blackwater. So they may be using a different rank system entirely, although with the head of security being a die-hard Marine (Quaritch) he probably just assigns ranks according to the Marines.

As for the anthro- vs xeno- I was wondering that too. I'm assuming (and we all know the dangers of that!) that the first people that would be grabbed for contacting aliens would be anthropologists since they have the most applicable backgrounds to start with. The JCAW seems to refer to people as "anthropologists" who work among the tribes, so I'm thinking that for clarity we can just go with that. Learning Na'vi is enough; thinking up a whole new taxonomy for a branch of science that is purely theoretical at this stage is... yeah;D
Oh, darn. My character has a degree in Xenology, so I might have to change that, no?
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Coyote

Quote from: Lì'uyä täftxuyu on January 04, 2010, 10:05:33 AM
Oh, darn. My character has a degree in Xenology, so I might have to change that, no?

I don't think it's worth worrying about; callling it "xeno" is actually more accurate. Considering people have known about Pandora for 20 years or so, I'm sure University programs have already grown to reflect xeno- studies.

I was even going to make it part of my character RP-- he'll nitpick about the name, just to provide some flavor.  ;) He'll consider himself a "xenogeologist", heh.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Coyote

Quote from: Thorinbur on January 04, 2010, 08:34:03 AM
Oh ok i see now. There is no GM... great than i gues i will prepare my intro post also... Sorry for a mess..

Technically, Lehrrap Uniltìranyu is the GM, or at least he's the one coordinating everything.

And don't worry about the language issues, it'll help you with that as well. I did total-immersion living overseas for 4 years myself and it is hard.

Learning a made-up language in a second language? Wow, I salute you, sir! You're working harder than I am, that's for sure!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8: