Nì Preposition?

Started by Na'rìng, January 31, 2010, 02:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na'rìng

From a different thread, there was one sentence I, for the most part, could understand:

QuoteFrom wm.annis:
Tsa'u nìlaw lam - that seems clear

Now in the word 'nìlaw', the preposition 'nì' confuses me: I haven't found any information yet concerning that preposition! Can you help me please?

----------

One more question: in TeamSpeak, there is something called a 'team', which has been translated to Na'vi as "PonguPlltxe", which means 'group speak'. I do not think that is technically right, for a compound word you need the participle 'us' between the two words. So "PonguPlltxe" becomes "PonguusPlltxe", and due to the fact you cannot have two like vowels right besides each other, it becomes "PongusPlltxe". (I hope I'm on track on this so far!) I really do not know if lentition applies to the participle, if so it then further becomes "FongusFllte", right? Insight on that would be nice! (Fongusfllte for 'group speak' as one word... I like it, and it sounds nice when you say it!)

----------

One more thing: before lentition, if a word has two r's or two l's (rr & ll), do you drop one of the two? ll -> lentition -> l; rr -> lentition -> r?
Eywa ngahu ma smukan.
Eywa'evengä yawne lu oeru.

It kraon. XD!!! (Speak it the Na'vi way)

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

the preposition "nì" basically means "in" like in "nìNa'vi" which means "in - the way of the people".
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Na'rìng

Ok, thanks on the first question!

now how about the other two questions?
Eywa ngahu ma smukan.
Eywa'evengä yawne lu oeru.

It kraon. XD!!! (Speak it the Na'vi way)

wm.annis

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawntsaheylu on January 31, 2010, 02:25:25 PM
the preposition "nì" basically means "in" like in "nìNa'vi" which means "in - the way of the people".

No!  The prefix nì- is not a preposition, its job is to change a word into an adverb.  "In the way of the people" for nìNa'vi is just nicer in English than "Navily."  :)

Na'rìng, there is no rule that says you must use a participle infix for compounds.  That just happens to be where we're seeing examples currently.  Finally, lenition only changes the sounds px tx kx p t k ts ' — no form of l ll r rr are changed in lenition.

omängum fra'uti

It doesn't seem like ll or rr would ever even be in a position to be lenited anyway, we have no examples of them existing in a syllable by themselves, they are always preceded by consonants.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: wm.annis on January 31, 2010, 03:06:18 PM
No!  The prefix nì- is not a preposition, its job is to change a word into an adverb.  "In the way of the people" for nìNa'vi is just nicer in English than "Navily."  :)

So sorry, slipped my mind, him saying preposition just put it in my head.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it