Vedic Hymn X,121 - Pesu lu sa'nok?

Started by eejmensenikbenhet, May 01, 2011, 06:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eejmensenikbenhet

Kaltxì ma oeyä smukan smukesì, on school we were learning about Hinduïsm. Other religions' holy books don't interest me that much but I was interested when our teacher told us there were a lot of hymnes in the Veda. I immediately thought of translating such a hymn to Na'vi. When I started searching I found X, 212 To the unknown God and started to translate it. I had to change some things, but I'm finally able to present the result:

English translation from sanscrit by Max Müller
Na'vi translation from English by EMIBH
English translation from Na'vi by EMIBH

1. In the beginning there arose the Golden Child; as soon as born, he alone was the lord of all that is. He stablished the earth and this heaven. Who is the God to whom we shall offer sacrifice?
1. Mì sngä'ikrr 'Evengìl alu 'Om slamu ruseyit; pxiye'rìn maw 'amongokx po, eyktan fra'uyä po anì'awtu lamu. Po seykxel sami kifkey sireasì. Pesu lu sa'nok tuper awngel tayìng aylì'ut alu swok?
1. In the beginning a Violet Child became alive; immediately after she was born, she alone was the leader of everything. She made the world and the spirits stronger. Who is the mother to whom we give sacred words?

2. He who gives breath, he who gives strength, whose command all the bright gods revere, whose shadow is immortal, whose shadow is death. Who is the God to whom we shall offer sacrifice?
2. Po pesul tìng yat sì payit, po pesul tìng tìtxurit, pesuä aywayit steraw Na'vil nìwotx, pesuä ruk ke tsun terkup, pesuä uk kxitx lu. Pesu lu sa'nok tuper awngel tayìng aylì'ut alu swok?
2. She who gives air and water, she who gives strength, whose songs are heard by all Na'vi, whose shadow is death. Who is the mother to whom we give sacred words?

3. He who through his might became the sole king of the breathing and twinkling world, who governs all this, man and beast. Who is the God to whom we shall offer sacrifice?
3. Po pesul, ìlä  feyä tìfkew, slamu Eyktan nì'aw kifkeyä atxanatan, pesul eyk fra'ut, ayNa'vi ayioangsì. Pesu lu sa'nok tuper awngel tayìng aylì'ut alu swok?
3. She who, by her might, became the only leader of the ... world, who leads everything, Na'vi and animals. Who is the mother to whom we give sacred words?

4. He through whose might these snowy mountains are, and the sea, they say, with the distant river, he of whom these regions are indeed the two arms. Who is the God to whom we shall offer sacrifice?
4. Po ìlä fesuä tìfkew lu ayRam aLusìng, ulte aytampay, hu kilvan alìm, po mì pesuä mepun frapo lu. Pesu lu sa'nok tuper awngel tayìng aylì'ut alu swok?
4. She by whose might is the Hallelujah Mountains, and the seas, with the far away river, she in whose arms everybody is. Who is the mother to whom we give sacred words?

5. He through whom the awful heaven and the earth were made fast, he through whom the either was stablished, and the firmament; he who measured the air in the sky. Who is the God to whom we shall offer sacrifice?
5. Po pesul ngolop tawti sì kifkeyit nìfya'o awin, po seykxel sami meu, sì aysanhì; po pesu mamunge ya mì taw. Pesu lu sa'nok tuper awngel tayìng aylì'ut alu swok?
5. She who created the sky and the world fast, she strengthened both, and the stars; she who brought air in the sky. Who is the mother to whom we give sacred words?

6. He to whom heaven and earth, standing firm by his will, look up, trembling in their mind; he over whom the risen sun shines forth. Who is the God to whom we shall offer sacrifice?
6. Po vay pesut kifkeyìl sì tawli, tìng mikyun peyä ayway ulte meuä ronsem, tìng nari; po tafkip peseng tsawkeyä atanìl zup. Pesu lu sa'nok tuper awngel tayìng aylì'ut alu swok?
6. She to who the world and the sky, listening her songs and the minds of both, look up; she from up among where the sunlight falls. Who is the mother to whom we give sacred words?

7. When the great waters went everywhere, holding the germ, and generating light, then there arose from them the breath of the gods. Who is the God to whom we shall offer sacrifice?
7. Pehrr txana fayìl kamä fratseng, munge rina' aneympin, ayfol ngop atanit, tsakrr ftu ayfo aysireal slamu ruseyit. Pesu lu sa'nok tuper awngal tayìng aylì'ut alu swok?
7. When the great waters went everywhere, bringing the light colored seed, they created light, then from them the spirits became alive. Who is the mother to whom we give sacred words?

8. He who by his might looked even over the waters which held power (the germ) and generated the sacrifice, he who alone is God above all gods. Who is the God to whom we shall offer sacrifice?
8. Po pesul ìlä feyä tìfkew tamìng nari teri fayit a rina' mamunge ulte pesu ayway si, po pesu nì'awtu tirea sireaio lu. Pesu lu sa'nok tuper awngal tayìng aylì'ut alu swok?
8. She who by her might looked over the waters which brought the seed and who sang, she who alone is spirit above spirits. Who is the mother to whom we give sacred words?

9. May he not hurt us, he who is the begetter of the earth, or he, the righteous, who begat the heaven; he who also begat the bright and mighty waters. Who is the God to whom we shall offer sacrifice?
9. Pol ke tìsraw seykiyevi awnget, po pesu lu ngopyu kifkeyä, fu po, eyawra 'awpo, pesu lu ngopyu taw, po pesu lu ngopyu fay afkew. Pesu lu sa'nok tuper awngal tayìng aylì'ut alu swok?
9. May she not hurt us, she who is the creator of the world, or she, the right one, who is the creator of the sky, she who also created the mighty waters. Who is the mother to whom we give sacred words?

10. Pragâpati, no other than thou embraces all these created things. May that be ours which we desire when sacrificing to thee: may we be lords of wealth!
10. Ma Eywa, mì mepun kea lapoä tup ngengeyä lu sìngop nìwotx. Ayoeyä liyevu sal a ayoe pawn krrpe ayoel tayìng ngengar aylì'ut alu swok: Ayoe liyevu sute lefpomtokx!
10. Eywa, in the arms of no-one other than yours are all created things. May the things that we ask when we give you sacred words be ours: May we be healty people!

If you find any mistakes, please post them. (There probably are a lot of them...)
This was previously posted in the Fiction / Fanfiction borad but I thought this would be a better place.

Alyara Arati

Lora tìkangkem lu!  Oel mok 'awa 'ut nì'aw.  Tsun nga sivar lì'ut alu txanatan fte livu ral fì'ur *twinkling*, kxawm. :)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

eejmensenikbenhet

Oe ke tsun nivong ngati nìwotx... Ngaru ral lu peu?
*twinkling*? Txanatan? ???

Alyara Arati

"of the breathing and twinkling world"  In your translation you left this part as "kifkeyä alu ..." and I thought you could use txanatan (bright, vivid) in the place of "twinkling".  The meanings are not that close, but the general feel is the same.  It was only a suggestion of mine, not a criticism in any way.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

eejmensenikbenhet

Oh, had forgottten that completely XD Irayo!