fì + i

Started by Mech, January 09, 2018, 12:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mech

As a rule, i know that Na'vi avoids long or double vowels. I have een explicit examples of tsa- + a being simplified to tsa- (as in plural tsay- instead of tsaay-).

However I dont remember seeng any examples, or reading any rules about what happens when we want to say "this ikran". Would it be fì-ikran, or fikran (or, even, fìkran)?

I checked some automatically generated examples in dict-navi.com and indeed it provides examples like fìikran , but this is unlike what I know about Na'vi so far (my hunch), so I had to ask if there is an explicit rule or example about this.

Plumps

Kaltxì ma Mech,

for a confirmation there is this. As you said correctly it talks about tsa- + a and fì- + ì. Other combinations are treated as usual; i.e. tsa- + ä and fì- + i remain as is. There is an official example of fìikran, if I'm not mistaken, on Na'viteri but at the moment I'm unable to find it :-\

Have to check with my sources later.

Edit: It was fìioang ;)

You can find the example here

Tirea Aean

despite being unlike what you've heard, it's still fìikran because i and ì are not the same.

Mech

My (mistaken) hunch was because in other places ì + i seem to be merged, despite being different vowels.

One such example is tinan from tì + inan, and not tìinan

So we have fìikran but not tìinan:o

Possible explanation: perhaps the nominalizing prefix is considered more like a part of the word with a strong connection that tends to merge similar vowels; but the "connection" of a prenoun to the noun is less "strong", so that similar (but not identical) vowels remain seaparate  ???

Tirea Aean

Yeah, that would be my theory as well.

And we also have things like ayyerik, ayyayo, and fya'o-o and tsko-o despite identical double vowels and double consonants not being a thing; I think it only happens at morpheme boundaries.

and apxaa / aapxa ==> apxa
and meylan, pxeylan, peylan from 'eylan
tsatan from tsa-  atan
etc.

yeah I guess it's a bit weird. If anything If there were a merger on iì / ìi, I would have expected fikran, having lost the ì due to the i being stressed.

Now, what about tsa-ätxäle? Is that one any less weird? it's still tsaätxala to my knowledge.