Re: Productive at all?

Started by Ikran Ahiyìk, January 07, 2011, 09:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikran Ahiyìk

At least -o is productive, you can check the dictionary.

nì - productive for adjectives only
tì - productive if «us» also used, for gerunds

You may say säspxin txe'lanä disease of heart, or something like spxin txe'lan lu the heart is sick,
but for sickness... I'm waiting for the committee... :P
Plltxe nìhiyìk na ikran... oe fmeri sìltsan nì'ul slivu, ngaytxoa...

See the new version with fingerings!

Sireayä mokri

Check Taronyu's dictionary, it has all inflections marked as productive/non-productive.

Quote from: Ikranari on January 07, 2011, 09:00:01 AM
how would you say sickness of heart and lungs?

Fìfya:

Quote from: Ikran Ahiyìk on January 07, 2011, 09:10:02 AM
säspxin txe'lanä
When the mirror speaks, the reflection lies.

Plumps

Perhaps a bad example because tìspxin exists and is Frommerian.

But maybe win would be a good example. You will maybe see *tìwin used as 'fastness, the state of being fast' or something and people will probably understand it but it will be a bit unpredictable until there is a canonical example

Tirea Aean

dont stick tì- on any word. existing tì words are in the dictionary.

its kinda the same deal of saying "ness" makes any English word into a legit noun. and trying to make the words governness, existness, beginness. and the words government, existence, and beginning are the real way to say them. for that reason, -ness is not productive in English. same deal with tì and the others in Na'vi. tho some exceptions occur such as any adjective may become an adverb with nì-.

Säfpìltu

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 07, 2011, 01:03:23 PM
dont stick tì- on any word. existing tì words are in the dictionary.

its kinda the same deal of saying "ness" makes any English word into a legit noun. and trying to make the words governness, existness, beginness. and the words government, existence, and beginning are the real way to say them. for that reason, -ness is not productive in English. same deal with tì and the others in Na'vi. tho some exceptions occur such as any adjective may become an adverb with nì-.

Actually, -ness is productive if it's combined with an adjective. Any adjective. Tì- and <us> should be productive and make a noun when added to a verb, in the same way -ing works in English. (Bear in mind that English is very confusing in this, as the -ing ending exists in verbs, nouns and adjectives; I'm singing, my singing sounds good, and I'm a singing person.) So a verb such as srese'a prophesy -> tì-sr<us>ese'a (the/a) prophesying.
Säfpìltu te Na'rìng Meuiaeywayä'itan.

Tirea Aean

i was tryin to say that tì-

UNLESS you are making a tì-<us> gerund,

just cant be done on will. I wasnt really clear...sorry bout that.

the -ness was a bad parallel example...
Karma to the corrector.

Säfpìltu

Thanks for that.

Still, is there a guide somewhere to let us know which affixes are productive and which aren't? This should perhaps be implemented in the Nutshell..?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Säfpìltu on January 20, 2011, 03:40:21 PM
Thanks for that.

Still, is there a guide somewhere to let us know which affixes are productive and which aren't? This should perhaps be implemented in the Nutshell..?

the dictionary was always the source for that stuff. it says, as said a few posts ago, it IS or IS NOT productive.

Säfpìltu

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 20, 2011, 03:46:41 PM
the dictionary was always the source for that stuff. it says, as said a few posts ago, it IS or IS NOT productive.
I hear that, but I can't find it anywhere... Should I be able to find it in http://eanaeltu.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviPlainDictionary.pdf ?

Lisa

I always go here to get the latest dictionaries.     :)
Oeru syaw "Tirea Ikran" kop slä frakrrmi layu oe "Grammar Skxawng"   :)

Säfpìltu

Thanks. I hadn't noticed that one. So if I want to "produce" a word using affixes, I can try looking up my own suggestion there, and if I can't find it, it's wrong, right?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Säfpìltu on January 20, 2011, 05:17:30 PM
Thanks. I hadn't noticed that one. So if I want to "produce" a word using affixes, I can try looking up my own suggestion there, and if I can't find it, it's wrong, right?

If you can NOT find your word in HERE: http://j.mp/Autodict , then it is NOT a recognized word and is advised you rephrase with existing words.

tì- forms are listed.
nì- forms listed.
sä- forms listed.
le- forms listed.
by request of Dr. Frommer.

derivationals listed in appendix with corresponding information on productivity.

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 20, 2011, 06:25:47 PM
tì- forms are listed.
nì- forms listed.
sä- forms listed.
le- forms listed.

... -vi forms listed, and some otherwise unnecessary -tsyìp forms listed :P

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!