Storm Over Pandora - Those Left Behind (OOC THREAD)

Started by Lehrrap Uniltìranyu, July 01, 2010, 11:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Coyote on January 06, 2012, 03:34:57 PM
Let's see if the continuation takes hold; but if not we can consider a total reboot.

That's my problem though, I don't think there is a way for the continuation to take hold. We don't have enough of the old guard.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
"Better to have fought and died then never to have fought at all"
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Mako

Some cataclysmic event that wipes out most of the (non-active) resistance could be arranged.

EDIT: And your number isn't the same anymore is it?

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Reyona te Tsateka Ray'i'itan on January 06, 2012, 04:42:30 PM
Some cataclysmic event that wipes out most of the (non-active) resistance could be arranged.

EDIT: And your number isn't the same anymore is it?
Heh, that isn't really a reboot there San. I'm talking a true restart. From the top.  :-X

I think that might be what's needed to really get going. Don't get me wrong, I love everything we did. I mean, we are -the- s***.  8) There isn't a RP on Learn Na'vi that can touch us (and on that note, Bionic Arms and Pandora is STILL the most read fanfic on Learn Na'vi.)

But we gotta face facts. It's been literally over a year since this RP has been touched. Sure, we're dusting off the cobwebs, but there is only so much that we can do with a half-remembered storyline for events that took place that some of the motions and memories behind it aren't easy to be remembered anymore.

TL;DR: I love this story, but if we want it to live, we're going to have to try again, and get some more blood pumping into it.

Also, my number hasn't changed. 7193147304

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------
Bionic Arms and Pandora, The most read FanFic on Learnnavi.org! Read it here! -Shameless self promotion-

Mako

I'm game. I love my character, but I've become a much better writer now.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Coyote on January 06, 2012, 03:34:57 PM
Let's see if the continuation takes hold; but if not we can consider a total reboot.

Get on MSN so we can talk.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Coyote

Well, the plotline where we are at is pretty easy to remember; and really once we hit Sengtsil territory it really become sits own story. So far, hanging out at Kelutral and all is (in a way) just retelling the movie on our own way. Kelutral, Iknimaya, Hell's Gate, and so on-- it was everything we saw in the movie, and we're kinda acting out what we would have done in Jake Sully's place.

The journey north to end the corruption of a far-away tribe in a new landscape puts us in a whole new place; and we aren't just following in Jake Sully's footsteps; we become more like Jake Sully in the movie: experiencing new things, new sensations, not knowing what the expectations are or understanding the rules. They'll be just similar enough to be familiar and comfortable writing, but dissimilar enough that we're doing our own, new adventure.

As it is, our characters are under siege by Warren Childs, and in a way Warren Childs is also under siege in that he has to have all his ducks in a row before the Venture Star arrives, or his supporters back home will throw him under the bus and say he was a guy gone rogue. So there's a guarantee of action since he's not totally in control himself.

[EDIT]: Wow, doing some numbers here...
The Storm Over Pandora story line has three chapters to it, with a total of 30 pages, combined, here on the board.
All together, SOP has been viewed 11,819 times, all together.

Our next closest competitor is "Ikran Tribe of the Eastern Sea", with 57 pages total, on one chapter, and 7,682 views. They do tend to have shorter individual posts on average, which ends up being a higher page rate.

We have a lot of folks reading SOP; I wonder how many reader/lurkers are following along but not saying anything? I like to tell myself that Paul Frommer and James Cameron are avid fans, heheheh!!  :D I know, I'm just having fun with the notion.  ;)
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Coyote on January 06, 2012, 08:03:25 PM
Well, the plotline where we are at is pretty easy to remember; and really once we hit Sengtsil territory it really become sits own story. So far, hanging out at Kelutral and all is (in a way) just retelling the movie on our own way. Kelutral, Iknimaya, Hell's Gate, and so on-- it was everything we saw in the movie, and we're kinda acting out what we would have done in Jake Sully's place.

The journey north to end the corruption of a far-away tribe in a new landscape puts us in a whole new place; and we aren't just following in Jake Sully's footsteps; we become more like Jake Sully in the movie: experiencing new things, new sensations, not knowing what the expectations are or understanding the rules. They'll be just similar enough to be familiar and comfortable writing, but dissimilar enough that we're doing our own, new adventure.

As it is, our characters are under siege by Warren Childs, and in a way Warren Childs is also under siege in that he has to have all his ducks in a row before the Venture Star arrives, or his supporters back home will throw him under the bus and say he was a guy gone rogue. So there's a guarantee of action since he's not totally in control himself.

[EDIT]: Wow, doing some numbers here...
The Storm Over Pandora story line has three chapters to it, with a total of 30 pages, combined, here on the board.
All together, SOP has been viewed 11,819 times, all together.

Our next closest competitor is "Ikran Tribe of the Eastern Sea", with 57 pages total, on one chapter, and 7,682 views. They do tend to have shorter individual posts on average, which ends up being a higher page rate.

