Olo'eyktane?

Started by Ftxozan, August 04, 2010, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pxia Säsngap

So, you'd use these endings on palulukan and similar words? (hrh sounds a bit funny... palulukanan... :D )
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

omängum fra'uti

Right now, I wouldn't no.  That's what I meant when I said that we don't know if they are productive.  Even if they are, I wouldn't use them unless it was important to get across the gender, and it was unclear from context.  IF it is indeed a productive suffix AND it fit the need of clarity, then yes I would.  It sounds no more odd than "tswayayon" or "*tìtìran", both of which are applications of affixes which results in similarly duplicated syllables.  (Though the second is not a currently defined word so it wouldn't be done necessarily.)
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Payä Tìrol

If it's not productive, like "tì-" and the gender suffixes, then you basically have to wait for PF to release a word using it for it to be correct. Most of us will probably understand you if you try something non-canon, but it won't be correct :P
I think the only cases where verb infixes change are when you try to infix before "rr" and "ll". Those tend to mess up <er> and <ol>, respectively.
Oeyä atanìl mì sìvawm, mipa tìreyä tìsìlpeyur yat terìng

Pxia Säsngap

Well, of course with Palulukan it isn't so very important right now. But what about 'eylan? That's a word I'd like to put in a (fe)male version quite often, because in German you use this word only telling the correct gender, and if you don't people will probably misunderstand, that's why I don't feel well using just an undefined version of this word... So, what'd you do in that case, then?
Eywa ayngahu
Ma oeyä eylan aynga oeru yawne lu <3 ;D :D ;D

Muzer

You realise that Na'vi isn't German and stop trying to make it so. Use 'eylan unless it would be ambiguous.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Ftxozan

How would I introduce "my girlfriend" in na'vi? Being that we are not mated before eywa... Heh.
Nang! Arrows don't kill people... Na'Vi kill people!

Hawnuyu atxen

Maybe "oeyä yawne" (or: "Poe oeyä yawne lu."-"She's my beloved.")? ;)
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Ftxozan

Ok that makes sense. I like how with po you can use e but without pawl e on other words is a shot in the dark or just incorrect... We don't know! Irayo.

Does Dr. Frommer ever post on these threads to clear up any controversy such as this?
Nang! Arrows don't kill people... Na'Vi kill people!

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Hawnuyu atxen on August 11, 2010, 09:52:07 AM

Kehe.  English allows you to use adjectives like they're nouns; Na'vi does not.  That said, we have the word yawn(e)tu—beloved one.  That should suffice, i think.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Hawnuyu atxen

Quote from: tigermind on August 11, 2010, 10:36:24 AM
Quote from: Hawnuyu atxen on August 11, 2010, 09:52:07 AM

Kehe.  English allows you to use adjectives like they're nouns; Na'vi does not.  That said, we have the word yawn(e)tu—beloved one.  That should suffice, i think.

That makes sense... oeru txoa livu...

Quote from: Ftxozan on August 11, 2010, 10:30:38 AM
Does Dr. Frommer ever post on these threads to clear up any controversy such as this?

Even if he does, he does it in incognito :D
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Kì'eyawn

No problem, ma Hawnuyu atxen.  This is why we're here:  We're all learning the language together.  What one person may have missed, another will remember ;)
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

omängum fra'uti

If I were to introduce someone as my yawntu I probably wouldn't even bother using poe, I'd just use po.  If I was using po, then probably you already have something about them in mind, either a previous mention of said person or them being right there, so you probably already know I mean a female.  Therefore that is not necessary there.  And even if you didn't, what does the gender matter?

This may be a difficult concept for someone to pick up when they have had a gender system drilled into their head (I'm looking at you German and French) but most the time gender just doesn't matter.  You can usually say exactly what you need without it.  "Girlfriend" is actually even worse because it carries connotations that the word itself does not bear in meaning.  Literally a friend who is a girl does not have to be your "girlfriend", so trying to say 'eylane and mean the same thing would be a mistake.  In this case, I think yawntu bears the meaning quite nicely.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!