Storm over Pandora ((OOC chat. We got a new name!))

Started by Lehrrap Uniltìranyu, December 31, 2009, 09:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

This thread is for those intrested in Na'Vi 101 and perhaps joining the RP. All Out-of-Character chat will take place here, in order to keep the RP thread as uncluttered as possible.

Comments, questions, ideas, characters, and the like are all welcome here. I'm working on a character sheet that will be the 'standard' for the roleplay, and it should be ready soon.

Here's the character sheet. Please, Copy-Paste it and write it out as you please.

Name: (Your username, just so that I know who's character is who's.)
Character Name: (The name of your character. (Must have a human name)
Age: (The five and half years (or so) in cyro doesn't count towards your age... kinda.)
Occupation: (Avatar Pilot? Guard for the Avatar Pilots? Transport Pilot?)
Experiance Speaking Na'Vi: (How well do you understand the Language we are here to learn?)
Apperance: (Written out description/ Picture/ Drawing of yourself or a custom-made character, along with what they usually wear.)
History: (A little Biography about your character so we can understand where they came from. I may take information from the History sections to create sub-plots in the story, so this is importent.)
Training: (What kind of training has your character undertaken as a Avatar pilot/ Guard/ Gunship Pilot?)

That's about all I have, if you want to add something to it, I am fine with that.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Jake Sully_

Quote from: Lehrrap Uniltìranyu on December 31, 2009, 09:30:41 PM
This thread is for those intrested in Na'Vi 101 and perhaps joining the RP. All Out-of-Character chat will take place here, in order to keep the RP thread as uncluttered as possible.

Comments, questions, ideas, characters, and the like are all welcome here. I'm working on a character sheet that will be the 'standard' for the roleplay, and it should be ready soon.
Are we allowed to add or subtract anything from the sheet once it's made?

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Of course, minus a few basic things. Just double check it with me first. I'll try to keep the Character Sheets small, ok?  ;)

If you take out too much, then we don't exactly have much of a character to work with in the first place! Oeng omum fí!

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Tanhìyärina'

I am interested in joining, but I have a couple questions.

Are you going to be actively GMing the experience?  (I only ask because I joined a forum RP once where I thought there would be a GM, and there was not, and it was horrid-- just not my style.)

In a couple days from now, my life is going to get extremely busy.  I should be able to check for posts at least every other day, and I will certainly try to check every day, but working 80 hours a week doesn't really leave you much time to do much else besides eat and sleep.  I also have a previous engagement for the third full week of January and will not be able to be online during that time.  Is that going to be acceptable?

So if all this is alright with you, may I please join?

Irayo!
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

That sounds fine to me. And if by 'active' GMing the experiance I'm closely watching whats going on and trying to keep everyone on track, then yeah, kinda.

And thats perfectly fine. Even I'm not going to be on everyday (don't let the fact that I'm always logged in fool you!), and everyone has things they need to do on various days that take them away from the computer.

Fpom lu hu aynga, Tsmuké.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Eywayä Irrtok

I reckon this would be heaps of fun, but I don't really know how to start... :S
Tìng mikyun nìltsan, fì'u fya'o ne tslayam letok lu -- mune sì mune tsìng lu.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Well, when I get the character profile up, you make a character sheet and post it here. That's where you would start.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Brainiac

okay, I'll post it here then ^_^

I'd like to join, sir  ;D
Speed is a ppoor sbubstitue fo accurancy

Check out my blogif my presence on this board isn't weird enough for you.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Fpom, tsmukan, Ayoe lu fítsenge nume Na'Vi.

You are welcome here.

Peace, Brother, we are here to learn Na'Vi.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Thorinbur

I am also interested i am quite experienced in roleplaying (i am GMing DnD sessions with friends from time to time, and i took part in couple of sessions (both forum and live) as player (DnD, neuroshima) ) I really like universum created by Cameron. And here is the sheet.

Name: Thorinbur
Character Name: I need to think... I will edit that post today or tomorow, when i will think of something interesting.
Experiance Speaking Na'Vi(Me): Totally new (but with dictionary i think i will menage to follow up until learnin it).
I will create Appereance and History in one or two days i need to think about that, because i cant tything original right now.
oel kame futa oel kekame ke'u

Coyote

A couple things to bear in mind would be the time frame. Would it be at the time of human-Na'vi interaction, but before Jake arrives and the war happens? Or would it be that period of uncertainty immediately after the war?

If we set it before the Skypeople War, or the Tawtute tsam, we have at least 20 years of human-Na'vi interaction, but there may be a sense that certain actions should or should not be taken so as to avoid interfering with the continuity established in the move (or maybe we don't feel the need to follow what happened exactly?).

On the other hand, if we set it after the tsam, we'll have very few human characters and they're pretty much guaranteed to be friendly if they were allowed to stay, making conflict difficult... unless the conflict comes from other tribes who want all Tawtute wiped out/gone...

