<er> infix position 2

Started by Srereu Aynantanghu, January 04, 2010, 12:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srereu Aynantanghu

in my dictionary it shows <er> as the imperfective aspect infix, and that it goes in between the consonant and vowel in the last syllable
so I have 2 questions

1. is this for certain, or was <er> derived from other things and not necessarily correct? it doesn't show up in the pocketbook. :-\

2. for a word like Sreu (dance), where the desired syllable has no consonant, do you just put the infix before the vowel (ie Sreru)?  ???

Taronyu

Update your dictionary. Mine is the only one that has those in them: the link is in my sig.

We're not certain. It should be sourced as wikipedia, now.

Sr<1><2>e<3>u

Sr<a<r>m>e<äng>u - I was dancing (pejorative)

omängum fra'uti

It goes in the second to last syllable, not the last, and they go before the vowel rather than after the consonant of the syllable.

<ei> and <äng> go in the last syllable, so that would be sre<äng>u or sre<(e)i>u

<er> is from an example Frommer gave in the language log where he gave a description of some of the grammar.  It's probably not listed some places because aspect is one thing that is hard for English speakers to get as a concept independent from tense.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Srereu Aynantanghu

QuoteUpdate your dictionary. Mine is the only one that has those in them: the link is in my sig.
Ah thank you, I've been using your dictionary from new years eve to make some flash cards, looks like I'm gonna have to start again, haha. Definitely the definitive resource for me at the moment, thank Eywah for you.
QuoteSr<1><2>e<3>u
ah, see, I thought position 2 was final position, I didnt realize you split it that way

<er> is from an example Frommer gave in the language log where he gave a description of some of the grammar.  It's probably not listed some places because aspect is one thing that is hard for English speakers to get as a concept independent from tense.
thats actually bad news. It may not be required, but tense is pretty important, I think

sr<er>eu would be "dances", then?

Taronyu

Ke tìkawng, ma tsmuktu.

Yes, that would be dances. :)

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Tsteua Tukru on January 04, 2010, 01:01:58 AM
QuoteUpdate your dictionary. Mine is the only one that has those in them: the link is in my sig.
Ah thank you, I've been using your dictionary from new years eve to make some flash cards, looks like I'm gonna have to start again, haha. Definitely the definitive resource for me at the moment, thank Eywah for you.
QuoteSr<1><2>e<3>u
ah, see, I thought position 2 was final position, I didnt realize you split it that way

<er> is from an example Frommer gave in the language log where he gave a description of some of the grammar.  It's probably not listed some places because aspect is one thing that is hard for English speakers to get as a concept independent from tense.
thats actually bad news. It may not be required, but tense is pretty important, I think

sr<er>eu would be "dances", then?

<er> isn't tense though, it's aspect.  However because English doesn't express aspect independently from tense, a lot of people confuse it for tense because of the example.

Srereu Aynantanghu

The reason this all started was because I found my last name meant "brave spear", which translated quickly and easily into na'vi. But I then realized how stereotypical the name sounds, and I thought the only name that could be more cringe-worthy would be Srereu Nantanghu, but I'm very tempted to make it my name anyway just because it's so amusing.

Quote<er> isn't tense though, it's aspect.  However because English doesn't express aspect independently from tense, a lot of people confuse it for tense because of the example.

ya, whoops, I knew that, just had a brain fart. haha. I meant to say aspect is important even if it isn't absolutely required by the grammatical rules

Taronyu

Had I known you wanted to be Kevin Kostner, I would not have helped you.

omängum fra'uti

DO IT!  I don't think that name actually crossed my mind, that's great.

And yeah, aspect is important, but I find myself explaining why it isn't tense to people at least once a day.

Srereu Aynantanghu

QuoteI find myself explaining why it isn't tense to people at least once a day.

Well hopefully your sticky of Common Mistakes will alleviate some of your troubles  ;D

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Srereu Aynantanghu on January 04, 2010, 03:09:13 AM
QuoteI find myself explaining why it isn't tense to people at least once a day.

Well hopefully your sticky of Common Mistakes will alleviate some of your troubles  ;D

You name is the awsome, and not ironic at all.
私は太った男だ。