<uy> - how formal do I want to be?

Started by Alyara Arati, January 09, 2011, 03:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alyara Arati

I was thinking of writing some poetry nìNa'vi for which I'd like to use ngenga as a sign of respect, but I don't want to be too formal.  Do I have to use the <uy> infix?  Irayo in advance.
Alyara Arati
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

wm.annis

Quote from: Alyara Arati on January 09, 2011, 03:32:15 PMI was thinking of writing some poetry nìNa'vi for which I'd like to use ngenga as a sign of respect, but I don't want to be too formal.  Do I have to use the <uy> infix? 

You don't.  The ‹uy› infix is more often used in specifically ceremonial contexts, rather than just for formality.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: wm.annis on January 09, 2011, 03:36:49 PM
Quote from: Alyara Arati on January 09, 2011, 03:32:15 PMI was thinking of writing some poetry nìNa'vi for which I'd like to use ngenga as a sign of respect, but I don't want to be too formal.  Do I have to use the <uy> infix? 

You don't.  The ‹uy› infix is more often used in specifically ceremonial contexts, rather than just for formality.

isn't that also the case with ohe and ngenga? I thought there might-have-been some kind of connection in those three.

what do we know for a fact about these words?

wm.annis

Well, in Ultxa3.mp3 around 10:35, Frommer says "the honorifics I think should be restricted to really {garble} mostly ceremonial."

Tirea Aean

Quote from: wm.annis on January 09, 2011, 03:43:46 PM
Well, in Ultxa3.mp3 around 10:35, Frommer says "the honorifics I think should be restricted to really {garble} mostly ceremonial."

so how can we be formal without being ceremonial?

wm.annis

Well, he did say "mostly ceremonial."  The honorific pronouns seem much more likely to be used outside of ceremonial contexts, as in, for example ngenga lu pesu? (Na'viteri).

Tirea Aean

Quote from: wm.annis on January 09, 2011, 03:49:41 PM
Well, he did say "mostly ceremonial."  The honorific pronouns seem much more likely to be used outside of ceremonial contexts, as in, for example ngenga lu pesu? (Na'viteri).

--noted.

Alyara Arati

Thanks for the input.  I thought <uy> was a little over the top for what I wanted, but I wasn't certain about usage.  I still think I'm going to use the honorific pronoun, though; maybe I'm writing a semi-formal poem. :D
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

'Oma Tirea

<uy> is indeed rare because it is the ceremonial infix.  Kewnya Txamew'itan commented on how it should be used:

Quote from: kewnya txamew'itan on September 14, 2010, 04:33:43 PM
This is very important. It would be like saying "verily, may I request from thee that thou doth give to me the salt which thou art possess'd of" instead of "please pass the salt".

As for ohe and ngenga vs. oe and nga, it seems like wm.annis got it here.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: kewnya txamew'itan on September 14, 2010, 04:33:43 PM
This is very important. It would be like saying "verily, may I request from thee that thou doth give to me the salt which thou art possess'd of" instead of "please pass the salt".

That always makes me LoL... the first time i saw that:

HRRRRRRRRRHH nìhawng. ;D

but its true stuff...