Of course, as established in the "Na'vi 101" sample thread, we can pick it up a couple years later when the next batch of Tawtute have arrived... that might be the best compromise, so we have the movie events to refer back to but a fresh new crop of potential drama brewing with new arrivals coming.
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Tanhìyärina'

Alternately, we could set it before the Skypeople War, and establish that it is in a different universe-- not binding us to move towards the events of the movie but using the conflicts established there (human-Na'vi tension, etc) to take the story in a different direction.  Perhaps Jake's brother would not have died, so there would be no Jake, or perhaps one of the other Avatars was accepted into Na'vi society.  Perhaps Grace's school was not shut down.  There are a lot of options.
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Thorinbur

If we will pick something now it would be much easier to come up with some interesting history for our characters. For example we would be able to reffer to movie while creating it, on the other hand... We would be limited later... Hard to decide.
I spoted another problem.
About time we can play. Its 10PM in Poland(where i live) now. So it maight be sometimes hard to gather online. (I know its forum session, but one post a day is quite slow.) Lucky i dont go to bed too early so it maight not be such big problem. 

Coyote

Well, the idea isn't so much chatroom-style, instant interaction. It's more like... I write the first page, for example, where I introduce my characters and describe what they're doing. Then others read it, and if they find it interesting, they'll bring their character in and write the second page, where it shows them reacting to what my characters are doing. And so on.

It can make things slow, of course, especially for conversations. What I've always done in the past on the Star Wars board I RP at is I'll get with the other player in a Private Message and we agree on what we want our two characters to do together, then once we agree we don't have to role-play a whole conversation one sentence at a time (boring!  ;)) over the next two weeks, but rather we're allowed to write for the other person's characters so long as we are respectful, keep them in character, etc.

It is slow at first, but once we all get to know one another's characters and posting styles, and what types of things each of our characters would and would not do, it picks up quickly. In my Star Wars story, some of us have been playing in that since 2004 and at this stage we can easily write one another's characters for pages at a time; some of us even "borrow" each others' characters for whole plot arcs that last for months. But again, it took a long time to get that familiar with each other.

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Hmmm, something to think about indeed.

Before the Tawtute tsam, tensions would be high, the need to learn Na'Vi would be great, and we could take the story in a very diffrent direction.

Come to think of it... what if we set it... say, two years before the Tawtute tsam, in a alternitive universe where Tom Sully lived?

I can think of some great plot points already... -smiles happly at the thought-

Plus, it makes it possible for a military character to join in much easyer, because after the Tawtute tsam, I can imagine that beyond pilots, and maybe guards, they arn't letting any more military people onto Pandora.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Thorinbur

It's roleplaying not movie worshiping. I'm fine with alternative history. Especialy if it will be much easier to create history. So i think it's good idea to put it before movie. Does this English school works? (I saw movie only once, cant remember whose school that was (I am going on friday to IMAX again,hopefully i will understand some Na'vi language, like for example blue flower, witch was not translated, but now i know)Ups sorry for off topic.

I'm ok with 2 years befor movie.

It would be good if everyone willing to participate would at least pick a "class" (guard,pilot, avatar pilot), so we could immagine team. I cannot decide between pilot, and avatar pilot, but for example  if everyone would like to be avatar pilot, then i would be pilot. Or maybe Uniltiranyu would like certain class distribution?

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Acually... that's not a bad idea.

I think I'll have Grace's English School open for the RP... we can use that as a teaching/studying Na'Vi language area, and I can see a few plot points happening there.

But first: I want to know if everyone is ok with 2 years before the events of Avatar in a alternitive universe.

Also, I'm fine with any distribution of characters. It could be all Avatar pilots and I would be ok with that, just a little more NPC work for me.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Coyote

Plus, there's nothing saying we can't have two or three different stories going on at once, and people will gravitate towards what they like. At Spacebattles.com, there are Star Wars stories, a couple Star Trek stories, and a variety of self-made "magic+tech" stories. Some have very set rules and game masters; some are almost entirely freestyle with just a few agreed-upon do's and don'ts. 

There could be a story going on with nothing but Na'vi, set hundreds of years in the past, even. Or a tale that takes place just on Earth, or someone could start a story that pulls Avatar and Aliens/Predator together in the same universe, as postulated in one of the other topic areas. People can play in whatever setting they like, or all of them if they feel they have enough time on their hands.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Right. However, thats a outside story and thought.

Here, we are discussing the roleplay of 'Na'Vi 101' and how and where it should be set before we begin, as well as setting up characters.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Coyote

I like the idea of either a couple years before the Tawtute tsam, or a couple years after as the first humans begin to return and figure out "what happened?" while they were in cryo. Both offer good settings & potential.

And there's no need to religiously adhere to the movie; the events don't even have to take place at all, or happen earlier, later, etc.

Is there a way to have a poll option so that potential participants can vote?

VIDEO LOG DAY 8: