Adjective -a- with hypothetical dipthong adj

Started by Kame Ayyo’koti, June 12, 2015, 12:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kame Ayyo’koti

When the particle a is applied to an adjective with an a already on that side, the two a's "blend together" into one.

But what if we have an adjective beginning with the diphthong ay? Would they "blend" then?
«'u aay» or «'u ay» ?
"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart give yourself to it."

Kemaweyan

We don't use -a- in this case. Also it happens not only when there is diphthong. For example we have the word apxa and we use it without -a- at any side:

apxa kelku
  kelku apxa
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Tirea Aean

apxa kelku, kelku apxa.

There are no adjectives that exist that start with the diphthong ay. And -a- only goes on the adjective when used attributively.

I would expect that as soon as we get an adjective that starts with ay, such as (made up example) ayla, then its attributive form I would expect would be ayla anyway. not aayla. We shall see. If Frommer makes such a word, we will see it in an example, and most likely, that example sentence we will see whether -a- is used or not.

Wllìm

Interesting question! :D

I agree with Tirea Aean: I think that a-ayla would quickly contract to ayla in speech.

Also note that there are words like oel (wel?) and nìayoeng (nayweng?) of which the contracted pronunciation is not followed in spelling. In this case however I think the spelling would probably follow, because we have the example that a-apxa becomes apxa in spelling because it is contracted in speech.

All of the above is pure speculation of course :)

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Wllìm on June 12, 2015, 08:37:05 AM
Also note that there are words like oel (wel?) and nìayoeng (nayweng?) of which the contracted pronunciation is not followed in spelling.
Is a "mini-dictionary" of all short form and colloqual words of Na'vi desirable? :)
nìayoeng adv. pronunced as: nayweng – [naj.wɛŋ]
As for oe, see:
http://forum.learnnavi.org/language-updates/confirmation-on-pronunciation-of-oe-words/

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-