We have a lot of folks reading SOP; I wonder how many reader/lurkers are following along but not saying anything? I like to tell myself that Paul Frommer and James Cameron are avid fans, heheheh!!  :D I know, I'm just having fun with the notion.  ;)

Many a good point. Please speak with me on MSN.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Coyote

I'll see what I can do --I am not at my usual console, I'm on travel orders for a weekend Reserve meet in Salt Lake City. I'm at the hotel right now and have to hit the sack soon.

But meanwhile, I wrote a message to the folks at Ikran Tribe who are also experiencing a slowdown. I figured since our two stories have the most activity, we must have the most motivation!  ;)
In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.

Lehrrap Uniltìranyu

Quote from: Coyote on January 06, 2012, 08:56:08 PM
I'll see what I can do --I am not at my usual console, I'm on travel orders for a weekend Reserve meet in Salt Lake City. I'm at the hotel right now and have to hit the sack soon.

But meanwhile, I wrote a message to the folks at Ikran Tribe who are also experiencing a slowdown. I figured since our two stories have the most activity, we must have the most motivation!  ;)
Heh, sounds good. Still, talk to me when you can. We really need to get some IM time in so that we can talk.

-----------
"Ta'em 'eko!!!"
-----------
-----------

Tanhìyärina'

I wanted to post something, but life took a kind of nasty turn for me and I'm not sure I can do much until this coming weekend.  But I'm thinking about it and working on it!
Fitseng lu oe, tìftia kìfkeyä seri.

Coyote

No problem, I wanted to wait and see who came out of the woodwork with anything after my in-story post, and see if there was any stir generated with the proposal I made to the Ikran Tribe RP'ers as well. But things have been quiet....

<_<

>_>

...too quiet. I was hoping to see more people jump back in by now, but, um... I'll assume people are still re-reading the older stuff to get re-acquainted. Yeah, yeah, that's it.

If Tanhiyarina is going to put something together, then I'm going to get another post ready that focuses on events back at the Iknimaya base, maybe Hell's Gate, and the Sengtsil tribal lands. Besides, Blake and Liz's Avatars are in for a rude, cold shock when they get off the Zeppelin.  ;)

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

Mako

El Jacko

Lurkin' until I've finished this first bout of exams. Once these are over I'll have the procrastination time to get creative, but until then I've got to learn Engineering Dynamics. Should be done with the major pressure either next thursday or the following monday, hopefully by which there'll have been some development in the story I can have my way with.

Fortunately, Sheppard's arc of the story is somewhat independent of the main line for the time being, so I should be able to jump in nicely when I get the chance.
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

Coyote

We also need to know if Oscar will be back with us, or if he's going to become Purina Palulukan Chow.

Jacko, would Sheppard at this point try to apply pressure to the traveling band and hunt them down, or...? Feel free to PM if you want to avoid revealing anything too juicy. Maybe Shep is the one to deliver Jax to the Sengtsil. If so, would he do it as "I captured a random Na'vi" or "I captured Jax"?

I may also find a way to eliminate some of the "extras" back at the Iknamaya camp...

In recent discussion with Lehrrap, he discussed a restart, from the beginning. If we get a bunch of new people to come in, then technically, that might be the most rational choice, and I see the utility of that. But as a writer, for me and my characters, I really want to see this one through. I've grown quite attached to them, even with long periods of down time. We've got the longest running RP in the board, with the most completed posts and reads; it's be a shame to lose that, but that's just my opinion. I admit I do tend to get sentimental about characters, so I'm not totally objective...  ;)

Lehrrap's also going to military basic training soon, so he'll be away for a few months, and what we might do is try to revive this and see how far we can get. If it takes off again then obviously we still have "life" and if not, maybe it'll be a sign.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:

El Jacko

Quote from: Coyote on January 17, 2012, 06:08:47 PM
Jacko, would Sheppard at this point try to apply pressure to the traveling band and hunt them down, or...? Feel free to PM if you want to avoid revealing anything too juicy. Maybe Shep is the one to deliver Jax to the Sengtsil. If so, would he do it as "I captured a random Na'vi" or "I captured Jax"?

I'll have a butchers at the main story some time today/tomorrow, when I've got half an hour, and work out where everything looks to be going. Odds on I've fallen into a chaotic-neutral rut that might be worth continuing.
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

El Jacko

Quote from: El Jacko on January 18, 2012, 09:29:40 AM

I'll have a butchers at the main story some time today/tomorrow, when I've got half an hour, and work out where everything looks to be going.

My timing is brilliant.

Having a look back through over the next few days, I'll report back towards the middle of next week after my Systems exam.

El Jacko

Right, I've had a look through, I'll have something written at some point next week (after tuesday).

I've also dropped a PM over to Coyote regarding the character direction.

And while I'm here, bumping the thread.

Emtokay

I'd like to create a character then join in, Someone PM me with more info for the right place to post my character then allow me to read over the story then re-read and come up with how I can join the plot. 
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Coyote

Sorry-- still here, and my timing sucks. No sooner do I stir th epot to get everyone interested again, I have to face a family emergency that has us all focused for awhile.

Is it a karma thing? Did I drown kittens in a previous life?

But no, all is not as bad as feared; suffice to say-- no, it is not bone cancer, my mom is not hovering on the brink of death, bless her hypochondriac little heart. So the last two months spent intensely focused are... yeah.

Back soon.

VIDEO LOG DAY 8: